Sign in with
Your question

Simple Raid Question

Last response: in Storage
October 25, 2002 6:33:01 AM

Could somebody explain to me, in the simplest terms possible, the differances in the RAID types. I'm looking into raid options, as im currently running 3 80 gig western digital 8 meg'rs in my system. Just a brief explanation would work, don't want to get to technical. Thanks.

More about : simple raid question

October 25, 2002 6:58:45 AM

RAID in simple words: Read the FAQ :smile:

<i><b>Artificial intelligence will never be a match for natural stupidity</b></i>
October 25, 2002 11:15:13 AM

One thing about the HDD FAQ:
Quote:
RAID 1 = mirroring (Excellent for redundency, but does nothing for speed. Requires at least 2 drives)

RAID1 can improve read speeds significantly, but does nothing for write speed. And you'll definitely want to keep the two HDs in separate IDE channels. And "redundancy" spells reliability, at the cost of capacity. Two 80GB drives in RAID1 would only give you 80GB, with a built-in backup (both drives hold the same data).

If you haven't read e.g THG <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/02q3/020830/index...." target="_new">IDE Training Course, Part 3: Using RAID</A>, please do so.

___
<font color=green><i>Feet are frozen, hair's on fire, on the average, everything's fine.</i></font color=green>
Related resources
October 25, 2002 11:25:09 AM

Yes, thats true. I wonder why I havent spotted that before. However, it depends on the controller. Some controllers does give any read improvements in RAID1.
Im not sure how smart the relatively cheap embedded RAID controllers in motherboards are.

<i><b>Artificial intelligence will never be a match for natural stupidity</b></i>
October 25, 2002 11:46:36 AM

I suppose that people who give RTFM to other people aren't exactly the types who read manuals/FAQs themselves. At least I'm quite often guilty of that. :lol: 

___
<font color=green><i>Feet are frozen, hair's on fire, on the average, everything's fine.</i></font color=green><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Napoleon on 10/25/02 02:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!