54mbs connection on a 300mbs network

gity69

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hi all, recently i upgraded my router to a wireless g. All the network cards in my network can support this but yet still when i look at individual connection properties they all say connected at 54mbps what can i do to fix this or is it fixable?

Solution
That's odd you should be able to get way better speeds than just 54Mbps. Enter the router config and go to the wireless setup page. Check the settings there, you should have the max Tx Rate set to 300Mbps and the Mode should be Mixed. Actually you can also try setting the Mode to N (only) if possible to see if it gets better.
Have a look at those settings and see how it goes. Otherwise you may need o check the settings of your adapter.
Have you checked the speed on any other devices connected to the router?

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
^Thats true! Wireless G can get speeds up to 54Mbps. Wireless N is 300+Mbps. If you still have a chence to return it for an N router I would do it! Most wireless adapters on laptops, phones, tablets etc are wireless N compatible. Also besides the extra speed you will also get alot better range than before!

gity69

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
That's odd you should be able to get way better speeds than just 54Mbps. Enter the router config and go to the wireless setup page. Check the settings there, you should have the max Tx Rate set to 300Mbps and the Mode should be Mixed. Actually you can also try setting the Mode to N (only) if possible to see if it gets better.
Have a look at those settings and see how it goes. Otherwise you may need o check the settings of your adapter.
Have you checked the speed on any other devices connected to the router?

Solution
If it actually says 54m then that is a G standard but there are many N ranges that are not a lot faster.

The normal default for a lot of routers running N is narrow channels, .8ms guard intervals, and mimo disabled. This means that you will run N but the maximum is still about 65m.

All your equipment must support the other options to get the higher numbers.

Using wide band and short guard intervals will take you to 150m but this requires you have 2 clear frequency bands available.

To get 300m you must have mimo capability. This requires a special antenna configuration that many USB dongles do not have.

Some routers if they detect a G device will force everyone to run G. This can be a device that does not even have authority to use your network. You need to force the router to not support G to avoid this.

gity69

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
thanks the router settings were wrong its fixed :D. while i'm at it i cant seem to get the repeater working right should i be able to access it individually or would it just show up as the host network? it doesnt seem to give us any better range