Sign in with
Your question

Setting up Guest Access on my router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 3, 2012 2:34:32 PM

I have a Cisco RV120W Wireless-N VPN Firewall that provides wireless access to my small business employees. How do I provide customers and guests to the building with wireless access to the internet, while restricting their access to my network?
a c 87 F Wireless
October 3, 2012 2:55:29 PM

You can put in firewall rules but there is a option to not allow it to route between the vlans.

You will really want to look at features to limit the time of day this is allows to be used as well as place bandwidth limits on it so that you get priority over your guest.
October 3, 2012 5:36:54 PM

Thanks, those are good tips. However, it still doesn't tell me how to set up the wireless network. I've done some reading of the manual and it looks like I need to setup a second VLAN. I'm not sure how to assign a generic or default username and password. Finally, how do I limit access to just the internet?

Oh no, new problem now. I suddenly have no internet access even though I'm connected and the signal strength is excellent.
a c 87 F Wireless
October 3, 2012 6:15:06 PM

There are small difference between these small cisco routers so I forget exactly what each supports.

Pretty much you create a SSID assign to to a new vlan, define all the DHCP stuff and that should give you a network. I think this router has a check box that says do not allow the vlans to route to each other. This means the vlans can only talk to wan port (internet). If this model does not have that you need to create a firewall rule that says to deny traffic for the subnets used by your enterprise network.

The userid and password I am not sure. Normally you would need a external radius server to do that function. Mostly you are stuck just using the WPA passwords to secure it. Of course you use different one for the different ssid.

You should be able to use the diagnostic screens to see if the router itself can ping stuff in the internet. If the router can't ping either then you have a ISP issue
!