Newbie V551 Bluetooth, photo questions

I don't know anything about bluetooth except that it can connect
devices. According to the Cingular rep, the only way to get photos off
the phone is to email them at 25 cents each. There has to be a way to
get them off the phone through bluetooth. I guess I need some kind of
card for my computer though since I don't think it has bluetooth.

Any pointers for getting my computer and this phone to talk is greatly
appreciated. In fact, I want to sync this up with outlook or something
else. I see there is a bluetooth option for SYNC so this has to be
possible.
13 answers Last reply
More about newbie v551 bluetooth photo questions

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <1lfbr05e3uhclqgb3lh6kfoghnue0bkk87@4ax.com> on Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:33:50
    -0500, dgk <sonicechoes-spamless@hot-nospamp-mail.com> wrote:

    >I don't know anything about bluetooth except that it can connect
    >devices. According to the Cingular rep, the only way to get photos off
    >the phone is to email them at 25 cents each. There has to be a way to
    >get them off the phone through bluetooth. I guess I need some kind of
    >card for my computer though since I don't think it has bluetooth.
    >
    >Any pointers for getting my computer and this phone to talk is greatly
    >appreciated. In fact, I want to sync this up with outlook or something
    >else. I see there is a bluetooth option for SYNC so this has to be
    >possible.

    All you need is:
    1. Bluetooth to USB dongle for your computer.
    2. Motorola Mobile PhoneTools.

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:22:38 GMT, John Navas
    <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

    >[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    >In <1lfbr05e3uhclqgb3lh6kfoghnue0bkk87@4ax.com> on Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:33:50
    >-0500, dgk <sonicechoes-spamless@hot-nospamp-mail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I don't know anything about bluetooth except that it can connect
    >>devices. According to the Cingular rep, the only way to get photos off
    >>the phone is to email them at 25 cents each. There has to be a way to
    >>get them off the phone through bluetooth. I guess I need some kind of
    >>card for my computer though since I don't think it has bluetooth.
    >>
    >>Any pointers for getting my computer and this phone to talk is greatly
    >>appreciated. In fact, I want to sync this up with outlook or something
    >>else. I see there is a bluetooth option for SYNC so this has to be
    >>possible.
    >
    >All you need is:
    >1. Bluetooth to USB dongle for your computer.
    >2. Motorola Mobile PhoneTools.

    Ah, I see. $80 from Motorola. I think the Multimedia Browser looks
    like the guy to use for the photos. Still, a bit steep.

    Is it ok to buy one from one of the third party sites? I can get a
    bluetooth dongle at a PC Fair or any store I would think. Can I just
    get a USB cable for the Motorola? Seems a shame since it has Bluetooth
    and Edge. I haven't figured out what Edge is for yet but everyone
    seems to really like it.

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <aqlbr0998r85nqa992ff65roj82qr1r92g@4ax.com> on Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:18:27

    $18 for USB cable and PhoneTools software at www.shopoem.com
    Bluetooth-USB dongles are inexpensive.

    >I haven't figured out what Edge is for yet but everyone
    >seems to really like it.

    EDGE is high-speed data over cellular, for things like web browsing, email,
    etc.

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:34:28 GMT, John Navas
    <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

    >[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    >In <aqlbr0998r85nqa992ff65roj82qr1r92g@4ax.com> on Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:18:27
    >-0500, dgk <sonicechoes-spamless@hot-nospamp-mail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:22:38 GMT, John Navas
    >><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >
    >>>All you need is:
    >>>1. Bluetooth to USB dongle for your computer.
    >>>2. Motorola Mobile PhoneTools.
    >>
    >>Ah, I see. $80 from Motorola. I think the Multimedia Browser looks
    >>like the guy to use for the photos. Still, a bit steep.
    >>
    >>Is it ok to buy one from one of the third party sites? I can get a
    >>bluetooth dongle at a PC Fair or any store I would think. Can I just
    >>get a USB cable for the Motorola? Seems a shame since it has Bluetooth
    >>and Edge.
    >
    >$18 for USB cable and PhoneTools software at www.shopoem.com
    >Bluetooth-USB dongles are inexpensive.
    >
    >>I haven't figured out what Edge is for yet but everyone
    >>seems to really like it.
    >
    >EDGE is high-speed data over cellular, for things like web browsing, email,
    >etc.

    Which phone is the 551 compatible with, since they don't seem to list
    it? The 98571 kit, for the 500 among others, is $18 but sold out. BVRP
    also has software. Same thing?

    Oh, while on the software subject. I was looking for some free games.
    I don't mind paying a bit but free is better. Maybe. Is it safe to
    give the phone number and then they download it into the phone?

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <tjpbr0hbrf4blgp704hcr3qplu9utmicmg@4ax.com> on Tue, 07 Dec 2004 12:32:35
    -0500, dgk <sonicechoes-spamless@hot-nospamp-mail.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:34:28 GMT, John Navas
    ><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

    >>EDGE is high-speed data over cellular, for things like web browsing, email,
    >>etc.
    >
    >Which phone is the 551 compatible with, since they don't seem to list
    >it? The 98571 kit, for the 500 among others, is $18 but sold out.

    The V551 is part of the V5xx series, so I'm pretty sure it's compatible with
    the V500 and V525.

    >BVRP
    >also has software. Same thing?

    Same thing.

    >Oh, while on the software subject. I was looking for some free games.
    >I don't mind paying a bit but free is better. Maybe. Is it safe to
    >give the phone number and then they download it into the phone?

    I personally don't think that's safe. Download the game to the phone over
    WAP, or download it to a PC and then transfer to the phone.

    you really don't even need MPT or BVRP software if you have Bluetooth.

    Typically most Bluetooth PC's and add on dongles install the Bluetooth OBEX
    file transfer s/w.
    Put your phone in FIND ME mode and have your PC search for devices at same
    time (double click the Bluetooth OBEX icon).
    Once they find each other, enter a pin (make up any four digits), and pair
    the PC and phone.
    Then you can move photo's or ringtones or video clips from PC to phone and
    vice versa.

    No cable or other s/w needed. Works great on my Dell.

    --
    Steve

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:12:40 GMT, "Steve" <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net>
    wrote:

    >you really don't even need MPT or BVRP software if you have Bluetooth.
    >
    >Typically most Bluetooth PC's and add on dongles install the Bluetooth OBEX
    >file transfer s/w.
    >Put your phone in FIND ME mode and have your PC search for devices at same
    >time (double click the Bluetooth OBEX icon).
    >Once they find each other, enter a pin (make up any four digits), and pair
    >the PC and phone.
    >Then you can move photo's or ringtones or video clips from PC to phone and
    >vice versa.
    >
    >No cable or other s/w needed. Works great on my Dell.

    Well worth a shot. Except that my PC doesn't have bluetooth. A USB
    adapter seems to be around $40. I think I'll check out the PC Fair
    this weekend and see what they have to offer. It's a small one. There
    is a bigger one the weekend after that definitely should have
    something.

    In article <1lfbr05e3uhclqgb3lh6kfoghnue0bkk87@4ax.com>, sonicechoes-
    spamless@hot-nospamp-mail.com says...

    A few links for games and other and stuff.

    > www.motopage.uk.tt

    www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=379662

    egroupware.tomlasswell.info/wiki/index.php?page=home

    datacord.parkline.ru/games.php?id=1

    www.thefreesite.com/Mobile_Phone_Freebies

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:13:26 -0500, kirk <joipiu@nop.com> wrote:

    >In article <1lfbr05e3uhclqgb3lh6kfoghnue0bkk87@4ax.com>, sonicechoes-
    >spamless@hot-nospamp-mail.com says...
    >>
    >A few links for games and other and stuff.
    >

    >> www.motopage.uk.tt
    >
    > www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=379662
    >
    > egroupware.tomlasswell.info/wiki/index.php?page=home
    >
    > datacord.parkline.ru/games.php?id=1
    >
    > www.thefreesite.com/Mobile_Phone_Freebies

    Thanks, I'm looking at them. I still need to figure out how to get the
    stuff into the phone. I seem to have a choice of bluetooth, usb cable,
    or direct download. My preference is the usb cable if I understand it
    all correctly. I'll keep working on it.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Hello, looking for a little help. I downloaded Mobile Phone Tools 2.0
    and bought a usb cable for my v551. When the drivers were nstalled
    there were no drivers for 551. There were numerous other drivers. By
    accident I clicked "next" and the t710 or something along that lines
    drivers got installed. The program came up and then evertyhing seemed
    to work. However I cannot see the pictures in the menus or on the side
    bar. Meaning there is no option to look at them. My question is there
    specific drivers for this phone and if so where can I get them? Or will
    what is the closet driver set to this phone so I can install that. Any
    info would help me. Thanks alot

    --
    Gunnar
    http://cellphoneforums.net

    In article <Gunnar.1h07ht@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
    Gunnar.1h07ht@nospam.cellphoneforums.net says...

    > Hello, looking for a little help. I downloaded Mobile Phone Tools 2.0
    > and bought a usb cable for my v551. When the drivers were nstalled
    > there were no drivers for 551. There were numerous other drivers. By
    > accident I clicked "next" and the t710 or something along that lines
    > drivers got installed. The program came up and then evertyhing seemed
    > to work. However I cannot see the pictures in the menus or on the side
    > bar. Meaning there is no option to look at them. My question is there
    > specific drivers for this phone and if so where can I get them? Or will
    > what is the closet driver set to this phone so I can install that. Any
    > info would help me. Thanks alot
    >

    > --
    > Gunnar
    > http://cellphoneforums.net

    Go to the howardsforums link. It will explain everything you want to
    know step by step.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Try Mobiledit. Use this program with a Bluetooth hub of some sort.
    http://www.mobiledit.com

    I have a logitech BT keyboard and it serves my phone well.

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:33:50 -0500, dgk
    <sonicechoes-spamless@hot-nospamp-mail.com> wrote:

    >I don't know anything about bluetooth except that it can connect
    >devices. According to the Cingular rep, the only way to get photos off
    >the phone is to email them at 25 cents each. There has to be a way to
    >get them off the phone through bluetooth. I guess I need some kind of
    >card for my computer though since I don't think it has bluetooth.
    >
    >Any pointers for getting my computer and this phone to talk is greatly
    >appreciated. In fact, I want to sync this up with outlook or something
    >else. I see there is a bluetooth option for SYNC so this has to be
    >possible.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Right, Mobiledit is a good option, it will find your phone unless you
    really have an exotic one, it supports roughly 200 models and as for
    picture download it works fine, besides many other functions.

    --
    Sheeni

Motorola Phones Photo Bluetooth