Wired connection for LAN and wireless for 3G internet connection

superfly611

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I have a computer that has both a wired and wireless connection. I would like to keep the wired connection just for my LAN and keep it from accessing the Internet. I then would like to use my wireless connection to connect to my Verizon mifi 2200 to access the net. I'm sure there's something like this on the forum but I don't know exactly what this would be. Any help would be very much appreciated.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Yes both will work. The reason 2 nic cause a issue for most people is that you get 2 default routes. By removing the gateway on your lan the computer send everything except the one network used by the lan to the wireless. To confirm it is correct you can issue the ROUTE PRINT command.

superfly611

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I have a little rusty On how to do some of this networking. Could someone give me a little help on how to do the default gateway from the wired LAN configuration? Do you go to your network configuration- properties- Internet protocol version 4 tcp/ip- then the properties of that? if so it is set up right now to obtain everything automatically. Do you go to alternate configuration and set everything up there? What do you set the DNS And gateway to?
Also John-b691 Do you mean the bios when you first start your computer?

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

You are correct you set it up in the tcpip settings. What exactly you put in there depends what you are asking. In this thread the question was related to running 2 nic cards at the same time. In that case you want to leave the gateway blank. Windows is pretty stupid it gets very confused if you put a gateway on multiple nic cards. I would also leave the DNS blank since it should use the DNS from the other nic card. Would be nice if windows could use different DNS based on interface but it does not have that feature

superfly611

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
so to have the wired nic use just my internal LAN and not go out to my comcast internet and the wireless card use the verizon hotspot which gateway would i leave blank? the wired internal lan or the one i want to go out to the internet.

i dont want both cards to be able to access the internet just the wireless hotspot.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
You want to leave the gateway blank on lan.

The gateway causes a default route to be inserted. This is the path it takes to get to everything outside your network...like the internet. So you put in on the interface that has access to the internet.

superfly611

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
ok i entered a static ip and the subnet ok my internal lan and left the gateway blank. i also left the dns to obtain automatically. i didnt have any connection that way.
so now what john?
do i have to go in my router settings and exclude that address from accessing the internet if theres an option. (netgear wndr3700)
my ip range or setting are gateway 192.168.1.1 then i have an ip statically set on the download machine within my router ip range.