WLAN Bridging.

unlimited1991

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Good evening to all tom's hardware users.

I got 3 ADSL wireless routers and 1 DSL wireless router.

1st Linksys WAG54GP2 v2 - Annex A ADSL
2nd Linksys WAG54G v1.2 (the older model, different look than 1st silver one. This is ?violet/purple? with black) ADSL
3rd Linksys WRT54G v7 DSL (looks like 2nd)
4th Pentagram Cerberus P 6331-6 ADSL

What I would like to make ?

1st device (main router, must be ADSL) will be connected to the phone line. Than 2nd device (will call it as a bridge) will get connection via WLAN from main router, and will retransmit it via WLAN/LAN (one of them is needed only). Can't connect main router with bridge by cable (I know there is technical possibility with DSL router, but I need this connection wireless).

Is there possibility to achieve my goal by routers I already got and with original/3rd party firmware ? I am aware none of them got WDS.

Thanks for your help, best regards.

P.S.
Or just could I ask for example of the cheap machine to make like on scheme :
computers <all kinds of connections< Main Router >>>wireless connection >>>Bridge Router>>>wireless connection by 500metres>>> computer with strong wlan card and anthena. Arrows shows from where internet I would like to ''flow''. So Bridge Router needs to get ''internet'' wirelessly and host it (probadly with non original stronger anthena) on 500 metres straight (no obstacles on the way). So also need nice output power on anthena connector.

Because I kept googling and I just realised I won't make it with it what i got.

You key issue is to find one of your routers that supports client mode. I suspect most of them do. So you take that router and make it your router 2. You then attach it via the LAN port to another of your routers lan ports... ie back to back. You would then use that router as a AP, need to make sure you disable the DHCP on this third router.

500m is a huge distance for wireless. You will need to use directional antenna and use outdoor rated electronic that is directly attached to the antenna. You need to put this as high up as possible. When you are going that distance a large part of the signal will be absorbed by the ground if you place it too low.

Low cost outdoor equipment is made by ubiquiti, their bullet line works well.

unlimited1991

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
As far as I googled (the question is how well) none of them can be bridge/client mode.
DD-WRT wrote not possible at all 3 linksys, and on original firmware I didn't find such as options.

unlimited1991

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Looked for it once again and found Wireless Distribution System (WDS) and 4 lines of
"Peer WDS MAC Address" and enable/disable.
WDS can capture wireless signal or it is letting other router to connect to it by wifi ?
If I could ask for scheme like:
RouterNumberXmode >>connection type>> RouterNumberXmode>>connection type>> etc.

In general WDS means the device can run in a couple of modes.

It can run in simple bridge mode where it connects to a remote router via wireless and just send the signal out the ethernet port.
The other option is it can run in repeater mode. What it does is use its radio to accept wireless signal from end PC devices and at the same time use wireless to send the data to the main router.

unlimited1991

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
So I can just add directional antenna to wrt54g, connect it via LAN-LAN with Cerberus, Cerberus will operate in simple bridge mode, which connects with ANY of used other ADSL router connected to internet WAN >?

Yes in general I think that is correct.

But if I go back to the start you will not get 500m with direction antenna on just one end you will need direction antenna on both. Then you must have clear line of site between the antenna to get it to work. In most cases this must be outdoor. At long distance even fog will degrade the signal so you do not even want to think about trying to pass the signal though the side of a building.

unlimited1991

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Nope there is optical almost clear way. I can see the other building window, on which will be 2nd antenna is visible in 80% (20% taken by obstacle on the way).
Antenna which I got in mind is enough for 0,8km connection, so should do on 500m.
Will try in 2 days that idea, but I think WDS connects only with other WDS devices ;x
But gonna check idea.

EDIT: checked, WDS need both devices to have it. Only WISP and AP Client can gather wireless signal from like any router wifi