V3 Charging

I have left the charger for my v3 at work, thinking that the USB cable & PC
would charge it up for me. However, I have let it go completely flat - and
now the USB wont charge the phone. Any ideas anyone.

P.S. Work is a 200 mile round trip.

FJ.
16 answers Last reply
More about charging

    FJ wrote:
    > I have left the charger for my v3 at work, thinking that the USB cable & PC
    > would charge it up for me. However, I have let it go completely flat - and
    > now the USB wont charge the phone. Any ideas anyone.
    >
    > P.S. Work is a 200 mile round trip.
    >
    > FJ.

    Maby you can try another USB Port, some Port even the ones for devices
    with lower powver needs, disable the output
    bernd

    I have a Zip-Linq cable that I have tried to use and it doesn't work either.
    Not from the USB port, A/C charger or the car charger. What cable are you
    using?

    TScottTX wrote:
    > I have a Zip-Linq cable that I have tried to use and it doesn't work either.
    > Not from the USB port, A/C charger or the car charger. What cable are you
    > using?

    using the default cable comes with Sony DCP1 digital Camera

    using Sonys DCP1 digital Camera default cable

    Bernd

    I'm using an mini-USB cable that came with my MP3 Player and it charges the
    phone from my computer. Maybe it's your cable or port. Try removing the
    battery and putting it back in. Can someone at work mail the charger to you?
    I understand that the chargers for the MPX200 will also work with the v3 and
    are more readily available so maybe you could find one locally.

    > TScottTX wrote:
    >> I have a Zip-Linq cable that I have tried to use and it doesn't work
    >> either. Not from the USB port, A/C charger or the car charger. What
    >> cable are you using?
    >>
    > using the default cable comes with Sony DCP1 digital Camera
    >
    > using Sonys DCP1 digital Camera default cable
    >
    > Bernd

    I messed about with the USB settings & different ports to no avail, and
    every USB cable I own didnt suit the phone connection, hit lucky though
    because one of the guys from work is heading off for the weekend and coming
    through this direction later on. I'll remember not to let it happen in the
    future.
    Thanks for your help.

    FJ.
    "brobin" <nospam@atmyplace.com> wrote in message
    > I'm using an mini-USB cable that came with my MP3 Player and it charges
    > the phone from my computer. Maybe it's your cable or port. Try removing
    > the battery and putting it back in. Can someone at work mail the charger
    > to you? I understand that the chargers for the MPX200 will also work with
    > the v3 and are more readily available so maybe you could find one locally.
    >

    > "Bernd Buske" <bbuske@tiscali.de> wrote in message
    >> TScottTX wrote:
    >>> I have a Zip-Linq cable that I have tried to use and it doesn't work
    >>> either. Not from the USB port, A/C charger or the car charger. What
    >>> cable are you using?
    >>>
    >> using the default cable comes with Sony DCP1 digital Camera
    >>
    >> using Sonys DCP1 digital Camera default cable
    >>
    >> Bernd

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <lR1sd.4120956$A6.12736502@telenews.teleline.es> on Fri, 03 Dec 2004
    18:00:49 GMT, "César González" <cesisa@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >NO PLEASE.
    >
    >The chargers for MPX200 doesn't work with V3. You can damage seriosly the
    >phone.

    If true, that would be incredibly bad engineering.

    I don't know what his claim is based on. Both have an output of 5vdc which
    is standard for USB. Both the MPX200 and the v3 use a mini usb connector and
    I charge my v3 from my PC using the USB cable.

    brobin wrote:
    > I don't know what his claim is based on. Both have an output of 5vdc which
    > is standard for USB. Both the MPX200 and the v3 use a mini usb connector and
    > I charge my v3 from my PC using the USB cable.

    Any idea what other Motorola phones are capable of this (v400, v551?)

    "Bob Horvath" <usenet@horvath.com> wrote in message news:gO2dnQJhIrFREC_cRVn-ow@comcast.com...
    > brobin wrote:
    >> I don't know what his claim is based on. Both have an output of 5vdc which is standard for USB.
    >> Both the MPX200 and the v3 use a mini usb connector and I charge my v3 from my PC using the USB
    >> cable.
    >
    > Any idea what other Motorola phones are capable of this (v400, v551?)

    My workmate's V200 did only last week when he bought a cable from carphone warehouse after his
    charger died.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Although it's a different connector on the phone end, the USB cable for the
    v300,400,500 & 600 will also charge the phone.

    "Bob Horvath" <usenet@horvath.com> wrote in message
    > brobin wrote:
    >> I don't know what his claim is based on. Both have an output of 5vdc
    >> which is standard for USB. Both the MPX200 and the v3 use a mini usb
    >> connector and I charge my v3 from my PC using the USB cable.
    >
    > Any idea what other Motorola phones are capable of this (v400, v551?)
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Not necessarily true.
    Lithium-ion batteries have a small microchip in the battery pack.
    The wall and car chargers also have a compatible chip.
    To simplify, the charger and battery pack communicate during the charging
    process so the current is carefully regulated. Just putting voltage on the
    phone via USB does not mean it's charging. The PC would need s/w loaded and
    running that regulates charging and communicates with the phone battery
    pack.

    Lithium is combustible and if charging isn't regulated properly, it will
    overheat, explode etc.
    Sound ridiculous? Check all the recent news reports on exploding Kyocera
    phones with Verizon customers and elsewhere in Asia with some Nokia
    counterfeit battery packs. All are Lithium-ion based.

    --
    Steve
    > Although it's a different connector on the phone end, the USB cable for
    > the v300,400,500 & 600 will also charge the phone.
    >
    > "Bob Horvath" <usenet@horvath.com> wrote in message
    >> brobin wrote:
    >>> I don't know what his claim is based on. Both have an output of 5vdc
    >>> which is standard for USB. Both the MPX200 and the v3 use a mini usb
    >>> connector and I charge my v3 from my PC using the USB cable.
    >>
    >> Any idea what other Motorola phones are capable of this (v400, v551?)

  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Steve <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote:
    > Not necessarily true.
    > Lithium-ion batteries have a small microchip in the battery pack.
    > The wall and car chargers also have a compatible chip.
    > To simplify, the charger and battery pack communicate during the
    > charging process so the current is carefully regulated. Just putting
    > voltage on the phone via USB does not mean it's charging. The PC
    > would need s/w loaded and running that regulates charging and
    > communicates with the phone battery pack.

    My Razr V3 charges via the USB cable from my PC. My PC has no
    battery-charging software. When I connect the partially-charged phone to
    the PC, the battery indicator starts flashing and the home screen says
    "Charging." Later, after disconnection, the battery level indicator shows
    full charge.

    > Lithium is combustible and if charging isn't regulated properly, it
    > will overheat, explode etc.
    > Sound ridiculous? Check all the recent news reports on exploding
    > Kyocera phones with Verizon customers and elsewhere in Asia with some
    > Nokia counterfeit battery packs. All are Lithium-ion based.

    [Gulp] Well, I'll just hope that Motorola didn't inadvertently omit an
    all-uppercase warning from the user manual. On the other hand, what would
    the warning say -- don't connect your phone to the computer?

    --
    For mail, please use my surname where indicated:
    steve@surname.reno.nv.us (Steve Brecher)

    I wrote:
    > My Razr V3 charges via the USB cable from my PC. My PC has no
    > battery-charging software.

    But it has the drivers installed by Motorola Phone Tools. And when I
    connect the phone to another computer which doesn't have MPT installed,
    there is no charging indicator. So I now think my original statement,
    quoted above, could well be incorrect if Motorola's USB driver is handling
    the charging.

    --
    For mail, please use my surname where indicated:
    steve@surname.reno.nv.us (Steve Brecher)
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    John Navas wrote:
    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <lR1sd.4120956$A6.12736502@telenews.teleline.es> on Fri, 03 Dec
    2004
    > 18:00:49 GMT, "César González" <cesisa@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >NO PLEASE.
    > >
    > >The chargers for MPX200 doesn't work with V3. You can damage
    seriosly the
    > >phone.
    >
    > If true, that would be incredibly bad engineering.

    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>

    That is typical Motorola. They do that so they can make something for a
    quarter and sell it at 100x. Software is not user friendly too. Isn't
    it much nicer to have common stuff? The cable for a Blackberry is USB
    then firewire. Seems so simple. Another concern is that the actual
    power requirements do not follow the USB specs. Why not standardize?
    Hey MOTO!
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    you are correct.

    If you have MPT with the V3 drivers installed, then the PC recognizes your
    phone and can regulate charging.
    Otherwise it doesn't charge.

    The V300, V400, V500, V600 series don't have a USB connector so there's no
    way to support that.

    --
    Steve
    "Steve Brecher" <see.signature@end> wrote in message
    >I wrote:
    >> My Razr V3 charges via the USB cable from my PC. My PC has no
    >> battery-charging software.
    >
    > But it has the drivers installed by Motorola Phone Tools. And when I
    > connect the phone to another computer which doesn't have MPT installed,
    > there is no charging indicator. So I now think my original statement,
    > quoted above, could well be incorrect if Motorola's USB driver is handling
    > the charging.
    >
    > --
    > For mail, please use my surname where indicated:
    > steve@surname.reno.nv.us (Steve Brecher)

  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    I did the same thing, and assumed that it'd work fine charging off of my
    laptop. Boy do i feel silly now :(

    I have gone away on business and left the install disk at home - can
    someone upload the files, or even email me them & i'll host them for
    everyone in this position to download.

    wifi-forum.com@willsurname.com

    replace surname with my surname

    cheers all,