Novice question: how transfer analog audio to digital?

Last response: in Home Audio
October 19, 2004 10:14:30 PM

I have some old reel-to-reel tapes that I want to transfer to digital before
they disintegrate (if they haven't already). The question is how. I assume I
need (1) an A/D converter and an audio editing program.

I have a Dell PC with a SoundMAX Digital Audio sound card. It has one input
jack, but I don't know what kind, and of course the documentation I have
doesn't say. The pin it takes I imagine is long and thin, like what you find
on a portable CD player.

I found an A/D converter at Radio Shack on clearance for $25 (I didn't buy
it yet). It has two RCA inputs and one PCM (coax) output. I could find no
adapter to get the PCM output into the sound card.

As for the audio editing program, I found a free program called Audacity; I
wonder if anyone has used it, and if so what they thought.

Help! Thanks.
October 19, 2004 10:23:51 PM

In article <aQcdd.20571$YM4.5542793@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
"Denman Maroney" <denmanic@optonline.net> wrote:

> I have some old reel-to-reel tapes that I want to transfer to digital before
> they disintegrate (if they haven't already). The question is how. I assume I
> need (1) an A/D converter and an audio editing program.
>
> I have a Dell PC with a SoundMAX Digital Audio sound card. It has one input
> jack, but I don't know what kind, and of course the documentation I have
> doesn't say. The pin it takes I imagine is long and thin, like what you find
> on a portable CD player.
>
> I found an A/D converter at Radio Shack on clearance for $25 (I didn't buy
> it yet). It has two RCA inputs and one PCM (coax) output. I could find no
> adapter to get the PCM output into the sound card.
>
> As for the audio editing program, I found a free program called Audacity; I
> wonder if anyone has used it, and if so what they thought.
>
> Help! Thanks.

your sound card can take direct analouge line in from the output of your
rtr or mixer
the a/d is done farther upstream

October 20, 2004 4:45:21 AM

Audacity rocks!