Help me round out my collection.

Last response: in Video Games
March 15, 2005 1:32:24 AM

Hello,

I'm a relative newbie to flight sims, but I'm looking to both expand
and diversify my collection (I currently own Freespace 2, MSFS 2004,
Independence War 2 and IL2-Sturmovik Gold).

Can anyone recommend a few more "must-haves"? I'm looking to add
another 4 or 5. My only suggestion is that any suggestions try to cover
as many sub-genres are possible. For example, I don't really need 5 WW2
sims - unless, of course, some are really special. I also already have
space-sims covered, but could use a modern air combat sim.

Also I ask that only sims since 2000 be considered - For me, I've found
that really old graphics are only tolerable when it comes to nostalgia.

Finally, cost and computer specs are not an issue.

I appreciate any suggestions.

More about : round collection

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 12:22:36 PM

<TheHamsterKing@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>

> I'm a relative newbie to flight sims, but I'm looking to both expand
> and diversify my collection (I currently own Freespace 2, MSFS 2004,
> Independence War 2 and IL2-Sturmovik Gold).
>
> Can anyone recommend a few more "must-haves"? I'm looking to add
> another 4 or 5. My only suggestion is that any suggestions try to cover
> as many sub-genres are possible. For example, I don't really need 5 WW2
> sims - unless, of course, some are really special. I also already have
> space-sims covered, but could use a modern air combat sim.
>
> Also I ask that only sims since 2000 be considered - For me, I've found
> that really old graphics are only tolerable when it comes to nostalgia.
>

> Finally, cost and computer specs are not an issue.
>

> I appreciate any suggestions.

Are you collecting these titles to just have them sitting on a shelf? Or
are you going to actually play them? Not trying to sound like and ass, but
if you're really "collencting," then I guess you'd want every title you can
get your hands on. On the other hand, if you're like me, you will end up
having about 25 sims, only 2 of which you play with any regularity.
(Personally, I play il2-FB/AEP/PF, and Falcon 4.0 almost exclusivley).

James
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:06:41 PM

No offense taken. That's certainly a fair question. I guess I collect
to play. To give you an idea of how I think : Let's say that today, I'm
in the mood for a driving game... I have about 5 that I play on a
regular basis. If I feel like playing a rally game, I'll load Colin
McRae. If I feel like playing a F1 game, I'll load F1 Challenge, etc. I
guess I just like a variety of options.

In otherwords, I'd basically like the same vaiety in my flight sims.

That's what I like about FS2004, although it's a commerical flight sim,
there is a lot to choose from. This is also why I've generally avoided
sims whose title is an actual plane - suggests little variety. IL2 is
an exception because of the universally great reviews.

Thanks again.

James Calivar wrote:
> <TheHamsterKing@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >

> > I'm a relative newbie to flight sims, but I'm looking to both
expand
> > and diversify my collection (I currently own Freespace 2, MSFS
2004,
> > Independence War 2 and IL2-Sturmovik Gold).
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a few more "must-haves"? I'm looking to add
> > another 4 or 5. My only suggestion is that any suggestions try to
cover
> > as many sub-genres are possible. For example, I don't really need 5
WW2
> > sims - unless, of course, some are really special. I also already
have
> > space-sims covered, but could use a modern air combat sim.
> >
> > Also I ask that only sims since 2000 be considered - For me, I've
found
> > that really old graphics are only tolerable when it comes to
nostalgia.

> > Finally, cost and computer specs are not an issue.
> >

> > I appreciate any suggestions.
> >

> Are you collecting these titles to just have them sitting on a shelf?
Or
> are you going to actually play them? Not trying to sound like and
ass, but
> if you're really "collencting," then I guess you'd want every title
you can
> get your hands on. On the other hand, if you're like me, you will
end up
> having about 25 sims, only 2 of which you play with any regularity.
> (Personally, I play il2-FB/AEP/PF, and Falcon 4.0 almost
exclusivley).

> James
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:20:57 AM

<TheHamsterKing@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>

> I'm a relative newbie to flight sims, but I'm looking to both expand
> and diversify my collection (I currently own Freespace 2, MSFS 2004,
> Independence War 2 and IL2-Sturmovik Gold).
>
> Can anyone recommend a few more "must-haves"? <snip>

Are you mainly looking for Flight Sims?

Here's a few sims that you might enjoy:

Enemy Engaged Commach vs Hokum (Helocopter sim)
Janes USAF
Falcon 4.0 with Superpack
Pacific Fighter (you can install this to same dir as IL2)
Lock on Modern Air Combat
!