V3 Charging

Last response: in Brands
December 3, 2004 2:56:19 PM

I have left the charger for my v3 at work, thinking that the USB cable & PC
would charge it up for me. However, I have let it go completely flat - and
now the USB wont charge the phone. Any ideas anyone.

P.S. Work is a 200 mile round trip.

FJ.

More about : charging

Anonymous
December 3, 2004 6:23:26 PM

FJ wrote:
> I have left the charger for my v3 at work, thinking that the USB cable & PC
> would charge it up for me. However, I have let it go completely flat - and
> now the USB wont charge the phone. Any ideas anyone.
>
> P.S. Work is a 200 mile round trip.
>
> FJ.

Maby you can try another USB Port, some Port even the ones for devices
with lower powver needs, disable the output
bernd
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 6:23:27 PM

I have a Zip-Linq cable that I have tried to use and it doesn't work either.
Not from the USB port, A/C charger or the car charger. What cable are you
using?

"Bernd Buske" <bbuske@tiscali.de> wrote in message
> FJ wrote:
>> I have left the charger for my v3 at work, thinking that the USB cable &
>> PC would charge it up for me. However, I have let it go completely flat -
>> and now the USB wont charge the phone. Any ideas anyone.
>>
>> P.S. Work is a 200 mile round trip.
>>
>> FJ.
> Maby you can try another USB Port, some Port even the ones for devices
> with lower powver needs, disable the output
> bernd
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 7:21:45 PM

TScottTX wrote:
> I have a Zip-Linq cable that I have tried to use and it doesn't work either.
> Not from the USB port, A/C charger or the car charger. What cable are you
> using?

using the default cable comes with Sony DCP1 digital Camera

using Sonys DCP1 digital Camera default cable

Bernd
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 8:32:32 PM

I'm using an mini-USB cable that came with my MP3 Player and it charges the
phone from my computer. Maybe it's your cable or port. Try removing the
battery and putting it back in. Can someone at work mail the charger to you?
I understand that the chargers for the MPX200 will also work with the v3 and
are more readily available so maybe you could find one locally.

> TScottTX wrote:
>> I have a Zip-Linq cable that I have tried to use and it doesn't work
>> either. Not from the USB port, A/C charger or the car charger. What
>> cable are you using?
>>
> using the default cable comes with Sony DCP1 digital Camera
>
> using Sonys DCP1 digital Camera default cable
>
> Bernd
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 9:50:33 PM

I messed about with the USB settings & different ports to no avail, and
every USB cable I own didnt suit the phone connection, hit lucky though
because one of the guys from work is heading off for the weekend and coming
through this direction later on. I'll remember not to let it happen in the
future.
Thanks for your help.

FJ.
"brobin" <nospam@atmyplace.com> wrote in message
> I'm using an mini-USB cable that came with my MP3 Player and it charges
> the phone from my computer. Maybe it's your cable or port. Try removing
> the battery and putting it back in. Can someone at work mail the charger
> to you? I understand that the chargers for the MPX200 will also work with
> the v3 and are more readily available so maybe you could find one locally.
>

> "Bernd Buske" <bbuske@tiscali.de> wrote in message
>> TScottTX wrote:
>>> I have a Zip-Linq cable that I have tried to use and it doesn't work
>>> either. Not from the USB port, A/C charger or the car charger. What
>>> cable are you using?
>>>
>> using the default cable comes with Sony DCP1 digital Camera
>>
>> using Sonys DCP1 digital Camera default cable
>>
>> Bernd

Anonymous
December 4, 2004 8:17:17 PM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <lR1sd.4120956$A6.12736502@telenews.teleline.es> on Fri, 03 Dec 2004
18:00:49 GMT, "César González" <cesisa@hotmail.com> wrote:

>NO PLEASE.
>
>The chargers for MPX200 doesn't work with V3. You can damage seriosly the
>phone.

If true, that would be incredibly bad engineering.

December 4, 2004 8:57:01 PM

I don't know what his claim is based on. Both have an output of 5vdc which
is standard for USB. Both the MPX200 and the v3 use a mini usb connector and
I charge my v3 from my PC using the USB cable.

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <lR1sd.4120956$A6.12736502@telenews.teleline.es> on Fri, 03 Dec 2004
> 18:00:49 GMT, "César González" <cesisa@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>NO PLEASE.
>>
>>The chargers for MPX200 doesn't work with V3. You can damage seriosly the
>>phone.
>
> If true, that would be incredibly bad engineering.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 1:26:27 AM

brobin wrote:
> I don't know what his claim is based on. Both have an output of 5vdc which
> is standard for USB. Both the MPX200 and the v3 use a mini usb connector and
> I charge my v3 from my PC using the USB cable.

Any idea what other Motorola phones are capable of this (v400, v551?)
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 1:16:58 PM

"Bob Horvath" <usenet@horvath.com> wrote in message news:gO2dnQJhIrFREC_cRVn-ow@comcast.com...
> brobin wrote:
>> I don't know what his claim is based on. Both have an output of 5vdc which is standard for USB.
>> Both the MPX200 and the v3 use a mini usb connector and I charge my v3 from my PC using the USB
>> cable.
>
> Any idea what other Motorola phones are capable of this (v400, v551?)

My workmate's V200 did only last week when he bought a cable from carphone warehouse after his
charger died.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 8:48:21 PM

Although it's a different connector on the phone end, the USB cable for the
v300,400,500 & 600 will also charge the phone.

"Bob Horvath" <usenet@horvath.com> wrote in message
> brobin wrote:
>> I don't know what his claim is based on. Both have an output of 5vdc
>> which is standard for USB. Both the MPX200 and the v3 use a mini usb
>> connector and I charge my v3 from my PC using the USB cable.
>
> Any idea what other Motorola phones are capable of this (v400, v551?)
December 8, 2004 6:39:58 AM

Not necessarily true.
Lithium-ion batteries have a small microchip in the battery pack.
The wall and car chargers also have a compatible chip.
To simplify, the charger and battery pack communicate during the charging
process so the current is carefully regulated. Just putting voltage on the
phone via USB does not mean it's charging. The PC would need s/w loaded and
running that regulates charging and communicates with the phone battery
pack.

Lithium is combustible and if charging isn't regulated properly, it will
overheat, explode etc.
Sound ridiculous? Check all the recent news reports on exploding Kyocera
phones with Verizon customers and elsewhere in Asia with some Nokia
counterfeit battery packs. All are Lithium-ion based.

--
Steve
> Although it's a different connector on the phone end, the USB cable for
> the v300,400,500 & 600 will also charge the phone.
>
> "Bob Horvath" <usenet@horvath.com> wrote in message
>> brobin wrote:
>>> I don't know what his claim is based on. Both have an output of 5vdc
>>> which is standard for USB. Both the MPX200 and the v3 use a mini usb
>>> connector and I charge my v3 from my PC using the USB cable.
>>
>> Any idea what other Motorola phones are capable of this (v400, v551?)

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 6:39:59 AM

Steve <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote:
> Not necessarily true.
> Lithium-ion batteries have a small microchip in the battery pack.
> The wall and car chargers also have a compatible chip.
> To simplify, the charger and battery pack communicate during the
> charging process so the current is carefully regulated. Just putting
> voltage on the phone via USB does not mean it's charging. The PC
> would need s/w loaded and running that regulates charging and
> communicates with the phone battery pack.

My Razr V3 charges via the USB cable from my PC. My PC has no
battery-charging software. When I connect the partially-charged phone to
the PC, the battery indicator starts flashing and the home screen says
"Charging." Later, after disconnection, the battery level indicator shows
full charge.

> Lithium is combustible and if charging isn't regulated properly, it
> will overheat, explode etc.
> Sound ridiculous? Check all the recent news reports on exploding
> Kyocera phones with Verizon customers and elsewhere in Asia with some
> Nokia counterfeit battery packs. All are Lithium-ion based.

[Gulp] Well, I'll just hope that Motorola didn't inadvertently omit an
all-uppercase warning from the user manual. On the other hand, what would
the warning say -- don't connect your phone to the computer?

--
For mail, please use my surname where indicated:
steve@surname.reno.nv.us (Steve Brecher)

I wrote:
> My Razr V3 charges via the USB cable from my PC. My PC has no
> battery-charging software.

But it has the drivers installed by Motorola Phone Tools. And when I
connect the phone to another computer which doesn't have MPT installed,
there is no charging indicator. So I now think my original statement,
quoted above, could well be incorrect if Motorola's USB driver is handling
the charging.

--
For mail, please use my surname where indicated:
steve@surname.reno.nv.us (Steve Brecher)
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 12:58:18 PM

John Navas wrote:
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <lR1sd.4120956$A6.12736502@telenews.teleline.es> on Fri, 03 Dec
2004
> 18:00:49 GMT, "César González" <cesisa@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >NO PLEASE.
> >
> >The chargers for MPX200 doesn't work with V3. You can damage
seriosly the
> >phone.
>
> If true, that would be incredibly bad engineering.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

That is typical Motorola. They do that so they can make something for a
quarter and sell it at 100x. Software is not user friendly too. Isn't
it much nicer to have common stuff? The cable for a Blackberry is USB
then firewire. Seems so simple. Another concern is that the actual
power requirements do not follow the USB specs. Why not standardize?
Hey MOTO!
December 9, 2004 5:58:19 AM

you are correct.

If you have MPT with the V3 drivers installed, then the PC recognizes your
phone and can regulate charging.
Otherwise it doesn't charge.

The V300, V400, V500, V600 series don't have a USB connector so there's no
way to support that.

--
Steve
"Steve Brecher" <see.signature@end> wrote in message
>I wrote:
>> My Razr V3 charges via the USB cable from my PC. My PC has no
>> battery-charging software.
>
> But it has the drivers installed by Motorola Phone Tools. And when I
> connect the phone to another computer which doesn't have MPT installed,
> there is no charging indicator. So I now think my original statement,
> quoted above, could well be incorrect if Motorola's USB driver is handling
> the charging.
>
> --
> For mail, please use my surname where indicated:
> steve@surname.reno.nv.us (Steve Brecher)

Anonymous
December 26, 2004 10:07:22 PM

I did the same thing, and assumed that it'd work fine charging off of my
laptop. Boy do i feel silly now :(

I have gone away on business and left the install disk at home - can
someone upload the files, or even email me them & i'll host them for
everyone in this position to download.

wifi-forum.com@willsurname.com

replace surname with my surname

cheers all,