Viper

Has anyone found a way to make this sim run with a modern computer using
windows xp? like f18?

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:45:24 -0700, Viper <drtee@cox.net> wrote:

>Has anyone found a way to make this sim run with a modern computer using
>windows xp? like f18?

What vieo card? It won't run in D3D on a Radeon 9x series card. Have
to run it in software mode unless you get a glide emulator. It runs
fine in XP otherwise.

It worked for me the first time I tried it, though the graphics are so poor
compared to sims of the last couple of years, I had no interest in playing
it. I don't believe i did anything special, it just worked. Good luck

DR
"Viper" <drtee@cox.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone found a way to make this sim run with a modern computer using
> windows xp? like f18?

canuck

Distinguished
May 27, 2001

Works fine on my XP Home system - just right click on the exe file and tell
XP to run it in Win85 mode

"J. Arsole" <arsole@here.invalid> wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:45:24 -0700, Viper <drtee@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone found a way to make this sim run with a modern computer using
>>windows xp? like f18?
>
> What vieo card? It won't run in D3D on a Radeon 9x series card. Have
> to run it in software mode unless you get a glide emulator. It runs
> fine in XP otherwise.

canuck

Distinguished
May 27, 2001

Whoops - that should read WIn95 - in 85 I was still running a Commodore LOL!
Whatever happened to them?

"Canuck" <someone@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Works fine on my XP Home system - just right click on the exe file and
> tell XP to run it in Win85 mode
>
> "J. Arsole" <arsole@here.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:45:24 -0700, Viper <drtee@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone found a way to make this sim run with a modern computer using
>>>windows xp? like f18?
>>
>> What vieo card? It won't run in D3D on a Radeon 9x series card. Have
>> to run it in software mode unless you get a glide emulator. It runs
>> fine in XP otherwise.

Have you tried running it on XP? I did, and don't recall having any
problem. However, the intimdating manual kept me from getting too far
into the game before I decided to try another sim....which also was far
too intimidating to get into. About 3 some odd years ago, I picked up
the newer game, "F-18" and had all sort of compatibility problems
requiring a patch (though the final results look better than F-15).

An interesting story about F15. I was on an airplane going to Hawaii for
business a couple years ago. I was talking with this young guy sitting next
to me. Turned out he was an honest to goodness F15 pilot on his way to
propose to his sweetheart. I had to ask him EVERYTHING I could possibly
think of . I even asked if he played Janes F15 and he said "everyone plays
that" and I asked if it was realistic and he said it was pretty close.

Seeing that I was pretty good at the sim in its heyday I wonder how I would
have done in real life? I remember knocking out a real F15 pilot online one
night. After that one shootdown though he ended up blasting me out of the
air each and every time. In fact he must have shot me down at least 15 times
before I said "uncle." Man, I couldn't do any of my tricks on him after he
figured out my tactics.

Ah, those were the days.

"FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried running it on XP? I did, and don't recall having any
> problem. However, the intimdating manual kept me from getting too far
> into the game before I decided to try another sim....which also was far
> too intimidating to get into. About 3 some odd years ago, I picked up
> the newer game, "F-18" and had all sort of compatibility problems
> requiring a patch (though the final results look better than F-15).

"Have you tried running it on XP? I did, and don't recall having any
problem. "

Just tried it on my XP laptop--works fine after a preliminary graphics
scramble.

"However, the intimdating manual kept me from getting too far
into the game before I decided to try another sim."

The original release had a "cadet/casual" mode manual--more a
pamphlet--very good for a quick overview and boot'n'shoot action.
There's also a lot of training missions.

canuck

Distinguished
May 27, 2001

Yeah and I'm a genuine F117 pilot. A little known fact that the CAF have a
clandestine supply locked away at Cold Lake. Can't say much more. Nod nod
nudge wink.