Definitive Advice on removing existing Modem

roycymru

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
I would be grateful for definitive advice on removing my existing modem as the advice I have found on the web so far differs. I am planning to remove my existing PCTel HSP internal PCI 56K Modem and replace it with an external Diamond Supraexpress 56e Pro. I have a Windows 98SE, Pentium III 800 system. There seems to be two schools of thought on how to remove the existing modem from the system:

a) Via Control Panel, Modems, Remove
b) Via Device Manager, Modem, Remove

Which one of these is correct/better?

Also when I do one of the above and have removed the existing modem should I

1) Re-boot straight away with the new modem connected, or
2) Re-boot without it connected first, then shutdown, connect the new modem and boot again

I look forward to receiving your answers

Thanks

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Removing using either a) or b) should do the trick of uninstalling the drivers and let windows know that you want to disconnect the modem. I think I would use the device manager approach.
After removing the device, power off your computer, remove the modem and reboot to make sure the system boots ok. If the modem appears to be gone from the system, power off again and reinstall the new modem.
When you reboot, the OS should detect the new hardware and prompt for the drivers.

<i><b>Artificial intelligence will never be a match for natural stupidity</b></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you're leaving the modem in, why don't you leave it installed and simply switch the modem used for dialup in Dial Up Networking?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>