My ping skyrockets at random times

Stendal

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Hello,
For months now, my ping has been randomly spiking at an inconsistent rate. I can be good for an hour, and down for a week. My usual ping is a solid 15, but it has gone as high as 1000. I've gotten a new modem, and that has changed the problem a little bit(I no longer suffer extreme download and upload loss when my ping drops) but I have yet to find a fix for the problem. I'm at my wits end with this, any help would be appreciated.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
If you mean ping in a game that is affected by many things even the video driver can affect that sometime. If you mean a ping command then I suspect you are running wireless. Wireless unlike cabled will detect and retransmit data that has errors. Sometime its will do it over and over which takes time and increase the latency (ping time).

If you are using a cabled connection and the ping increases then you need to do a traceroute and see if your can determine where the ping increases. Your ISP may have oversold their bandwidth and you are competing with all your neighbors.