What's your main studio recorder?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
October 19, 2004 12:02:09 PM

Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?

Mine is is mac/motu/tascam daw. But have HD24 as well for live.

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

More about : main studio recorder

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 1:23:00 PM

In article <934b3e2c.0410190702.46fc1ea1@posting.google.com>,
mmeprod@mmeproductions.com (Mike) wrote:

> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?
>

> Mine is is mac/motu/tascam daw. But have HD24 as well for live.
>

> Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

We're still using DTRS machines (DA-78/38) but ProTools HD is moving up fast.
At home, it's DA-38 with Logic Express just getting started.

-Jay
October 19, 2004 3:20:17 PM

mmeprod@mmeproductions.com (Mike) wrote:

>Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
>is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?

Three Mackie HDR24/96's
Three Tascam DA38's

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/
October 19, 2004 5:51:40 PM

ADAT (3)
Audiodesk (MOTU 'ProTools' style) on a G4

Mike wrote:
> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?...
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 7:20:04 PM

"Mike" <mmeprod@mmeproductions.com> wrote in message news:934b3e2c.0410190702.46fc1ea1@posting.google.com...
> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?
>

> Mine is is mac/motu/tascam daw. But have HD24 as well for live.
>

> Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

Mitsubishi reel-to-reel digital.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

Mike wrote:
> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?
>

> Mine is is mac/motu/tascam daw. But have HD24 as well for live.
>

> Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

iz Radar24 60%

2" tape 40%

John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ

jn145_deletethisfirst_@verizon.net
http://www.retromedia.net
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 7:54:00 PM

Mike wrote:
> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?

Most of what I do is remote. Of the stuff done in studio, I'd say 90% is
done to analogue, and maybe 10% live to 2-track DAT.
--scott

October 19, 2004 7:54:01 PM

Mike wrote:
> > Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> > is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?

Magix Sequoia.... with backup to DAT, mostly do location work....

Rgds:
Eric

www.webermusic.com
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 7:57:59 PM

Mix platform is Paris DAW and second computer running Cubase SX with
timelines locked using ADAT sync so that both DAWs are running as one system
with the summing happening in the Paris DAW.
10% transferred from ADAT or analog, 30% transferred digitally from Pro
Tools or native DAWs like Cubase and 60% recorded direct to disk using Paris
DAW.

Doug Joyce
Animix Productions
Durango, CO

"Mike" <mmeprod@mmeproductions.com> wrote in message
> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?
>

> Mine is is mac/motu/tascam daw. But have HD24 as well for live.
>

> Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 8:05:19 PM

On 19 Oct 2004 08:02:09 -0700, Mike <mmeprod@mmeproductions.com> wrote:
> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?

PC-based DAW running Audacity, home built around an intel 465PERL Mobo.
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 8:44:46 PM

mac dual G5/ digi 002 rack / protools daw
-------
Jordan
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 8:58:48 PM

ProTools TDM HD...
I miss my Ampex MM1200...

--
Steven Sena
XS Sound Recording

"Mike" <mmeprod@mmeproductions.com> wrote in message
> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?
>

> Mine is is mac/motu/tascam daw. But have HD24 as well for live.
>

> Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
October 19, 2004 9:12:26 PM

Mike wrote:

> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?

I'm kind of a bottom feeder. Mostly I use my Fostex D-824. On the rare
occasion that I need more than 8 tracks, and also for editing, mixdown, &
CD burning, I have a home built DAW with an Athlon processor & RME Digi96/8
PST. Dual boot with Linux/Audacity/Ardour or Win95/Cakewalk/ProTools Free.
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 9:14:10 PM

>I miss my Ampex MM1200...

Had one for a year..not one client used it.
I use Samplitude for everything..tracking to CD burning.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 9:17:18 PM

DAW, with Windoze XP + Samplitude 7.2
I also have a Tascam DA-38 but it's mostly collecting dust these days.

Al

On 19 Oct 2004 08:02:09 -0700, mmeprod@mmeproductions.com (Mike)
wrote:

>Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
>is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?
>

>Mine is is mac/motu/tascam daw. But have HD24 as well for live.
>

>Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 10:37:13 PM

> Mike wrote:
> > Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> > is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?
>
> Most of what I do is remote. Of the stuff done in studio, I'd say 90% is
> done to analogue, and maybe 10% live to 2-track DAT.

Most of what I do is also remote, live to 2-track DAT. I also do a lot of
remastering and related stuff, and for that I work in the computer,
CardDeluxe i/o, CoolEdit/Audition, with a minor in DC-SIX and n-track
studio. When it's necessary to do remote multitrack I rent an ADAT XT-20 or
two. One of these days I'll spring for an Alesis hard-disk recorder, but I
gotta finish paying off the Gefells first.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 10:37:14 PM

>> Most of what I do is remote. Of the stuff done in studio, I'd say 90% is
>> done to analogue, and maybe 10% live to 2-track DAT.

I do mostly remote 2-track recordings as well, I use Alesis Masterlinks and
DAT's.
In the studio I use the Alesis 24-track thingy and the Digi-002 rack.
(ADAT's if I really have to...) I'm pretty much refusing doing any project
involving ADAT's anymore.
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 4:09:20 AM

wrote:

>Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
>is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?
>

>Mine is is mac/motu/tascam daw. But have HD24 as well for live.
>

>Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

Two Fostex D160 hard disc recorders in sync.
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 5:29:41 AM

"Mike" <mmeprod@mmeproductions.com> wrote in message
> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?

PC-based DAW, now that I had to sell my MTR90II.

Alesis XT20 for location recording.

Studer C37 (quarter-inch, two-track) for mental health.

Predrag
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 5:37:51 AM

>Mike wrote:
>> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
>> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?

Mac G4/Digi 001 via HD24 A/D's thru lightpipe. The Alesis A/D's seem to be
better than the Digi 001's.

HD24 or XT20 for remotes.

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 6:05:16 AM

My main recorder is an MCI JH110c 1" 8-trk, but sometimes I'll still use my
old Akai DR4's, particularly if the client doesn't have the money to pay for
tape.
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 8:31:50 AM

I use a PC (WinXP) with Cakewalk Sonar 3 primarily and a Roland VS-880EX
standalone unit and sync them together. I also use the Roland to take out
for remote recording or help someone out who's recording system is down.

Jim

"Mike" <mmeprod@mmeproductions.com> wrote in message
> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?
>

> Mine is is mac/motu/tascam daw. But have HD24 as well for live.
>

> Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 11:24:11 AM

In article <934b3e2c.0410190702.46fc1ea1@posting.google.com> mmeprod@mmeproductions.com writes:

> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is.

Define "main." It depends on what I'm doing at the time. Some of us
have more than a computer to record with.

October 20, 2004 11:58:10 AM

mmeprod@mmeproductions.com (Mike) wrote in message news:<934b3e2c.0410190702.46fc1ea1@posting.google.com>...
> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?

Mackie MDR24/96 + DAW running WinXP with Sony Vegas. I always mix in
Vegas, but I usually record through the MDR (sometimes on the PC). The
MDR is on my LAN, and I FTP tracks back-and-forth between it and PC as
a normal course.

I also have a blackface ADAT in my possession that I need to sell. It
gets used for the odd dump-my-tracks-to-HD project.

-dave
www.themoodrings.com
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 1:18:18 PM

I think I gave up, but remotes go to Tascam DA38s via Crest XR20, studio
goes to Samplitude Pro 24/96 on MOTU 2408 or to Samplitude 7.22 to RME
Hammerfall with Tango 24 converters via Soundtracs Solo console. Just sold
the 8 track RTR two weeks ago and I'm already starting to think about
getting a better quality replacement.

Then again, maybe I'll just really give up.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Mike" <mmeprod@mmeproductions.com> wrote in message
> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?
>

> Mine is is mac/motu/tascam daw. But have HD24 as well for live.
>

> Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 1:18:19 PM

Roger W. Norman wrote:

> Then again, maybe I'll just really give up.

Nah, giving up is not an option.
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 2:38:34 PM

<< mmeprod@mmeproductions.com (Mike) >>
<< Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?

Mine is is mac/motu/tascam daw. But have HD24 as well for live. >>

Mac/Metric Halo Mobile I/O/Nuendo. But have Mackie SDR24/96 as well.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News
October 20, 2004 4:27:25 PM

mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:<znr1098233923k@trad>...
> In article <934b3e2c.0410190702.46fc1ea1@posting.google.com> mmeprod@mmeproductions.com writes:
>
> > Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> > is.
>
> Define "main." It depends on what I'm doing at the time. Some of us
> have more than a computer to record with.

Well some studios have A and B rooms. I suppose what is in the A room
would be the main recorder. For me what I use primarily is Motu 2408
Going into Mac running Logic. But if I need more inputs than my
tascam DM24 gets thrown in the mix. I have an Alesis HD24 which at
this point is primarily for live recording.

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 5:01:19 PM

Got a nice Studer A820 2" 24 trk that I got from Electric Lady last year.

Recorded on lot's of formats... 4 trk. 244 Tascam Portastudio,
8 trk. M80 1/4 in. Fostex , 16 trk 1/2 in. Msr16 Tascam, 16 ADAT XT20 and
DAW and I'm really happy with the Studer and never really want to record on
anything else.

I still ocasionally record to PC through litepipe via Frontier Design's
Dakota card.
It's also what I use to tranfer from the Studer into Cubase SX2 to edit if
needed.

Danny Z
BlueTilt Studio

"Mike" <mmeprod@mmeproductions.com> wrote in message
> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?
>

> Mine is is mac/motu/tascam daw. But have HD24 as well for live.
>

> Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 5:19:52 PM

mmeprod@mmeproductions.com (Mike) wrote in message news:<934b3e2c.0410190702.46fc1ea1@posting.google.com>...
> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?
>

> Mine is is mac/motu/tascam daw. But have HD24 as well for live.
>

> Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

Genex GX9000 (all tracking is done on location). But the SV3800 is
still ready when called upon.

Steve

lex125@pacbell.net
www.lexington125.com
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 5:35:02 PM

WillStG wrote:

> Mac/Metric Halo Mobile I/O/Nuendo.

Will,

Could you please give a quick take on Nuendo vs. Digital Performer
and/or Logic? Does it yet offer 4-point editing?

--
ha
Anonymous

Tascam MS16, but tweaked quite a bit.

JP

"Mike" <mmeprod@mmeproductions.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?
>

> Mine is is mac/motu/tascam daw. But have HD24 as well for live.
>

> Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 6:50:39 PM

Mike wrote:

> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?
>
> Mine is is mac/motu/tascam daw. But have HD24 as well for live.
>
> Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

In the studio I use Adobe Audition on the computer hooked up to a couple
of 20 bit ADAT's for A/D/A conversion together with a Sonifex convertor
for more critical work. I also have a Fostex E8, an E16 and an Otari
MTR90 but they're mainly used for playing old tapes these days. I have a
project coming up in December where I'd like to record on the Otari
though.

Cheers.

James.
October 20, 2004 6:50:40 PM

> Mike wrote:
> >
> > Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> > is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?

We use a Mackie SDR-24 hard disk recorder to gather tracks without
#$@% Windows glitching (and also for live use), and a Win2K PC with
Sonar 4 for playing games with the tracks, once captured, and another
Win2K PC with Sound Forge rev something-or-other (I forget) for doing
2-track mixdown and "home" mastering. Yeah, we're bottom feeders,
but we come out with some nice sounding stuff.
Our studio is primarily used by us for songwriting and experiments.
We sporadically do work for someone else when the fancy takes us.
---Michael (of APP)...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/austinpowerplantmusic...
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 1:37:15 AM

Radar II 95% of the time. Great fun to use.
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 1:49:33 AM

In article <934b3e2c.0410201127.531158cb@posting.google.com> mmeprod@mmeproductions.com writes:

> Well some studios have A and B rooms.

Well, today most studios are bedrooms. <g>

I have a Mackie HDR24/96 and an MDR24/96 though I don't use them for
24 tracks (I'm really only wired for 16 but can cobble up 24 if I need
to. The MDR has been on the bench with the case open for the last
several months while I was working on my book (Oh, did I forget to
mention my book, The Last Mackie Hard Disk Recorder Manual from Cafe
Press? http://www.cafepress.com/mikerivers) but that's the one that's
not racked so it's easier to carry out in the field.

There's also a Sony PCM2300 DAT, an Otari MX-55 1/4", a TASCAM
CDRW-5000 CD recorder, a Pentium II with a Lynx L22 card, and a Nomad
Jukebox 3. All have been the "main" recorder at some time or other.

October 21, 2004 1:50:19 AM

Mike wrote:

> I have an Alesis HD24 which at
> this point is primarily for live recording.

Has it been realiable for you? Any failures? Lost any tracks?

--
ha
Anonymous

Magix Sequoia here- 2 machines. One with a Lynx2C/AES L-stream card and the
other with an RME Digiface card. DA-78HR as backup and Panasonic 3800 as
backup.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 5:33:13 AM

<< : walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich) >>
<< Will,

Could you please give a quick take on Nuendo vs. Digital Performer
and/or Logic? Does it yet offer 4-point editing? >>

I haven't used DP or Logic, besides Nuendo just Pro Tools (still have my
retired Nubus system ) , the defunct Studio Vision, Cubase and (Atari)
Mastertracks Pro.

And I haven't been running Nuendo 2.1 yet either, as I have been
resisting the OSX upgrade. As I have just bumped up my G4 to a Dual 1.2 I
think I will be taking the plunge though, and do a syslink between my laptop at
OS9 and Nuendo 2/OSX on the G4 tower.

(Ummm - what's "4 point editing"? Sounds like something I should know
about... )

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News
October 21, 2004 6:35:26 AM

"WillStG" <willstg@aol.comnospam> wrote in message ...

> (Ummm - what's "4 point editing"? Sounds like something I should know
> about... )

4 point editing is the editing model developed by Sonic Solutions and now
also adopted by DAW's such as Sequoia, Pyramix and even SADiE. In short,
you specify specific points for your edits in source and destination panels.
That allows for very quick and very precise edits. It is pretty much *the*
way to work- especially in classical editing and a lot of mastering work.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.fifthcircle.com

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 10:03:31 AM

Main (when people want to pay for tape) - Tascam MS-16

Main (probably gets more use) - Custom DAW with Sonar 3, Delta 1010
(with another stereo converter slaved to it for 10 I/O of analog)

"B room" (not setup at the moment but was setup a while back) - my
old Tascam TSR-8

Mixes go to a Tascam BR-20T, Tascam CD-RW700, DA-30 in that order
(I've got a cassette deck (Tascam 112R) too but rarely use that for
anything anymore).

"B Room" mixes go to a Phillips standalone CD-R/RW deck, but sometimes
I even use an old Teac A-660 cassette deck.

"B room" is more a writing/dink around with old tapes kinda room.

Analogeezer
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 10:51:34 AM

<< "Benjamin Maas" benmaas@nospamfifthcircle.com >
<< 4 point editing is the editing model developed by Sonic Solutions and now
also adopted by DAW's such as Sequoia, Pyramix and even SADiE. In short,
you specify specific points for your edits in source and destination panels.
That allows for very quick and very precise edits. It is pretty much *the*
way to work- especially in classical editing and a lot of mastering work. >>

I've been kinda lining up takes (tracks grouped), cutting a hole in the
top main take and trimming the in and out points, then drag copying the other
take's section I want edited in into the hole. It is a bit of work when I have
to do that kind of thing, but I get used to it.

How is "4 point editing" different and faster again?

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News
October 21, 2004 11:33:45 AM

walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich) wrote in message news:<1glymhq.3gz8ug1duivfpN%walkinay@thegrid.net>...
> Mike wrote:
>
> > I have an Alesis HD24 which at
> > this point is primarily for live recording.
>
> Has it been realiable for you? Any failures? Lost any tracks?

Not lost any tracks but it has fallen out of recording on two occasions live.
Apparently it is a pretty sensitive to vibration. There is a firmware update
that supposed to expand the read tolerances of the disc and solve it. Havent
updated to it yet.

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 12:05:46 PM

mmeprod@mmeproductions.com (Mike) wrote in message news:<934b3e2c.0410190702.46fc1ea1@posting.google.com>...
> Wanted to take an informal pole of what people's main studio recorder
> is. DAW?, analog tape? Standalone hard disc recorder?
>

> Mine is is mac/motu/tascam daw. But have HD24 as well for live.
>

> Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

90% tracked to analog tape, then dumped through RADAR into ProTools.
Overdubs, piano/vocal gtr/vocal and jingle sessions usually skip the
analog tape.
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 1:24:33 PM

In article <OfFdd.220463$wV.164634@attbi_s54> benmaas@nospamfifthcircle.com writes:

> 4 point editing is the editing model developed by Sonic Solutions and now
> also adopted by DAW's such as Sequoia, Pyramix and even SADiE. In short,
> you specify specific points for your edits in source and destination panels.
> That allows for very quick and very precise edits. It is pretty much *the*
> way to work- especially in classical editing and a lot of mastering work.

It's just like tape editing. You select the pieces you want to put
together from a "source" pane and stick them where you want them in
the "destination" pane. The good part is that you don't drop the
pieces on the floor and have to find them when you need them, you can
make as many copies of a segment as you need if you want to use the
same thing in several places, and you can make any piece longer or
shorter if it doesn't fit as you initially cut it.

October 21, 2004 7:05:02 PM

1) Fostex VF16 with Evant EZBus (EZBus replaced Fostex VC8 for 8
additional analog inputs to VF16) + terratec EWS88D as PC interface.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 8:40:11 AM

"WillStG" <willstg@aol.comnospam> wrote in message ...
> << "Benjamin Maas" benmaas@nospamfifthcircle.com >
> << 4 point editing is the editing model developed by Sonic Solutions and
now
> also adopted by DAW's such as Sequoia, Pyramix and even SADiE. In short,
> you specify specific points for your edits in source and destination
panels.
> That allows for very quick and very precise edits. It is pretty much
*the*
> way to work- especially in classical editing and a lot of mastering work.
>>

> I've been kinda lining up takes (tracks grouped), cutting a hole in
the
> top main take and trimming the in and out points, then drag copying the
other
> take's section I want edited in into the hole. It is a bit of work when I
have
> to do that kind of thing, but I get used to it.
>
> How is "4 point editing" different and faster again?

It is sort of similar- Generally, the source and destination are separate
panels with their own independent zoom levels... You place markers
indicating the beginning and/or end of the source and/or destination. The
process is also a lot more automated...

Written out, it is much more convoluted sounding than it actually is. It is
a very fast editing method. All the DAWs that use it also have pretty
kick-ass crossfade editors as well (ie Sonic, SADiE, Sequoia, and Pyramix)
so the editing process is fast and precise. When I get going, I've hit 50
or more edits per hour including finding the in and out points.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.fifthcircle.com

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 5:03:10 PM

<< Well some studios have A and B rooms. I suppose what is in the A room
would be the main recorder. >>

Pro Tools HD3 on a G5 dual 1.8 gig with Digi192 and 96i/o interfaces. I sold
my JH24 a year after replacing my MixPlus system. I had done one significant
project on the analog deck in the intervening time. It's a shame. I really
liked working on 2".

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 12:42:45 PM

Mac G4 dual 500, OS 9, MOTU DP3, 1224, 1208mkII, Apogee Rosetta - Fostex
D824 for location work.

Gregg
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 8:02:03 PM

I have a nice home studio. I have 3 ADAT xt20s and an Alesis HD24
controlled (sort-of) by a BRC. I use Apogee converters and mix on an
02R. Everything is mixed down to an HHB 850 CD burner. I often record
on location and the HD24/Apogee combo is a God-send. My preamps are
(3) Pendulums and (1) Avalon. My mic cabinet is getting better with a
Soundelux U99, Neumann 184s and matching 103's, bla bla bla...

(BTW, I keep a database called Recording Chain. I record data from all
articles I read about the big cats' recording chains. By far and away,
the most frequently used recorder is Pro Tools and the most frequently
used vocal chain for women is the Sony 800 -- Neve preamp -- pro
tools)

But here's the thing I have learned. My recordings really only improve
a little bit with better stuff. When I listen to some of the folks
around here like Dorsey, Stamler, Rivers, Ty Ford, and at one time
Fletcher, my recordings improve by leaps and bounds. Learning to place
a mic by sticking a finger in one ear and listening for the best sound
by the other, will improve the results way more than upgrading from an
Oktava to a Neumann.

Regards,

John
!