pepemach1

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
Just a basic question that nobody seems to agree on (at least, the ones I spoke with ) I'm getting the Soyo Ultra Dragon KT-4.

What I want to know is, is it any use to put the DVD player, CD-RW and HDD each on their own individual channel?

Some tell me I won't gain anything, some say it's better when it's time to burn some CD's if the CD-RW is alone. If I don't gain anything, I won't bother putting 3 round cables, I'll just get one with 3 connectors on it and one with 2.

Thanks for taking time to read this.

Pepe

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well does that dragon come with onboard raid?
If so then you can make the DVD the primary master, the cd-rw then secondary master and boot off the HDD on the first IDE RAID channel as a standard IDE drive.

If not, then probably the best setup is to have the HDD as primary master, then the dvd & cd-rw as master/slave on the secondary channel.

<b>Cogposto tomsa, ergo sum - <i>Descartes</i>
</b>Translation:<b> I post at Toms Hardware, Therefor I am. :smile: </b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
P.S. IDE cables with 3 drive connectors <b>DON'T EXIST</b>

the IDE interface only allows 2 drives, master & slave, per channel.

<b>Cogposto tomsa, ergo sum - <i>Descartes</i>
</b>Translation:<b> I post at Toms Hardware, Therefor I am. :smile: </b>

pepemach1

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
Thank you for your reply,

Yes the Soyo has 2 regular IDE and 2 RAID on top of that.

As far as the cables go, I'm sorry, I meant 3 connectors total ( 1 for the board, 2 for the drives).

Thanks/ for answering, it's appreciated

Pépé

I'd set my HDDs on the RAID (with or without RAID enabled) interfaces, set the DVD-ROM as Master 1, and the CD-RW as Master 2.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink: