Should I Buy a New Router (for Tomato)

sparda1

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Hi all, I am wondering if I should buy a new router since my WRT54GS v6. does not support Tomato, it does support DD-WRT though, but most places that I have read recommend Tomato. I am primarily interested in the WiFi boosting, Bandwidth Monitoring and Bandwidth Allocation.

My main questions are (so far):

1. Is it worth buying a new relatively cheap router (around $60) that will support Tomato?
2. Do any newer (relatively cheap) routers that have any of these features built-in?

I also just switched my ISP and they are sending me a new modem, it's a Technicolor DCM476 DOCSIS 3. Would my WRT54GS v6 be fine with the new modem if I don 't get a new router?

Let me know if you need any other info, thanks :)

Solution
Run DD-wrt on it. I have it running on everything. Don't buy a router until .ac gigabit is available at a good price, that's going to be the ticket. There's nothing wrong with that wrt54 for most uses.

njxc500

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Run DD-wrt on it. I have it running on everything. Don't buy a router until .ac gigabit is available at a good price, that's going to be the ticket. There's nothing wrong with that wrt54 for most uses.

Solution