Help me round out my collection.

Hello,

I'm a relative newbie to flight sims, but I'm looking to both expand
and diversify my collection (I currently own Freespace 2, MSFS 2004,
Independence War 2 and IL2-Sturmovik Gold).

Can anyone recommend a few more "must-haves"? I'm looking to add
another 4 or 5. My only suggestion is that any suggestions try to cover
as many sub-genres are possible. For example, I don't really need 5 WW2
sims - unless, of course, some are really special. I also already have
space-sims covered, but could use a modern air combat sim.

Also I ask that only sims since 2000 be considered - For me, I've found
that really old graphics are only tolerable when it comes to nostalgia.

Finally, cost and computer specs are not an issue.

I appreciate any suggestions.
3 answers Last reply
More about help round collection
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    <TheHamsterKing@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >

    > I'm a relative newbie to flight sims, but I'm looking to both expand
    > and diversify my collection (I currently own Freespace 2, MSFS 2004,
    > Independence War 2 and IL2-Sturmovik Gold).
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a few more "must-haves"? I'm looking to add
    > another 4 or 5. My only suggestion is that any suggestions try to cover
    > as many sub-genres are possible. For example, I don't really need 5 WW2
    > sims - unless, of course, some are really special. I also already have
    > space-sims covered, but could use a modern air combat sim.
    >
    > Also I ask that only sims since 2000 be considered - For me, I've found
    > that really old graphics are only tolerable when it comes to nostalgia.
    >

    > Finally, cost and computer specs are not an issue.
    >

    > I appreciate any suggestions.

    Are you collecting these titles to just have them sitting on a shelf? Or
    are you going to actually play them? Not trying to sound like and ass, but
    if you're really "collencting," then I guess you'd want every title you can
    get your hands on. On the other hand, if you're like me, you will end up
    having about 25 sims, only 2 of which you play with any regularity.
    (Personally, I play il2-FB/AEP/PF, and Falcon 4.0 almost exclusivley).

    James
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    No offense taken. That's certainly a fair question. I guess I collect
    to play. To give you an idea of how I think : Let's say that today, I'm
    in the mood for a driving game... I have about 5 that I play on a
    regular basis. If I feel like playing a rally game, I'll load Colin
    McRae. If I feel like playing a F1 game, I'll load F1 Challenge, etc. I
    guess I just like a variety of options.

    In otherwords, I'd basically like the same vaiety in my flight sims.

    That's what I like about FS2004, although it's a commerical flight sim,
    there is a lot to choose from. This is also why I've generally avoided
    sims whose title is an actual plane - suggests little variety. IL2 is
    an exception because of the universally great reviews.

    Thanks again.

    James Calivar wrote:
    > <TheHamsterKing@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >

    > > I'm a relative newbie to flight sims, but I'm looking to both
    expand
    > > and diversify my collection (I currently own Freespace 2, MSFS
    2004,
    > > Independence War 2 and IL2-Sturmovik Gold).
    > >
    > > Can anyone recommend a few more "must-haves"? I'm looking to add
    > > another 4 or 5. My only suggestion is that any suggestions try to
    cover
    > > as many sub-genres are possible. For example, I don't really need 5
    WW2
    > > sims - unless, of course, some are really special. I also already
    have
    > > space-sims covered, but could use a modern air combat sim.
    > >
    > > Also I ask that only sims since 2000 be considered - For me, I've
    found
    > > that really old graphics are only tolerable when it comes to
    nostalgia.

    > > Finally, cost and computer specs are not an issue.
    > >

    > > I appreciate any suggestions.
    > >

    > Are you collecting these titles to just have them sitting on a shelf?
    Or
    > are you going to actually play them? Not trying to sound like and
    ass, but
    > if you're really "collencting," then I guess you'd want every title
    you can
    > get your hands on. On the other hand, if you're like me, you will
    end up
    > having about 25 sims, only 2 of which you play with any regularity.
    > (Personally, I play il2-FB/AEP/PF, and Falcon 4.0 almost
    exclusivley).

    > James
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    <TheHamsterKing@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >

    > I'm a relative newbie to flight sims, but I'm looking to both expand
    > and diversify my collection (I currently own Freespace 2, MSFS 2004,
    > Independence War 2 and IL2-Sturmovik Gold).
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a few more "must-haves"? <snip>

    Are you mainly looking for Flight Sims?

    Here's a few sims that you might enjoy:

    Enemy Engaged Commach vs Hokum (Helocopter sim)
    Janes USAF
    Falcon 4.0 with Superpack
    Pacific Fighter (you can install this to same dir as IL2)
    Lock on Modern Air Combat

PC gaming Sims Games Video Games