Sign in with
Your question

Network Sharing - 2 routers one modem

Last response: in Networking
November 15, 2012 11:57:20 PM

i've done some googling and i couldn't find anything comprehensive so here's my situation:

i'm living in a basement apartment and my landlord is willing to share her internet. the way it is set up right now she is running 2 SSIDs off her router upstairs, one for each of us. There are a few problems with this setup:

1. i do a lot of internet gaming and i want a wired connection
2. network discovery on my SSID is disabled, so i can't use my wireless printer, or share files with my girlfriends computer
3. we are on the edge of the network, so the connection cuts out sometimes

Me and my landlord are trying to figure something out, and i only have a basic understanding of networking. I was thinking about running a switch right after the modem and setting up my own wireless router like below, but i have read there might be problems with conflicting IP addresses.

Modem ---> Switch ---> Landlord's Router
---> My router

So basically i want a wired connection for my xbox and i would like to have control over my own settings so that i can port forward etc. So if somebody could recommend a setup that would fit my situation and maximize my connection speed that would be great. we have no issue running a wire downstairs through the floor.

Thanks
Mark
November 16, 2012 1:10:10 AM

Normally you can only attach one router to a modem, but you can daisy-chain two routers.
m
l
November 16, 2012 1:34:44 AM

yes, this idea came to mind too, but is daisy chaining my router going to create any conflicts in terms of privacy between me and my landlord or slow my connection since the data has to pass through two routers before it gets to the modem?
m
l
Related resources
November 16, 2012 4:45:36 AM

It will slow it down but I suspect it will be undetectable. Privacy is about the same as it is now, mostly there is no access because of dual nat. The key problem comes when there is a need to do port mapping or upnp, you now have 2 routers to deal with. If you run the router as AP then both network are combined which is simpler but less secure if you want to keep the networks separate.

I suspect you have no other option. Few ISP will allow 2 routers behind the modem and those that do will want to charge your more money since you have a second IP address.
m
l
November 16, 2012 12:06:52 PM

Mark, all you need is a wired connection from her router to your apartment. Then connect that into your router and setup your own wireless connection with your own SSID. You will basically have your own network and she can't see your computers and you can't see hers. If you can get an internet connection when you plug your laptop/Xbox into the line coming from her apartment then your router should be able to use that connection without any special configurations. Your ISP won't know you are doing this as your routers IP will be the one from the landlady's router and all your equipment will get IP's from your router (assuming they are auto assigned by DHCP). I have done this with no issues before.

Speed should still be good but will be affected by any activity on her side but unless she downloads or streams a lot you should be ok.
m
l
November 16, 2012 5:05:08 PM

Quote:
The key problem comes when there is a need to do port mapping or upnp, you now have 2 routers to deal with. If you run the router as AP then both network are combined which is simpler but less secure if you want to keep the networks separate.

What do you mean by setting it up as AP? Is that some other sort of configuration that i should consider?

And chances are i will need to use port forwarding or upnp. Can i port forward through a chained configuration, or will i need to do port forwarding on both routers?

Really helpful answers so far guys thanks!
m
l
November 16, 2012 8:32:51 PM

Yup you must port forward on both routers...what a pain.

Some routers have a option to make them into a AP. Even ones that do not have the feature you can accomplish something similar by hooking to the LAN port rather than the WAN port and disable DHCP. Running as a AP puts you on the same lan network as you landlord, not sure if that is a issue for you or not.
m
l
November 16, 2012 10:46:51 PM

running on the same network as my landlord will likely be an issue. i guess i'll just have to port forward both routers.

Is there anything different about port forwarding through 2 routers though?
say if i want to open ports 88 and 80, do i just open those 2 ports on both routers?
m
l
November 17, 2012 10:10:10 AM

You just forward the first router to your second router and then on the second router forward it to the end machine
m
l
!