RAZR interconnect issue

Last response: in Brands
December 6, 2004 5:09:40 PM

So I connect my new RAZR to my PC with hope of being able to transfer all
200 names / addresses from Outlook into the handset. I use a existing USB
cable, since it fits. The PC recognizes a USB device has been attached but,
unlike some USB devices, does not / cannot find drivers. I'll d/l MPT
tonight to see if that will work. Now the questions:

1) Does MPT have the correct drivers or do I have to go somewhere else to
get 'em?
2) Can I safely use any USB cable, as long as the connectors fit?
3) Nokia (and most other handset providers) offer free software to do data
transfers / back up, etc. Why does Motorola charge?

Thanks,
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 5:09:41 PM

Joe Fabeitz <jf@hotmail.com> wrote:
> So I connect my new RAZR to my PC with hope of being able to transfer
> all 200 names / addresses from Outlook into the handset. I use a
> existing USB cable, since it fits. The PC recognizes a USB device
> has been attached but, unlike some USB devices, does not / cannot
> find drivers. I'll d/l MPT tonight to see if that will work. Now
> the questions:
>
> 1) Does MPT have the correct drivers or do I have to go somewhere
> else to get 'em?

MPT was all I needed.

> 2) Can I safely use any USB cable, as long as the connectors fit?

I use a cable I bought at Radio Shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG...

> 3) Nokia (and most other handset providers) offer free software to do
> data transfers / back up, etc. Why does Motorola charge?

Sorry, I charge for answers to financial questions.

--
For mail, please use my surname where indicated:
steve@surname.reno.nv.us (Steve Brecher)

You could also use a Mac - iSync (free) works like a charm and allows you to
sync multiple devices (Palm, iPod, phones) with your computer.

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:09:40 -0500, Joe Fabeitz wrote
(in article <K62td.116169$IQ.16254@bignews6.bellsouth.net>):

> So I connect my new RAZR to my PC with hope of being able to transfer all
> 200 names / addresses from Outlook into the handset. I use a existing USB
> cable, since it fits. The PC recognizes a USB device has been attached but,
> unlike some USB devices, does not / cannot find drivers. I'll d/l MPT
> tonight to see if that will work. Now the questions:
>
> 1) Does MPT have the correct drivers or do I have to go somewhere else to
> get 'em?
> 2) Can I safely use any USB cable, as long as the connectors fit?
> 3) Nokia (and most other handset providers) offer free software to do data
> transfers / back up, etc. Why does Motorola charge?
>
> Thanks,

December 7, 2004 9:22:15 AM

Now why would anyone use a Mac in a world where we now have PC's? Jesus
Bunny get a clue!!
"bunny" <bunny@bunny.net> wrote in message
> You could also use a Mac - iSync (free) works like a charm and allows you
> sync multiple devices (Palm, iPod, phones) with your computer.
>

> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:09:40 -0500, Joe Fabeitz wrote
> (in article <K62td.116169$IQ.16254@bignews6.bellsouth.net>):
>
>> So I connect my new RAZR to my PC with hope of being able to transfer all
>> 200 names / addresses from Outlook into the handset. I use a existing
>> USB
>> cable, since it fits. The PC recognizes a USB device has been attached
>> but,
>> unlike some USB devices, does not / cannot find drivers. I'll d/l MPT
>> tonight to see if that will work. Now the questions:
>>
>> 1) Does MPT have the correct drivers or do I have to go somewhere else to
>> get 'em?
>> 2) Can I safely use any USB cable, as long as the connectors fit?
>> 3) Nokia (and most other handset providers) offer free software to do
>> data
>> transfers / back up, etc. Why does Motorola charge?
>>
>> Thanks,

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 6:21:24 PM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <r_btd.724146$8_6.652102@attbi_s04> on Tue, 07 Dec 2004 06:22:15 GMT, "John
Mullaney" <john@minutemancomm.com> wrote:

>Now why would anyone use a Mac in a world where we now have PC's? Jesus
>Bunny get a clue!!

Please troll someplace else. [Follow-up set to comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy]

December 8, 2004 3:02:05 AM

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:09:40 -0500, "Joe Fabeitz" <jf@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>1) Does MPT have the correct drivers or do I have to go somewhere else to
>get 'em?

Yes, MPT will install the correct drivers.

>2) Can I safely use any USB cable, as long as the connectors fit?

Yes. I actually use the cable for my Canon digital camera to connect
my V3 to this PC as the "correct" cable is with my laptop. The cable
provided by Sony to connect one of their portable MiniDisk players to
a PC also works fine.

>3) Nokia (and most other handset providers) offer free software to do data
>transfers / back up, etc. Why does Motorola charge?

You'll have to ask Motorola that one.

Al
--
[This space intentionally left blank]