Radeon 9550 with LOMAC.. workable?

Last response: in Video Games
March 16, 2005 7:17:09 PM

I'm using a GF2MX (from 2000) on an amd barton@1833mhz, 768MB. Mainboard
is a Soltek NF2. Many have told me the vc's holding the processor back.
At present, LOMAC just manages to work at 800x600, with everything set to
the lowest possible values. I've played a couple of the tutorials, and
they work, for the most part with a bit of stuttering now and then.

I'm not looking to max out all settings, just bringing them up to
middle-of-the-road levels so that this thing looks a bit better than it is
now .Would a radeon 9550 help or am I going to be out $100 (Canadian)?

Also, if any of you run linux as well, would the radeon give any problems
on the nf2 mainboard with the 2.4 series kernel? I'd opted for the nvidia
gf2mx in 2000 because of their driver support for linux. Now I find Ati's
also on the bandwagon.

Thanks,

-joseph
March 17, 2005 2:40:39 AM

Just my opinion but the 9550 is considered a low end card. Faster than what
you have mind you but for $100 you can do better. Consider an off-brand ATi
9600 as a minimum. Or even an Nvidia 6600 card (I think).

In the U.S. a 9550 should not be but around $50 (U.S.). A 9600 for close to
$100.

"joseph philip" <joseph@nntp.will.suffice> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.03.16.21.17.06.263557@nntp.will.suffice...
> I'm using a GF2MX (from 2000) on an amd barton@1833mhz, 768MB. Mainboard
> is a Soltek NF2. Many have told me the vc's holding the processor back.
> At present, LOMAC just manages to work at 800x600, with everything set to
> the lowest possible values. I've played a couple of the tutorials, and
> they work, for the most part with a bit of stuttering now and then.
>
> I'm not looking to max out all settings, just bringing them up to
> middle-of-the-road levels so that this thing looks a bit better than it is
> now .Would a radeon 9550 help or am I going to be out $100 (Canadian)?
>
> Also, if any of you run linux as well, would the radeon give any problems
> on the nf2 mainboard with the 2.4 series kernel? I'd opted for the nvidia
> gf2mx in 2000 because of their driver support for linux. Now I find Ati's
> also on the bandwagon.
>
> Thanks,
>

> -joseph

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 2:40:40 AM

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:40:39 +0000, Gonzo wrote:

> Just my opinion but the 9550 is considered a low end card. Faster than what
> you have mind you but for $100 you can do better. Consider an off-brand ATi
> 9600 as a minimum. Or even an Nvidia 6600 card (I think).
>
> In the U.S. a 9550 should not be but around $50 (U.S.). A 9600 for close to
> $100.
>
> "joseph philip" <joseph@nntp.will.suffice> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.03.16.21.17.06.263557@nntp.will.suffice...
>> I'm using a GF2MX (from 2000) on an amd barton@1833mhz, 768MB. Mainboard
>> is a Soltek NF2. Many have told me the vc's holding the processor back.
>> At present, LOMAC just manages to work at 800x600, with everything set to
>> the lowest possible values. I've played a couple of the tutorials, and
>> they work, for the most part with a bit of stuttering now and then.
>>
>> I'm not looking to max out all settings, just bringing them up to
>> middle-of-the-road levels so that this thing looks a bit better than it is
>> now .Would a radeon 9550 help or am I going to be out $100 (Canadian)?
>>
>> Also, if any of you run linux as well, would the radeon give any problems
>> on the nf2 mainboard with the 2.4 series kernel? I'd opted for the nvidia
>> gf2mx in 2000 because of their driver support for linux. Now I find Ati's
>> also on the bandwagon.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> -joseph

I found this at a local store:
SAPPHIRE AGP RADEON 9600PRO AD 256M BOX - $159.00 + Tax
Which comes to about $200 CAD.
Radeon 9550 is listed at about $80 CAD or thereabouts which comes to after
tax, about $90.
The tax does pile up here.

I'm wondering what I'd loose or gain in the $110 CAD final price
difference. Ofcourse, a 6800's in the 480-600 range, which is more than my
entire computer costs!!
Related resources
March 17, 2005 4:53:12 AM

"joseph philip" <joseph@nntp.will.suffice> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.03.17.01.19.59.389355@nntp.will.suffice...
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:40:39 +0000, Gonzo wrote:
>
>> Just my opinion but the 9550 is considered a low end card. Faster than
>> what
>> you have mind you but for $100 you can do better. Consider an off-brand
>> ATi
>> 9600 as a minimum. Or even an Nvidia 6600 card (I think).
>>
>> In the U.S. a 9550 should not be but around $50 (U.S.). A 9600 for close
>> $100.
>>
>> "joseph philip" <joseph@nntp.will.suffice> wrote in message
>> news:p an.2005.03.16.21.17.06.263557@nntp.will.suffice...
>>> I'm using a GF2MX (from 2000) on an amd barton@1833mhz, 768MB. Mainboard
>>> is a Soltek NF2. Many have told me the vc's holding the processor back.
>>> At present, LOMAC just manages to work at 800x600, with everything set
>>> the lowest possible values. I've played a couple of the tutorials, and
>>> they work, for the most part with a bit of stuttering now and then.
>>>
>>> I'm not looking to max out all settings, just bringing them up to
>>> middle-of-the-road levels so that this thing looks a bit better than it
>>> is
>>> now .Would a radeon 9550 help or am I going to be out $100 (Canadian)?
>>>
>>> Also, if any of you run linux as well, would the radeon give any
>>> problems
>>> on the nf2 mainboard with the 2.4 series kernel? I'd opted for the
>>> nvidia
>>> gf2mx in 2000 because of their driver support for linux. Now I find
>>> Ati's
>>> also on the bandwagon.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> -joseph
>>>

> I found this at a local store:
> SAPPHIRE AGP RADEON 9600PRO AD 256M BOX - $159.00 + Tax
> Which comes to about $200 CAD.
> Radeon 9550 is listed at about $80 CAD or thereabouts which comes to after
> tax, about $90.
> The tax does pile up here.
>
> I'm wondering what I'd loose or gain in the $110 CAD final price
> difference. Ofcourse, a 6800's in the 480-600 range, which is more than my
> entire computer costs!!

Well if your on a budget then your on a budget. Ive been there myself.
Best thing to do is buy the fastest card you can afford with your budgeted
cash.
Good luck.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 4:53:13 AM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:53:12 +0000, Gonzo wrote:

> "joseph philip" <joseph@nntp.will.suffice> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.03.17.01.19.59.389355@nntp.will.suffice...
>> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:40:39 +0000, Gonzo wrote:
>>
>>> Just my opinion but the 9550 is considered a low end card. Faster
>>> than what
>>> you have mind you but for $100 you can do better. Consider an
>>> off-brand ATi
>>> 9600 as a minimum. Or even an Nvidia 6600 card (I think).
>>>
>>> In the U.S. a 9550 should not be but around $50 (U.S.). A 9600 for
>>> close to
>>> $100.
>>>
>>> "joseph philip" <joseph@nntp.will.suffice> wrote in message
>>> news:p an.2005.03.16.21.17.06.263557@nntp.will.suffice...

>> I found this at a local store:
>> SAPPHIRE AGP RADEON 9600PRO AD 256M BOX - $159.00 + Tax Which comes to
>> about $200 CAD.
>> Radeon 9550 is listed at about $80 CAD or thereabouts which comes to
>> after tax, about $90.
>> The tax does pile up here.
>>
>> I'm wondering what I'd loose or gain in the $110 CAD final price
>> difference. Ofcourse, a 6800's in the 480-600 range, which is more than
>> my entire computer costs!!
>
> Well if your on a budget then your on a budget. Ive been there myself.
> Best thing to do is buy the fastest card you can afford with your
> budgeted cash.
> Good luck.

Budget: Yes. I'm a student now, so have to keep the big bills for the
books.
Thanks

-joseph
!