T-Mobile T722i and Auto Update

Last response: in Brands
Share
December 2, 2004 12:01:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I just got a new Motorola T722i (T-Mobile in New York City).

The phone doesn't have an option to AutoUpdate the date and time
from the network.

Does anybody know if this phone should be able to do that? I don't
see the option anywhere. It lets me change the date and time (separately)
but not AutoUpdate.

My wife's Nokia 3595 does have this feature.

Could it be that I have old firmware on the phone?
My Flex version is GS5TMBO1T722NA1C9, the S/W version is
T720PM_G_05.40.45R and the DSP S/W version is 00003920.
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 1:00:14 AM

"JAG" <jeffg@programmer.net> wrote in message
>I just got a new Motorola T722i (T-Mobile in New York City).
>
> The phone doesn't have an option to AutoUpdate the date and time
> from the network.
>
> Does anybody know if this phone should be able to do that? I don't
> see the option anywhere. It lets me change the date and time (separately)
> but not AutoUpdate.
>
> My wife's Nokia 3595 does have this feature.
>
> Could it be that I have old firmware on the phone?
> My Flex version is GS5TMBO1T722NA1C9, the S/W version is
> T720PM_G_05.40.45R and the DSP S/W version is 00003920.

Good question JAG, here's my experience on trying to answer the same
question 2 years ago.
My Moto V60G never had a time and/or date auto-update setting, nor an auto
time-zone setting, nor an auto-switching of freq band when travelling
abroad. However, a buddy who had a V60 (CDMA phone) on verizon had auto
time-zone update, auto time and date update. when i called t-mo's technical
guys, they claimed t-mo didn't have these auto-update capabilities on its
network. since this was my first cell phone ever, and being a newbie, i
agreed with whatever they shoved down my throat.

now, JAG pops up 2+ years down the road and asks the same question. looking
at my SE T300, i have auto time-zone and auto-date featues, not auto-time,
so its my handset which is feature-limited. I had a look at my uncle's moto
T722 on VZW, and he does have the autoupdate options for time, date,
timezone. i dunno if it's a T722 or T722i.

so, looks like t-mo have crippled ur GSM T722i, or maybe it doesn't have the
feature. i dunno if a firmware/software flash would work, not an expert on
it, and have never had that done to any of my 3 phones before.

ANd yes, nokia's have had these features for a while. i was given an old
voicestream-branded nokia 3390? brick and it set the time/date from the
network each instance u powered it on. what a relief. shame that i gave it
away.
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 2:38:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

That is an older model phone.
The company stores stopped selling them many months ago.
Are you sure it is actually a new phone and not used or refurbished?
Did you purchase it from a company store or an private business that just
sells T-Mobile products?
I would be very suspicious.

Storm

"JAG" <jeffg@programmer.net> wrote in message
>I just got a new Motorola T722i (T-Mobile in New York City).
>
> The phone doesn't have an option to AutoUpdate the date and time
> from the network.
>
> Does anybody know if this phone should be able to do that? I don't
> see the option anywhere. It lets me change the date and time (separately)
> but not AutoUpdate.
>
> My wife's Nokia 3595 does have this feature.
>
> Could it be that I have old firmware on the phone?
> My Flex version is GS5TMBO1T722NA1C9, the S/W version is
> T720PM_G_05.40.45R and the DSP S/W version is 00003920.
Related resources
December 3, 2004 2:38:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I bought it at a private cell phone store that sells T-Mobile plans.
The phone does look new. It's not scatched, it came with the plastic
sheets on the screens and had 0 minutes on the life timer. And it
came in what looks like an original box. The manual hadn't been
opened yet and all the accessories were sealed.

I guess he could have taken an old phone, flashed it to wipe out the
life timer (if this is even possible - I don't know that it is) and
switched the front and back plates. But I don't see any evidence that
he did.

But what I do know is that he gave me an unlocked phone that doesn't
have any carrier's label on it. He may have given me a grey market
phone or a generic 722i and maybe that's why the feature isn't on
there.

But then again, the Flex version looks like one from T-Mobile.

Or it may just be an older phone that's been sitting around for a
while. But I don't care because I love the phone. I specifically
asked for a T722i when he didn't first offer me anything else as good.

I guess I'll call T-Mo customer service and ask them if the phone is
supposed to have the feature.

"F. W. STORM" <storm51@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<SHNrd.1534$Xd.403@trndny02>...
> That is an older model phone.
> The company stores stopped selling them many months ago.
> Are you sure it is actually a new phone and not used or refurbished?
> Did you purchase it from a company store or an private business that just
> sells T-Mobile products?
> I would be very suspicious.
>
> Storm
>
> "JAG" <jeffg@programmer.net> wrote in message
> >I just got a new Motorola T722i (T-Mobile in New York City).
> >
> > The phone doesn't have an option to AutoUpdate the date and time
> > from the network.
> >
> > Does anybody know if this phone should be able to do that? I don't
> > see the option anywhere. It lets me change the date and time (separately)
> > but not AutoUpdate.
> >
> > My wife's Nokia 3595 does have this feature.
> >
> > Could it be that I have old firmware on the phone?
> > My Flex version is GS5TMBO1T722NA1C9, the S/W version is
> > T720PM_G_05.40.45R and the DSP S/W version is 00003920.
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 8:16:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"JAG" <jeffg@programmer.net> wrote in message news:6b40b6b9.0412020901.5d59a236@posting.google.com...
>I just got a new Motorola T722i (T-Mobile in New York City).
>
> The phone doesn't have an option to AutoUpdate the date and time
> from the network.
>
> Does anybody know if this phone should be able to do that? I don't
> see the option anywhere. It lets me change the date and time (separately)
> but not AutoUpdate.

Unless something has changed recently, I was told that GSM networks
don't do AutoUpdate of time. CDMA networks (Verizon, Sprint) do.

--
John Richards
December 3, 2004 8:16:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I have the V400 on Cingular as I drove across the US the time Changed
everytime I used it in the new time zone
My T720 dosent auto up-date I wish it did
"John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote in message
> "JAG" <jeffg@programmer.net> wrote in message
> >I just got a new Motorola T722i (T-Mobile in New York City).
> >
> > The phone doesn't have an option to AutoUpdate the date and time
> > from the network.
> >
> > Does anybody know if this phone should be able to do that? I don't
> > see the option anywhere. It lets me change the date and time
(separately)
> > but not AutoUpdate.
>
> Unless something has changed recently, I was told that GSM networks
> don't do AutoUpdate of time. CDMA networks (Verizon, Sprint) do.
>
> --
> John Richards
December 3, 2004 8:30:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

That's no longer true because my wife's Nokia 3595 does auto update
of both the date and time. She's also on T-Mobile (GSM, New York
City).

I can call Customer Service and ask them to push a software update to
my phone that will add it but I just want to know whether or not the
phone should have it before I waste more time with it.

"John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote in messagenews:<YESrd.37810$Qv5.19444@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>...
> "JAG" <jeffg@programmer.net> wrote in message news:6b40b6b9.0412020901.5d59a236@posting.google.com...
> >I just got a new Motorola T722i (T-Mobile in New York City).
> >
> > The phone doesn't have an option to AutoUpdate the date and time
> > from the network.
> >
> > Does anybody know if this phone should be able to do that? I don't
> > see the option anywhere. It lets me change the date and time (separately)
> > but not AutoUpdate.
>
> Unless something has changed recently, I was told that GSM networks
> don't do AutoUpdate of time. CDMA networks (Verizon, Sprint) do.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 6:08:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Sounds like a relatively new feature if older T-Mobile phones don't
support it.

--
John Richards

"JAG" <jeffg@programmer.net> wrote in message news:6b40b6b9.0412030530.1d64eb0d@posting.google.com...
> That's no longer true because my wife's Nokia 3595 does auto update
> of both the date and time. She's also on T-Mobile (GSM, New York
> City).
>
> I can call Customer Service and ask them to push a software update to
> my phone that will add it but I just want to know whether or not the
> phone should have it before I waste more time with it.
>
> "John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote in messagenews:<YESrd.37810$Qv5.19444@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>...
>> "JAG" <jeffg@programmer.net> wrote in message news:6b40b6b9.0412020901.5d59a236@posting.google.com...
>> >I just got a new Motorola T722i (T-Mobile in New York City).
>> >
>> > The phone doesn't have an option to AutoUpdate the date and time
>> > from the network.
>> >
>> > Does anybody know if this phone should be able to do that? I don't
>> > see the option anywhere. It lets me change the date and time (separately)
>> > but not AutoUpdate.
>>
>> Unless something has changed recently, I was told that GSM networks
>> don't do AutoUpdate of time. CDMA networks (Verizon, Sprint) do.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 3:08:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Yes, That is a new feature that was not supported ( that model is 2 years
old ) when the 722i was created on T-Mobile. You will notice that the moto
V300 as well as the v600 have that feature on those newer phones.

D J ZERA
"JAG" <jeffg@programmer.net> wrote in message
> That's no longer true because my wife's Nokia 3595 does auto update
> of both the date and time. She's also on T-Mobile (GSM, New York
> City).
>
> I can call Customer Service and ask them to push a software update to
> my phone that will add it but I just want to know whether or not the
> phone should have it before I waste more time with it.
>
> "John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote in
> messagenews:<YESrd.37810$Qv5.19444@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>...
>> "JAG" <jeffg@programmer.net> wrote in message
>> >I just got a new Motorola T722i (T-Mobile in New York City).
>> >
>> > The phone doesn't have an option to AutoUpdate the date and time
>> > from the network.
>> >
>> > Does anybody know if this phone should be able to do that? I don't
>> > see the option anywhere. It lets me change the date and time
>> > (separately)
>> > but not AutoUpdate.
>>
>> Unless something has changed recently, I was told that GSM networks
>> don't do AutoUpdate of time. CDMA networks (Verizon, Sprint) do.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 3:41:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 03:08:59 GMT, "John Richards"
<jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote:

>Sounds like a relatively new feature if older T-Mobile phones don't
>support it.
>
>--
>John Richards

My old 3390 will update. My newer Samsung D415 will not. Go figure.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 8:17:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Sorry,

You will need a new phone...

D J ZERA

> So does all this mean I can't have auto update?
>
> Or might T-Mobile have an update they can push down to my phone that
> will add the feature?
>

> ^'^BatAttaK^'^ wrote:
>> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 03:08:59 GMT, "John Richards"
>> <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> >Sounds like a relatively new feature if older T-Mobile phones don't
>> >support it.
>> >
>> >--
>> >John Richards
>>
>> My old 3390 will update. My newer Samsung D415 will not. Go figure.

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 6:08:59 AM

On 7 Dec 2004 06:45:12 -0800, jeffg@programmer.net wrote:

>So does all this mean I can't have auto update?
>
>Or might T-Mobile have an update they can push down to my phone that
>will add the feature?

No...it means that depending on the phone you have you may or may not
be able to auto-update the time. Some support it and others do not.
AFAIK, there is not an OTA to enable this on a phone that does not
natively support it.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 10:15:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On 7 Dec 2004 06:45:12 -0800, jeffg@programmer.net wrote:

>So does all this mean I can't have auto update?
>
>Or might T-Mobile have an update they can push down to my phone that
>will add the feature?

As Joseph or some other frequent poster has said several times here,
that feature was added in markets where Cingular and TM shared
infrastructure. In NYC, Cingular piggybacked off TM and it required
the auto update as part of that deal since it offers it across its
system -- by that I mean its own network, not the legacy AT&T Wireless
network.

!