flight sim is dead !!!

there is almost no more computer based games which is based on flight
sim !! if you really like flight sims. can anyone even remember whens
the last good one which came out ?

Cowly the Game player
Games I support

http://www.gamestotal.com
http://www.spacefederation.net
http://uc.gamestotal.com
http://aw.gamestotal.com
http://gc.gamestotal.com
http://mmorpg.gamestotal.com
http://3700ad.gamestotal.com
http://ballmonster.gamestotal.com
http://free_mmorpg.gamestotal.com
http://strategy_games.gamestotal.com
http://free_strategy_games.gamestotal.com

step_y@yahoo.com wrote:
> there is almost no more computer based games which is based on flight
> sim !!

There are some - just fewer of them since they are much more
sophisticated and require more time and attention. It's not like the
old days when sims were so simple that you could cycle between several
of them at a tim.

> if you really like flight sims. can anyone even remember whens
> the last good one which came out ?

My computer is getting old so I haven't been able to buy anything more
system challenging than Jane's Hornet & CFS2.

But CFS3, FS-ACOF, Lock-On, IL-2, and PF are available. How many of
these have you tried?

Pacific fighters only a few months ago...

<step_y@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> there is almost no more computer based games which is based on flight
> sim !! if you really like flight sims. can anyone even remember whens
> the last good one which came out ?
>

> Cowly the Game player
> Games I support
>
> http://www.gamestotal.com
> http://www.spacefederation.net
> http://uc.gamestotal.com
> http://aw.gamestotal.com
> http://gc.gamestotal.com
> http://mmorpg.gamestotal.com
> http://3700ad.gamestotal.com
> http://ballmonster.gamestotal.com
> http://free_mmorpg.gamestotal.com
> http://strategy_games.gamestotal.com
> http://free_strategy_games.gamestotal.com

Yeah, Lomac 1.1 what yesterday?

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:06:22 GMT, "Mitch_A" <naman@nospam.pacbell.net>
wrote:

>Yeah, Lomac 1.1 what yesterday?

Come on, that can hardly be classified a new flight sim. It's just a
glorified patch that you have to pay $35.00 for. Blech!

Compared to other, a lot more popular games, i guess it's the only way to go
if you wanna see flightsims in the future.

--
Lange,
666th Black Brigade,

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:22:17 GMT, "Lange" <lange@arodnap(<-- reverse
this).be> wrote:

>Compared to other, a lot more popular games, i guess it's the only way to go
>if you wanna see flightsims in the future.

Nope, there are other projects in the pipeline that are more than a
patch for $35.00. I'll just be patient and wait. I didn't like LOMAC
much anyway. Too sterile.

What flight-sims need is a new visual interface akin to the VR we were
"previewed" in the early 1990's. Flight enthusiasts know that there's
more to the visual world than the forward view. Hat switches and
Track-IR may have narrowed the gap, but you're still being reminded
that your world exists within the four corners of a monitor. The more
detail that programmers can flesh out of a screen, the more painfully
obvious that that screen can't convincingly fit an entire 3-d world.
We can't blame software publishers for the fact that hardware doesn't
do their stuff justice.

Mitch_A wrote:
> Yeah, Lomac 1.1 what yesterday?

Ah ! That "sim" does not even feature torp... err, nevermind.

FatKat wrote:
> (...)
> We can't blame software publishers for the fact that hardware doesn't
> do their stuff justice.

Good point! Where is my $200 VR helmet? As the price of the ubiquitous
small LCD panels (cameras, gameboy...) continues to fall, one would
think that an affordable VR system should have been available by now.
Especially given the huge potential market of FPS gamers.

On the other hand, my wife laughed at me the first time she saw me bank
on my chair while managing fast turns in GPL (she was less amused when
she looked at the sticker on the MSFF wheel box at the time <G>). And I
cannot play Half-Life because I get motion sickness after a couple of
minutes. So, maybe real life and VR would not mix that well for me.
Hey, I just saved 200 (virtual) dollars !

Regards,
Mr. Sylvestre

step_y@yahoo.com wrote in message news:<1112942826.794256.197060@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>...
> there is almost no more computer based games which is based on flight
> sim !! if you really like flight sims. can anyone even remember whens
> the last good one which came out ?

DI's Tornado - 1993
superb manual
Feature packed all (Mission planner, dynamic campaign)
in less than 8 Megs.
Dated graphics by now, but many features and gameplay
unmatched.

Frankie
http://www.stamford.edu.my/socsscm/tree/tornado.html

Mr. Sylvestre wrote:
mix that well for me.
> Hey, I just saved 200 (virtual) dollars !
>
> Regards,
> Mr. Sylvestre

If you're married, all savings are in virtual dollars.

In article <fb865cf8.0504111849.4b38ea22@posting.google.com>,
frankiekam <frankie@stamford.edu.my> wrote:
>step_y@yahoo.com wrote in message
>> can anyone even remember whens the last good one which came out ?
> DI's Tornado - 1993

Tornado was nice indeed! The bias was in air-to-ground, and that
worked very well. If i remember correctly, the only real shortcomings
i could think at the time were that the intelligence data was
always accurate, and ground vehicles never moved. The other sim i
played at the time was Falcon 3.0, obviously. There were also some
very cool ideas in Tornado that i'd never heard of before, like
tossing (lofting) bombs and planting mines from those nasty
anti-runway crates. I could also steer my LGBs through windows from
20 angels, except if the weather was bad, or some interceptors bugged
me or some SAMs were having an eye on me. Those LGB bomb runs sure
were a thrill, requiring nerves of steel. I'm not sure i had them
most of the time, but abandoned quite a lot of bombs mid air when
harassed by the enemy. Sure i would sound the music and pump chaff,
but usually failed to refrain from evasive manouvering.

> Dated graphics by now, but many features and gameplay unmatched.

I loved the non-textured, detailed ground graphics. I've always
loved vector graphics, and texturemapping and things like that are
just cheap substitutes. The mission planning map was also a proper
vector map, and fantastically high-resolution too.

> Frankie

..mace --- sd sDpersto

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:53:30 +0200, Mr. Sylvestre <MrSylvestre@worldcompany.com> wrote:
: On the other hand, my wife laughed at me the first time she saw me bank
: on my chair while managing fast turns in GPL (she was less amused when
: she looked at the sticker on the MSFF wheel box at the time <G>).

GPL? My wife would send me off to the funny house if I banked off my
chair while reading the GNU Public License. And she'd be right.

(What's this other GPL??? A driving sim?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 00:24:29 GMT, Howard Goldstein wrote

> (What's this other GPL??? A driving sim?)

Grand Prix Legends. Yes.
http://www.f1gamers.com/f1/games/gameinfo.php?game=gpl.

-- Elof Gregg