m125 or m500 for OBD-II Scanner Duties

May 22, 2004 12:32:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

I'm already using a Palm m130 for OBD-II Scanner duties in our Ka - I use
it's real time display. Now the m130's screen is excellent in dim lighting,
or indeed when dark - it glows whereas the m515's backlight shines and
produces a huge reflection on the windscreen. But unfortunately when it's
bright outside, the m130's screen is just a little bit too difficult to
read...

Something monochrome will work very well for bright light conditions, and I
want the Palm universal connector for compatibility with existing leads.
This gives me the m125 or m500.

I like the replaceable batteries of the m125, since swapping AAAs if no
problem, although if the m500 recharges like the m130 / m515 it'll charge up
very quickly, which is handy. I like the m125's toughened case design, but
I love the m500's form factor.

I've played with both the m125 and m500 in the past, but never side by
side - are there any other differences between the two other than screen
size, battery, and form factor? Anything significant?

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

"DervMan" <dervman@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've played with both the m125 and m500 in the past, but never side by
>side - are there any other differences between the two other than screen
>size, battery, and form factor? Anything significant?

The m125 is subject to backup capacitor failure, a common complaint for the m1xx
series. One of my 2 m125s (and my m100 and my m105...) have failed already. It
can be repaired with a Radio Shack part, but is a tight repair, and if you're
not used to small work you may not want to attempt it. Alternately since you
only need to replace the AAAs every few weeks to a month, you can simply let the
Palm Desktop restore the backup after the battery change/forced hard reset.
Otherwise the m125 is basically a clone of the m500 as far as specs are
concerned.
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 2:14:06 PM

"Aaron Lake" <unlisted@unlisted.com> wrote in message
> "DervMan" <dervman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I've played with both the m125 and m500 in the past, but never side by
> >side - are there any other differences between the two other than screen
> >size, battery, and form factor? Anything significant?
>
> The m125 is subject to backup capacitor failure, a common complaint for
the m1xx
> series. One of my 2 m125s (and my m100 and my m105...) have failed
already. It
> can be repaired with a Radio Shack part, but is a tight repair, and if
you're
> not used to small work you may not want to attempt it. Alternately since
you
> only need to replace the AAAs every few weeks to a month, you can simply
let the
> Palm Desktop restore the backup after the battery change/forced hard
reset.
> Otherwise the m125 is basically a clone of the m500 as far as specs are
> concerned.

On the face of it, this isn't too much of a problem since I'll be using the
m125 as an OBD-II Scanner tool only, but then that said if the m500 won't
have the problem...

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com