Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Wireless
  • Office
  • Network Drive
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 2, 2012 7:37:35 PM

I'm adding 2 laptops to an older office network for a friend and they need to have access to the network drives while in the office. Space is somewhat tight but there are a few places they can sit down to hard line into the network, but they would like to be able to access ti from anywhere int he office while on the laptops.

I have the drive mapped when it has a hard line to the network, but I can't get it to connect while they are on the wireless.

The wireless router is connected to the switch itself, not inline with anything and just another connection in the network. It's a Netgear N300, nothing that special.

I have tried using the server's outside IP to connect to it with no luck and I tried placing the router inline in front of the server but that did not work either.

Would I need to make it a wireless AP, or am I just doing this completely wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.

More about : connecting network drive wireless

a c 211 F Wireless
October 2, 2012 9:53:00 PM

If the computers can attach to the wireless network they should be able to access anything that they could access if attached by an Ethernet cable. You will have to configure the laptop network drive access to automatically reattach upon making a network connection though (check reconnect at login box).

What OSs are involved, laptops and machine with the networked drive?
m
l
October 2, 2012 11:57:26 PM

the router is attached in the same switch as the server not as the main router for the office.

I cant see any of the networked computers when on the wireless aside from other things using the wireless.

when I'm hooked into the hard line I can see all the desktops (XP Pro but will be upgraded to new machines running 7 pro soon) and the server fine.

Laptops are using windows 7 pro, server is running 2000 and 2003 (2 diff servers no idea why) the 2000 machine has the Z as an attached external.
m
l
Related resources
a c 211 F Wireless
October 3, 2012 12:43:00 AM

"the router is attached in the same switch as the server not as the main router for the office. "

Okay, so it sounds like the wireless is a subnet that is distinct from the main network. If that is the case then you will have to either turn that router into a wireless AP on the network by shutting off the DHCP, giving it an LAN to LAN port connection, and assigning it an address in the network range of whatever provides the DHCP service for the main network, or share the two subnets (main and wireless) by bridging adapters on a machine with access to both.
m
l
October 3, 2012 12:48:40 AM

Ok, thanks. Ill try that.

m
l
a c 211 F Wireless
October 3, 2012 8:56:59 AM

My first choice would be to turn off the added router DHCP, so make it an AP with a static address in the whole office network range but not in the DHCP assignable address range. Then the new wireless machines will automatically obtain an IP address from the single DHCP server on the network and will thus have addresses that allow them to see all devices and not just everything downstream from the wireless router.
m
l
!