How do you guys deal with dumb callers?

I know this message will offend some people, but I just have to get some
insight on how studio owners deal with call after call from idiots?!?!?! So,
don't get mad at me for being impatient with ignorant people, I'm trying to
learn how to better deal with it.
Typical call (at least once a day):
Me: Hello, Boogie Tracks.
Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
Me: What are you wanting to do?
Them: I just need a demo, I have a friend that has a brother that rented a car
to a guy that carried the groceries for a guy that works security at Sony
Records, so I need to send him a demo.
Me: Ok, so, what do you need to do.
Them: I've got a couple songs I need to record, to send to... (see above
answer).
Me: Ok, so you are a singer? And you have written 2 songs?
Them: Yeah
Me: Is it just you and a guitar?
Them: No, I just got the words, I need the music.
Me: So, really, you have half a song?
Them: No, I've written 2 songs, I just need the music. Do you got the music
there?
Me: No, I don't have the music here. You need the other half of the song
written, or a chord chart, or even just tell me the chords and we'll hire a
guitar player or piano player, whatever you want to play it.
Them: Well, I got it in my head, I don't need anyone screwing up the song I
wrote.
Me: Ok, so what do you want to do?
Them: How much does it cost to make a demo?
etc............

So you see where this is going? I'm sure I'm not the only one getting all of
these calls. What do you guys do? I'm the most expensive guy in town (in
hopes of deterring amatures so they will go to the home studios around here)
but it doesn't work! I know this makes me sound like an ass, but I'm really
starting to lose it.
Thanks for the help.
JJ
77 answers Last reply
More about guys deal dumb callers

    Don't you have a fixed rate for specific services? Would quoting those prices be
    enough?

    If he's not ready, or doesn't really know what he wants to do, it's not your
    fault you can't provide an estimate.

    Druhms wrote:

    > So you see where this is going? I'm sure I'm not the only one getting all of
    > these calls. What do you guys do? I'm the most expensive guy in town (in
    > hopes of deterring amatures so they will go to the home studios around here)
    > but it doesn't work! I know this makes me sound like an ass, but I'm really
    > starting to lose it.

    Go to Harvey Gerst's Indian Trail Studios site and look over the way he
    present info for musos. That might give some ideas.

    There is a point beyond which there is just no way to communicate
    successfully. "Hi, I want to build a bicycle, but I don't have a
    ladder". Etc.

    --
    ha

    Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
    Me: About 5 thousand dollars...
    Them: (long pause) O.K. thank you...

    --
    Steven Sena
    XS Sound Recording

    Steven Sena <xssound@comcast.net> wrote:
    >Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
    > Me: About 5 thousand dollars...
    >Them: (long pause) O.K. thank you...

    I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
    is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.
    --scott

    "Steven Sena" <xssound@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
    > Me: About 5 thousand dollars...
    > Them: (long pause) O.K. thank you...

    LOL!

    --Nick

    > I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
    > is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.

    Okay, well, you can't just stop there.

    Now why exactly were you miking a lawn mower?

    --Nick

    Nick <delonas@NOSPAMcultv.com> wrote:
    >"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
    >> I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
    >> is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.
    >
    >Okay, well, you can't just stop there.
    >
    >Now why exactly were you miking a lawn mower?

    Because it was part of the band, of course. They drove it around on stage
    for one song. Sort of like Georges Antheil, but different. Oh well, they
    paid on time....
    --scott

    in article cl46m5$c2c$1@panix2.panix.com, Scott Dorsey at kludge@panix.com
    wrote on 10/19/04 4:06 PM:

    >> Now why exactly were you miking a lawn mower?
    >
    > Because it was part of the band, of course. They drove it around on stage
    > for one song. Sort of like Georges Antheil, but different. Oh well, they
    > paid on time....
    > --scott
    > --

    Sounds like Tom Ze.

    Carlos

    > Typical call (at least once a day):
    >Me: Hello, Boogie Tracks.
    >Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
    >Me: What are you wanting to do?
    >Them: I just need a demo, I have a friend that has a brother that rented a car
    >to a guy that carried the groceries for a guy that works security at Sony
    >Records, so I need to send him a demo.

    Quote your highest hourly price right here. If they're smart enough to
    try to negotiate then they will reveal whether or not they know
    anything about the recording business at all. If they want to chat,
    then tell them you can fit them in on Thursday for a consultation at
    1/2 rate per hour. Stress how much money the consultation will save
    them in the long run.

    If they book it, great, if not, tell them you have to get back to a
    Very Important Session, and they wouldn't want someone interrupting
    their Very Important Session, now would they? Laugh, get their number
    if you care, and hang up.

    Otherwise it's a bit like asking a dealer in Las Vegas if you can play
    some hands for free to watch how the game is played.

    >So you see where this is going? I'm sure I'm not the only one getting all of
    >these calls. What do you guys do? I'm the most expensive guy in town (in
    >hopes of deterring amatures so they will go to the home studios around here)
    >but it doesn't work! I know this makes me sound like an ass,

    Nah, you're upping your standards. Up theirs.

    Kurt Riemann

    Well, I hope you at least kept the recording for sale as a sound effect.
    ;-)

    (Actually, it sounds like an interesting project to me.)

    --
    Nick D.
    http://cultv.com

    > Nick <delonas@NOSPAMcultv.com> wrote:
    >>"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
    >>> I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
    >>> is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.
    >>
    >>Okay, well, you can't just stop there.
    >>
    >>Now why exactly were you miking a lawn mower?
    >
    > Because it was part of the band, of course. They drove it around on stage
    > for one song. Sort of like Georges Antheil, but different. Oh well, they
    > paid on time....
    > --scott

    I am doing a cheap demo for a local young hardcore band..5 songs..live
    instruments, guitar and vocal overdubs. One 8 hour session, 1 3 hour guitar
    overdub..and a scheduled mix session..all of which was thouroghly discussed in
    the one hour consultation. Today..mix session..guitarist calls up..has the
    flu..tells me he thought they were just gonna come and pick up the final
    master. I told him..I did some editing but no mix..I thought the band wanted to
    be present. He told me to finish it. I spent 3 hours total editing and
    tweaking..plus a trip to my car. Called the guitarist to schedule a
    pickup..he's in bed..I talk to his mother and tell her they can pick up cd's
    tomorrow and they owe me for 3 hours. Someone else in the band's father calls
    me
    ...asking me how much more money I am going to try and get out of his kids
    band...threatens to call the Attorney General and then he says he's coming down
    to the studio. No contract..just verbal.
    Any ideas?
    John A. Chiara
    SOS Recording Studio
    Live Sound Inc.
    Albany, NY
    www.sosrecording.net
    518-449-1637

    "Blind Joni" <blindjoni@aol.com> wrote in message

    > tomorrow and they owe me for 3 hours. Someone else in the band's father
    > calls
    > me
    > ..asking me how much more money I am going to try and get out of his kids
    > band...threatens to call the Attorney General and then he says he's coming
    > down
    > to the studio. No contract..just verbal.
    > Any ideas?

    Tell him there is no contract each tiem you sit down at a restaurant but
    before you leave you are expected to pay for your goods...

    If that doesnt work - kick some ass...

    blindjoni@aol.com (Blind Joni) wrote:

    >I am doing a cheap demo for a local young hardcore band..5 songs..live
    >instruments, guitar and vocal overdubs. One 8 hour session, 1 3 hour guitar
    >overdub..and a scheduled mix session..all of which was thouroghly discussed in
    >the one hour consultation. Today..mix session..guitarist calls up..has the
    >flu..tells me he thought they were just gonna come and pick up the final
    >master. I told him..I did some editing but no mix..I thought the band wanted to
    >be present. He told me to finish it. I spent 3 hours total editing and
    >tweaking..plus a trip to my car. Called the guitarist to schedule a
    >pickup..he's in bed..I talk to his mother and tell her they can pick up cd's
    >tomorrow and they owe me for 3 hours. Someone else in the band's father calls
    >me, asking me how much more money I am going to try and get out of his kids
    >band...threatens to call the Attorney General and then he says he's coming down
    >to the studio. No contract..just verbal.
    >Any ideas?

    John,

    You need to have something like this posted clearly on your website:
    Standard hourly rate: Less than 8 hours - $40/hr
    Day rate - 8 hours or more: - $35/hr
    Commercial hourly: - $50/hr
    Mastering: - $40/hr

    Audio CD’s:
    15 minute program or less - $5
    Up to 60 minute - $10
    Data backup CD’s - $15

    Hard drive storage: - $20/gigabyte

    POLICIES:

    All bookings require a 50% non-refundable deposit. No product will be released
    until balance is paid in full. Payment due at session end unless advance
    arrangements have been made.

    Then, you quietly explain to the father that the band had scheduled a mixing
    session, which you did, and they owe you for that time.

    Harvey Gerst
    Indian Trail Recording Studio
    http://www.ITRstudio.com/

    Hi John,

    That's a tough one. Are the band members minors, especially the guitarist?
    I don't know what the law says about verbal contracts with minors but I
    thought Kringe's comment was awesome about how restaurants don't have paper
    or verbal contracts ( or even statements or disclaimers that ordering food
    obligates you for the cost of goods and services etc ) but everyone over the
    age of 5 or 6 pretty much knows that restaurants an stores just don't give
    stuff to people without payment.

    I'd say have at least one decent sized friend over to watch your back and a
    phone ready at hand in case this 'angry dad' gets out of control and you
    need to call the police 'etc' but otherwise don't overly respond to his
    hostility, meaning don't back down just to get rid of him and don't get
    overly upset trying to out scream him. Calmly explain what took place as
    you did in your RAP post and that you explained to the band what your rates
    are. ( and your Rate Card on your site spells out what you expect to be
    paid )

    Maybe at least very simple contracts would be a good idea in the future and
    recording all of your conversations and calls with clients ( with their
    permission of course ) might be a good idea too.

    Best of luck!

    John L Rice
    Drummer@ImJohn.com

    "Kringe" <savadious@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Blind Joni" <blindjoni@aol.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > tomorrow and they owe me for 3 hours. Someone else in the band's father
    > > calls
    > > me
    > > ..asking me how much more money I am going to try and get out of his
    kids
    > > band...threatens to call the Attorney General and then he says he's
    coming
    > > down
    > > to the studio. No contract..just verbal.
    > > Any ideas?
    >

    > Tell him there is no contract each tiem you sit down at a restaurant but
    > before you leave you are expected to pay for your goods...
    >
    > If that doesnt work - kick some ass...

    Excellent thought, I'll try to use that often. ( the part about the
    restaurant is good too ;-)

    John L Rice
    Drummer@ImJohn.com

    << >Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
    > Me: About 5 thousand dollars...
    >Them: (long pause) O.K. thank you...

    I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
    is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.
    --scott

    For 5 thousand dollars I'll mic a combine.

    -R

    R Krizman wrote:
    > << >Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
    >
    >> Me: About 5 thousand dollars...
    >>Them: (long pause) O.K. thank you...
    >

    > I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
    > is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.
    > --scott
    > >>

    > For 5 thousand dollars I'll mic a combine.
    >
    > -R

    Hell, for 5 large I'll mike someone passing gas!

    But they'll have to bring their own mic. And a can of Lysol....

    << That is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.
    --scott

    For 5 thousand dollars I'll mic a combine.

    -R >>

    One time I recorded a Bulldozer! (well ok we claimed it was a bulldozer but it
    was really a backhoe).

    Worse than that was the song. "Dozerman and Didie Girl". A song about the man
    who (really) drove a bulldozer and his little daughter. Ouch. I did it as a
    favor for an old neighbor's good friend. The guy really thought he had written
    something great. The worst part is I did it for free.

    Picture these goofballs debating if they backhoe revved high enough in the
    intro or the middle or can I make it sound like it's driving away (Hey let's re
    record it driving away).... Yet this dude is singing "Dozerman and Didie
    Girl"... WOW!

    ---------------------------------------

    > Tell him there is no contract each tiem you sit down at a restaurant
    > but before you leave you are expected to pay for your goods...

    Wrong analogy. The prices are printed on the menu.

    > ...asking me how much more money I am going to try and get
    > out of his kids' band... threatens to call the Attorney General
    > and then he says he's coming down to the studio. No contract...
    > just verbal.

    No contract? Major mistake. Especially when dealing with (I assume) minors.

    If the father stops by, don't get the least bit angry, regardless of how he
    behaves. Clearly describe the work performed, explain your usual rates, etc,
    etc.

    > Tell him there is no contract each tiem you sit down at a restaurant but
    > before you leave you are expected to pay for your goods...
    >
    > If that doesnt work - kick some ass...

    I'm sure that when you go to a restarurant the person taking your order writes
    it down on there little pad, that makes it writen and likely quite legal.

    Raymond wrote:
    >>Tell him there is no contract each tiem you sit down at a restaurant but
    >>before you leave you are expected to pay for your goods...
    >>
    >>If that doesnt work - kick some ass...
    >

    > I'm sure that when you go to a restarurant the person taking your order writes
    > it down on there little pad, that makes it writen and likely quite legal.

    An order scribbled on a notepad is certainly not a legal binding
    agreement. The waiter does not have me sign it. Sometime I wish they
    would have me sign it, that way I would be assured that my order is correct.

    --
    Eric

    www.Raw-Tracks.com

    Mitchell Benson <nitronickbenson@netscape.com> wrote in message news:<aOjdd.75632$tU4.1290@okepread06>...
    > R Krizman wrote:
    > > << >Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
    > >
    > >> Me: About 5 thousand dollars...
    > >>Them: (long pause) O.K. thank you...
    > >

    > > I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
    > > is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.
    > > --scott
    > > >>

    > > For 5 thousand dollars I'll mic a combine.
    > >
    > > -R
    >
    > Hell, for 5 large I'll mike someone passing gas!
    >
    > But they'll have to bring their own mic. And a can of Lysol....

    I was at Howard Stern's studio a few years ago installing the KM150s
    they use for guest mics, and I witnessed mics (SM58s, if I recall
    correctly) being subjected to much worse than just passing gas. I cn
    only hope that they have more potent disenfectant than Lysol at that
    show...

    Karl Winkler
    Lectrosonics, Inc.
    http://www.lectrosonics.com

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:04:09 -0400, Druhms wrote
    (in article <20041019130409.08241.00002138@mb-m10.aol.com>):

    > I know this message will offend some people, but I just have to get some
    > insight on how studio owners deal with call after call from idiots?!?!?! So,

    > don't get mad at me for being impatient with ignorant people, I'm trying to
    > learn how to better deal with it.

    JJ,

    I just give 'em your number! :)

    Ty

    stuff are at www.tyford.com

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:07:18 -0400, Steven Sena wrote
    (in article <9mfdd.211640$wV.119115@attbi_s54>):

    > Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
    > Me: About 5 thousand dollars...
    > Them: (long pause) O.K. thank you...

    That'll work!

    Ty

    stuff are at www.tyford.com

    In article <20041020021129.08579.00002315@mb-m12.aol.com>, EggHd
    <egghd@aol.com> wrote:

    > << That is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.
    > --scott
    >
    > One time I recorded a Bulldozer! (well ok we claimed it was a bulldozer but it
    > was really a backhoe).

    We once did a multitrack avant-garde piece done exclusively with an
    electric can opener. The guy spent hours doing it and even had to go to
    a nearby store to buy a new one after burning out the motor of the one
    he brought.

    Amazingly, I do not still have a copy of it.

    (Amazingly, the Red Sox won again! If you never hear from me again,
    blame it on the upcoming Game 7.)

    David Correia
    Celebration Sound
    Warren, Rhode Island

    CelebrationSound@aol.com
    www.CelebrationSound.com

    In article <20041019212707.22420.00000899@mb-m06.aol.com>,
    Blind Joni <blindjoni@aol.com> wrote:
    >I am doing a cheap demo for a local young hardcore band..5 songs..live
    >instruments, guitar and vocal overdubs. One 8 hour session, 1 3 hour guitar
    >overdub..and a scheduled mix session..all of which was thouroghly discussed in
    >the one hour consultation. Today..mix session..guitarist calls up..has the
    >flu..tells me he thought they were just gonna come and pick up the final
    >master. I told him..I did some editing but no mix..I thought the band wanted to
    >be present. He told me to finish it. I spent 3 hours total editing and
    >tweaking..plus a trip to my car. Called the guitarist to schedule a
    >pickup..he's in bed..I talk to his mother and tell her they can pick up cd's
    >tomorrow and they owe me for 3 hours. Someone else in the band's father calls
    >me
    >..asking me how much more money I am going to try and get out of his kids
    >band...threatens to call the Attorney General and then he says he's coming down
    >to the studio. No contract..just verbal.
    >Any ideas?

    Well, you tell him the truth. They asked you to do it, so you did it.
    They can pay the money or you can keep the mixdowns. Invite the father to
    come down to the studio and see what you do and why it costs what it does.
    --scott

    egghd@aol.com (EggHd) wrote in message news:<20041020021129.08579.00002315@mb-m12.aol.com>...
    > << That is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.
    > --scott
    > >>

    > For 5 thousand dollars I'll mic a combine.
    >
    > -R >>
    >
    > One time I recorded a Bulldozer! (well ok we claimed it was a bulldozer but it
    > was really a backhoe).
    >
    > Worse than that was the song. "Dozerman and Didie Girl". A song about the man
    > who (really) drove a bulldozer and his little daughter. Ouch. I did it as a
    > favor for an old neighbor's good friend. The guy really thought he had written
    > something great. The worst part is I did it for free.

    OK, let's see if I'm the first:

    What mic and pre did you use - at what distance? On axis? Off axis? :)

    What was used on the can opener?

    Mikey Wozniak
    Nova Music Productions
    This sig is haiku

    EggHd wrote:

    > Worse than that was the song. "Dozerman and Didie Girl". A song about
    > the man who (really) drove a bulldozer and his little daughter. Ouch. I
    > did it as a favor for an old neighbor's good friend. The guy really
    > thought he had written something great. The worst part is I did it for
    > free.

    You'd feel even worse about this if you had taken money.

    --
    ha

    > Because it was part of the band, of course. They drove it around on stage
    > for one song. Sort of like Georges Antheil, but different. Oh well, they
    > paid on time....
    > --scott

    I once did an editorial job for a live act that wanted to mix in
    samples. I mixed sound effects over the sound of a bandsaw that lasted
    10 minutes. My ears were not happy.

    > recording all of your conversations and calls with clients ( with their
    > permission of course )

    I think there is not legal requirement to ask for permission, or inform, if
    you are a direct party to the conversation.
    Informing the caller/client for courtesy and scary purposes could be good.
    Depends upon the other person, don't ya know.

    In article <QHudd.10643$2q4.9817@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>, JesseJ2
    @LogicalArts-remove-to-reply.com says...
    > I think there is not legal requirement to ask for permission, or inform, if
    > you are a direct party to the conversation.

    No.. this depends on the state. In some states, both parties need to be
    aware of the recording; in some states, only one.

    --
    Jay Levitt |
    Wellesley, MA | Hi!

    "William Sommerwerck" <williams@nwlink.com> wrote in message
    > > ...asking me how much more money I am going to try and get
    > > out of his kids' band... threatens to call the Attorney General
    > > and then he says he's coming down to the studio. No contract...
    > > just verbal.
    >
    > No contract? Major mistake. Especially when dealing with (I assume)
    minors.

    > If the father stops by, don't get the least bit angry, regardless of how
    he
    > behaves. Clearly describe the work performed, explain your usual rates,
    etc,
    > etc.

    Minors can't sign a contract.

    Just sayin'.

    dtk

    > Minors can't sign a contract.

    Whether or not, that doesn't mean he couldn't have given them a document
    spelling out what was to be done, the rates, etc.

    << You'd feel even worse about this if you had taken money. >>

    I'd feel better if I still had a copy.....

    ---------------------------------------

    kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in message news:<cl40g0$67r$1@panix2.panix.com>...
    > Steven Sena <xssound@comcast.net> wrote:
    > >Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
    > > Me: About 5 thousand dollars...
    > >Them: (long pause) O.K. thank you...
    >
    > I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
    > is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.
    > --scott

    Refresh us. How did you mike that lawnmower?

    Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

    blindjoni@aol.com (Blind Joni) wrote in message news:<20041019212707.22420.00000899@mb-m06.aol.com>...
    > I am doing a cheap demo for a local young hardcore band..5 songs..live
    > instruments, guitar and vocal overdubs. One 8 hour session, 1 3 hour guitar
    > overdub..and a scheduled mix session..all of which was thouroghly discussed in
    > the one hour consultation. Today..mix session..guitarist calls up..has the
    > flu..tells me he thought they were just gonna come and pick up the final
    > master. I told him..I did some editing but no mix..I thought the band wanted to
    > be present. He told me to finish it. I spent 3 hours total editing and
    > tweaking..plus a trip to my car. Called the guitarist to schedule a
    > pickup..he's in bed..I talk to his mother and tell her they can pick up cd's
    > tomorrow and they owe me for 3 hours. Someone else in the band's father calls
    > me
    > ..asking me how much more money I am going to try and get out of his kids
    > band...threatens to call the Attorney General and then he says he's coming down
    > to the studio. No contract..just verbal.
    > Any ideas?
    > John A. Chiara
    > SOS Recording Studio
    > Live Sound Inc.
    > Albany, NY
    > www.sosrecording.net
    > 518-449-1637

    I would tell them they have to pick it up now and can have it after
    they pay the balance. After that kick em to the kurb.

    Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

    "Druhms" <druhms@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I know this message will offend some people, but I just have to get
    some
    > insight on how studio owners deal with call after call from
    idiots?!?!?! So,
    > don't get mad at me for being impatient with ignorant people, I'm
    trying to
    > learn how to better deal with it.
    > Typical call (at least once a day):
    > Me: Hello, Boogie Tracks.
    > Them: Hi, how much does it cost to make a demo?
    > Me: What are you wanting to do?
    > Them: I just need a demo, I have a friend that has a brother that
    rented a car
    > to a guy that carried the groceries for a guy that works security at
    Sony
    > Records, so I need to send him a demo.
    > Me: Ok, so, what do you need to do.
    > Them: I've got a couple songs I need to record, to send to... (see
    above
    > answer).
    > Me: Ok, so you are a singer? And you have written 2 songs?
    > Them: Yeah
    > Me: Is it just you and a guitar?
    > Them: No, I just got the words, I need the music.
    > Me: So, really, you have half a song?
    > Them: No, I've written 2 songs, I just need the music. Do you got
    the music
    > there?
    > Me: No, I don't have the music here. You need the other half of
    the song
    > written, or a chord chart, or even just tell me the chords and
    we'll hire a
    > guitar player or piano player, whatever you want to play it.
    > Them: Well, I got it in my head, I don't need anyone screwing up
    the song I
    > wrote.
    > Me: Ok, so what do you want to do?
    > Them: How much does it cost to make a demo?
    > etc............
    >
    > So you see where this is going? I'm sure I'm not the only one
    getting all of
    > these calls. What do you guys do? I'm the most expensive guy in
    town (in
    > hopes of deterring amatures so they will go to the home studios
    around here)
    > but it doesn't work! I know this makes me sound like an ass, but
    I'm really
    > starting to lose it.
    > Thanks for the help.

    In your case I'd recommend just telling him that he's a "dumb caller"
    This will have the desired effect of causing him to hang up on you,
    thus wasting no more of your time.

    Norm Strong

    "Nick" <delonas@NOSPAMcultv.com> wrote in message
    > "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
    >> I do this. The problem is that sometimes the guys have the money. That
    >> is how I wound up miking a lawnmower.
    >
    > Okay, well, you can't just stop there.
    >
    > Now why exactly were you miking a lawn mower?

    Nick must be new to recording....

    (Jack) Douglas began hanging out with Lennon and his wife, Yoko Ono. He
    helped produce some of Ono's music, heavy on experimentation.

    That's putting it kindly. The strangest moment involved a track called Dead
    Rat. In the middle of the song, Ono left a 20-second gap. "I had a bad
    feeling about that hole -- I kept thinking of it as the dead rat solo," he
    says.

    Sure enough, he recalls, when all the tracks were cut, Ono's assistant
    showed up with a shoe box. Inside was a dead rat. Ono wanted it incorporated
    in the recording. So Douglas had his assistant place it on a stool and set
    up an expensive mike inches away.

    "Yoko wanders in like nothing, and says, "I see you have the rat ready to
    go -- let's get right to it,"' he says. "When the 20-second dead spot comes,
    I push up the fader. I'm listening. There's no noise, and I stop tape, and
    say to Yoko, "It's not quite right, is it?' And she says, "No, Jack, there's
    something wrong.' "

    Douglas had his assistant, stifling laughter, move the mike closer to the
    rat. "We do it again. I push the fader up, this time with a little smile and
    I say, "I think that's much better.' And she says, "That's a take.' "

    > Well, you tell him the truth. They asked you to do it, so you did it.
    > They can pay the money or you can keep the mixdowns. Invite the father to
    > come down to the studio and see what you do and why it costs what it does.

    Oh, man. I don't know. All he needs is this guy telling him what he's doing
    wrong in the mix ("my son should be LOUDER"). Of course that would be an
    excellent way to rope this guy in, as long as he agrees to pay while he
    "supervises" the mixdown.....

    "EricK" <eric@Raw-Tracks.com> wrote in message

    > An order scribbled on a notepad is certainly not a legal binding
    > agreement. The waiter does not have me sign it. Sometime I wish they would
    > have me sign it, that way I would be assured that my order is correct.

    Ah...only in RAP do I get to enjoy such sublime discussions ;)

    just got one

    "Wecording Center"

    "WhassUp?"

    What may I help you with?

    What do you do?

    We are a recording studio.

    Do you record songs?

    Yes, Studio rate is $50/hour.

    What does that include?

    Studio and engineer.

    Oh--Alright--Click!

    What the hell am I to do with that?

    Richard H. Kuschel

    >> Minors can't sign a contract.
    >
    >Whether or not, that doesn't mean he couldn't have given them a document
    >spelling out what was to be done, the rates, etc.

    Basically, I never have a contract for demo work..and everyuthing was clearly
    explained in the consultation. I'm not going to get upset..this stuff is good
    practice for a real crisis. It is interesting that the Dad; not even knowing
    what I do here, assumes to now how much "it" should cost.

    John A. Chiara
    SOS Recording Studio
    Live Sound Inc.
    Albany, NY
    www.sosrecording.net
    518-449-1637

    >Well, you tell him the truth. They asked you to do it, so you did it.
    >They can pay the money or you can keep the mixdowns. Invite the father to
    >come down to the studio and see what you do and why it costs what it does.
    >--scott

    This is my exact plan.

    John A. Chiara
    SOS Recording Studio
    Live Sound Inc.
    Albany, NY
    www.sosrecording.net
    518-449-1637

    On 20 Oct 2004 19:49:12 GMT, blindjoni@aol.com (Blind Joni) wrote:

    >>Well, you tell him the truth. They asked you to do it, so you did it.
    >>They can pay the money or you can keep the mixdowns. Invite the father to
    >>come down to the studio and see what you do and why it costs what it does.
    >>--scott
    >
    >This is my exact plan.

    Tell him this while you're at it -

    "I'm busy anyway, I have no need to do more work on this one project
    than absolutely necessary. Other people are waiting for their work,
    too."

    Kurt Riemann

    >John A. Chiara
    >SOS Recording Studio
    >Live Sound Inc.
    >Albany, NY
    >www.sosrecording.net
    >518-449-1637

    >Oh, man. I don't know. All he needs is this guy telling him what he's doing
    >wrong in the mix ("my son should be LOUDER"). Of course that would be an
    >excellent way to rope this guy in, as long as he agrees to pay while he
    >"supervises" the mixdown.....

    So this is how I can soak more money from the band..<g>.

    John A. Chiara
    SOS Recording Studio
    Live Sound Inc.
    Albany, NY
    www.sosrecording.net
    518-449-1637

    HAHA...so you're the one! I knew something had to be going on.
    JJ

    >JJ,
    >
    >I just give 'em your number! :)
    >
    >Ty

    Amen brother. I get those too. What the hell?!?! How do these people
    function in society?
    Recently someone berated my studio to me on the phone because I didn't have a
    kareoke player in my studio. "What kind of studio are you running down there?"
    I was asked sarcastically. Then the guy proceeded to inform me about his home
    kareoke setup and how I need to "get some real equipment" if I'm going to make
    it in the "music biz".
    If I could only have such a successful career singing kareoke down at the VFW.
    JJ

    >just got one
    >
    >"Wecording Center"
    >
    >"WhassUp?"
    >
    >What may I help you with?
    >
    >What do you do?
    >
    >We are a recording studio.
    >
    >Do you record songs?
    >
    >Yes, Studio rate is $50/hour.
    >
    >What does that include?
    >
    >Studio and engineer.
    >
    >Oh--Alright--Click!
    >

    >What the hell am I to do with that?
    >

    >Richard H. Kuschel

    << What mic and pre did you use - at what distance? >>

    The Pre was in my old Tascam model 35 that had been re chipped. Mic was a C412
    with a foam windscreen. Sound was so so.

Pro Audio Audio