Is there a key in Falcon 4.0 to toggle hat-switch view mod..

Here's the thing: in Falcon 4.0, if I swing my virtual view left or right
using the hat switch on my stick in HUD view (view 2), after I release the
hat switch my view remains where it was, and I have to force it back to
center manually, again using the hat switch. It's a wasted effort for me,
because I typically only care to look out the cockpit askance for a second
or two at a time, not longer. (I want to make sure that I keep my eyes
forward so I don't hit that ground object 30 miles away...) Usually when
lining up on a runway when on base leg, or when trying to acquire a bogie
that's just flown past me.

In IL2 there is a key setting that allows a toggle between looking around
and having the view stay there, and looking around and having the view
return to front and center once the hat switch is released. (I think it's
F9 by default.)

Is there a similar function within Falcon 4.0?

TIA

James

jp

"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Here's the thing: in Falcon 4.0, if I swing my virtual view left or right
> using the hat switch on my stick in HUD view (view 2), after I release the
> hat switch my view remains where it was, and I have to force it back to
> center manually, again using the hat switch. It's a wasted effort for me,
> because I typically only care to look out the cockpit askance for a second
> or two at a time, not longer. (I want to make sure that I keep my eyes
> forward so I don't hit that ground object 30 miles away...) Usually when
> lining up on a runway when on base leg, or when trying to acquire a bogie
> that's just flown past me.
>
> In IL2 there is a key setting that allows a toggle between looking around
> and having the view stay there, and looking around and having the view
> return to front and center once the hat switch is released. (I think it's
> F9 by default.)
>
> Is there a similar function within Falcon 4.0?
>
> TIA
>
> James

Not that I know of, but what I've always done is to program a button for
the 2d cockpit view too (2 key). Just hit that button, and you're looking
out front again.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:46:15 -0600, "JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>> Here's the thing: in Falcon 4.0, if I swing my virtual view left or right
>> using the hat switch on my stick in HUD view (view 2), after I release the
>> hat switch my view remains where it was, and I have to force it back to
>> center manually, again using the hat switch. It's a wasted effort for me,
>> because I typically only care to look out the cockpit askance for a second
>> or two at a time, not longer. (I want to make sure that I keep my eyes
>> forward so I don't hit that ground object 30 miles away...) Usually when
>> lining up on a runway when on base leg, or when trying to acquire a bogie
>> that's just flown past me.
>>
>> In IL2 there is a key setting that allows a toggle between looking around
>> and having the view stay there, and looking around and having the view
>> return to front and center once the hat switch is released. (I think it's
>> F9 by default.)
>>
>> Is there a similar function within Falcon 4.0?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> James
>

> Not that I know of, but what I've always done is to program a button for
>the 2d cockpit view too (2 key). Just hit that button, and you're looking
>out front again.

My solution also. it seems to work well.

Villain
Villain

Paranoia is just another word for longevity.

> > Not that I know of, but what I've always done is to program a
button for
> >the 2d cockpit view too (2 key). Just hit that button, and you're
looking
> >out front again.
> >

> My solution also. it seems to work well.
>
> Villain
> Villain
>
> Paranoia is just another word for longevity.

Yo guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but having a button for the 2 key is
cool,
but if your already in 2 view, it will not put you back at the front
view, unless you go OUT of the 2 view. Even thou you have panned a 2
view all the way right, you are still in 2 view, so a 2 view keystroke
will not put you back at the front.
What WOULD work, is to program a button to a multi keystroke. For
instance, assign keystrokes 3and2 to your #3button on your stick. Your
one button press will result in 3key, then 2key being pressed,
imitating a front snap-view.

Yep, no snap-views in F4. That would be cool......
E-Man

In article <1111085880.070837.100210@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
<ef29@drexel.edu> wrote:
> if your already in 2 view, it will not put you back at the front view,
> unless you go OUT of the 2 view.

That's right. When pressing key for a view, it would be nice if the
default of that view was switched to. Thus a "2" in 2-d cockpit-view
would reset to looking forward. Same for the the virtual cockpit.

What do you think, should the views remember pans? Say i hop onto
virtual cockpit, pan about, jump to some other view and then back to
virtual cockpit again, should i be the default direction (forward), or
the way i panned to earlier?

With the suggested change above, this remembering would make sense, and
i for one would find it very useful indeed. To get to a default
direction for a view, i'd double-punch the key, first to hop to the
remembered direction, then second time to reset.

By the way, don't you agree it would be nice if the 3d cockpit
extended as far back as the 2d cockpit does?

> E-Man

..mace --- ++1§ jf

In article <1111098929.014084.178760@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<ef29@drexel.edu> wrote:
>Markku Ojala wrote:
>> In article <1111085880.070837.100210@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
>> <ef29@drexel.edu> wrote:
>> What do you think, should the views remember pans?
> [could get confusing] for situational awareness, you usually won't
> want to come back to the same view, and the enemy is usually in a
> different location by then anyway.

Well, depends on the situation, personal preference and whatnot.
There'd be a variable of course :)

>> By the way, don't you agree it would be nice if the 3d cockpit
>> extended as far back as the 2d cockpit does?
> Oh yea!

Btw. in the default BMS2 2d cockpit if you're already looking all the way
to the back, say over your left shoulder, and then press press left once
more, your virtual pilot will swing around to look around his/her right
shoulder. That is mighty handy, but unfortunately not implemented in the
cockpit i'm using, by Panther. There are some other things i'd love to
"nag" about this cockpit, but refrain from doing so. I'm using it
anyhow, you know.

> But hey, I'm sure we will eventually get alot more 'stuff' in future
> patches.

We all wish. That bickering about the nicked code from BMS to CobraOne
(or how was it), and how Atari the intellectual property <phtui!> owner
seems to be reacting and all that is depressing though. We'll see
what'll happen.

> I don't know if you ever flew PAW, but you could record the mission,
> then edit it to suite your views

Never did. Sounds like a useful feature if one wishes to make movies
or whatever, but that's not what i'm interested in personally. There's
just the right kind of drama in trying to move the mud under the very
stressful conditions of the battlefield, and that's how i like my
flightsims. If i want all that heavy-metal pumped, guns-blazing action
to save democracy from the hoardes of 3v1(, st00p1d terrorists (with
WMD perhaps), with demons and naked lassies in the credits-screens and
impressive editing and even some scene-poetry thrown in for a measure,
i'll play other games instead. Like Nethack. :) Never seen a movie
edited from video-captures from games (there's a term for those, but
it's evading me) that i found tasteful or in any way good. There'll be
one one day i'm sure. Got favourites?

> E-Man

..mace --- +1 ,