A780 Phone

Last response: in Brands
December 2, 2004 10:44:17 PM

Does anyone know when this phone is going to be released in the
States? I'm afraid to purchase this on the grey market due to
possible problems or lack of support

More about : a780 phone

Anonymous
December 3, 2004 5:21:13 AM

This is first generation linux cell phone. From what I've seen so far
its better to wait to see what apps will be developed and what kind of
future it has . Since it more of a corporate level phone , the bluetooth
would concern us security geeks. The phone would have to get past your
companies security people. The bluetooth problem is suppose to be fix by
this time next year.
December 3, 2004 6:46:28 AM

I don't thinks I'd consider this a first generation phone, there was
the A760, A768, A768i, and the E680. So the A780 is just a progression
of that. But with the capability of bluetooth, java and edge its going
to be hard to beat. I think they missed the boat by not adding wi-fi
as welll but only time will tell. Hopefully it will not retail for the
exorbitent prices that the windows mobile systems are selling for.

On 3 Dec 2004 02:21:13 GMT, Drew Cutter <andrewc@wcoil.com> wrote:

>This is first generation linux cell phone. From what I've seen so far
>its better to wait to see what apps will be developed and what kind of
>future it has . Since it more of a corporate level phone , the bluetooth
>would concern us security geeks. The phone would have to get past your
>companies security people. The bluetooth problem is suppose to be fix by
>this time next year.
December 3, 2004 8:02:06 PM

BB wrote:
> I don't thinks I'd consider this a first generation phone, there was
> the A760, A768, A768i, and the E680. So the A780 is just a progression
> of that. But with the capability of bluetooth, java and edge its going
> to be hard to beat. I think they missed the boat by not adding wi-fi
> as welll but only time will tell. Hopefully it will not retail for the
> exorbitent prices that the windows mobile systems are selling for.
>

> On 3 Dec 2004 02:21:13 GMT, Drew Cutter <andrewc@wcoil.com> wrote:
>

>>This is first generation linux cell phone. From what I've seen so far
>>its better to wait to see what apps will be developed and what kind of
>>future it has . Since it more of a corporate level phone , the bluetooth
>>would concern us security geeks. The phone would have to get past your
>>companies security people. The bluetooth problem is suppose to be fix by
>>this time next year.

I agree on missing to boat on wifi. What bothers me the most is who is
selling linux based phones. I've asked verizon . Is there a enterprise
level cell phone division for verizon ? The A780 is not for the typical
user. Nor is the typical user going to pay for the A780 models on the
market. I just got a new Motorola v710 for now. I want a linux phone bad.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 4:42:28 AM

I put my self on the notification list as to when its available.
Verizon ?????
December 4, 2004 4:56:07 PM

"BB" <billyboy@okie.net> wrote in message
news:p 3ovq097rsjedu8ni1qj4r27hcvkn2bof4@4ax.com...
> I don't thinks I'd consider this a first generation phone, there was
> the A760, A768, A768i, and the E680. So the A780 is just a progression
> of that. But with the capability of bluetooth, java and edge its going
> to be hard to beat. I think they missed the boat by not adding wi-fi
> as welll but only time will tell. Hopefully it will not retail for the
> exorbitent prices that the windows mobile systems are selling for.

Is it considered a smartphone? (I know it's not a Microsoft Smartphone, but
is it considered a Linux smartphone?)

As the OP asked, anyone have any info as to when it will become available in
the USA? On which carrier(s)?
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 3:00:03 PM

MS wrote:
> "BB" <billyboy@okie.net> wrote in message
> news:p 3ovq097rsjedu8ni1qj4r27hcvkn2bof4@4ax.com...
>
>>I don't thinks I'd consider this a first generation phone, there was
>>the A760, A768, A768i, and the E680. So the A780 is just a progression
>>of that. But with the capability of bluetooth, java and edge its going
>>to be hard to beat. I think they missed the boat by not adding wi-fi
>>as welll but only time will tell. Hopefully it will not retail for the
>>exorbitent prices that the windows mobile systems are selling for.
>

> Is it considered a smartphone? (I know it's not a Microsoft Smartphone, but
> is it considered a Linux smartphone?)
>
> As the OP asked, anyone have any info as to when it will become available in
> the USA? On which carrier(s)?

You have to get on the mailing list as to when its release. I would call
it a linux smart phone.
December 6, 2004 12:54:11 AM

"Drew Cutter" <andrewc@wcoil.com> wrote in message

> You have to get on the mailing list as to when its release.

Sorry, not interested in getting spammed! I'm not getting on any company's
"e-mailing list". I doubt people on the list will really have info before
anyone else in any case. I was wondering if anyone reading had any inside
info--for instance, someone who works for Motorola, or a carrier that is
planning to carry the phone.
!