Any online combat sims based in UK?

I'm thinking of getting into online fighter combat (when I get my new
hardware) but I'm concerned about lag. I'm based in the UK and don't
think that flying on US servers is likely to be very rewarding - planes
not being where they were when I shot them sort of thing.

Are there any UK based servers? Is anyone in the group from the UK and
able to tell me it's not as bad as I'm thinking it might be?

Thanks for any comments regarding the above.

Justin.

--
Justin C by the sea.
3 answers Last reply

    In article <slrnd5fmgk.jpp.justin.0504@stigmata.purestblue.com>,
    justin.0504@purestblue.com says...
    > I'm thinking of getting into online fighter combat (when I get my new
    > hardware) but I'm concerned about lag. I'm based in the UK and don't
    > think that flying on US servers is likely to be very rewarding - planes
    > not being where they were when I shot them sort of thing.
    >
    > Are there any UK based servers? Is anyone in the group from the UK and
    > able to tell me it's not as bad as I'm thinking it might be?

    I live in Australia and play Microprose European Air War online
    against/with people from Germany, Holland, UK, US, Canada, Australia.
    Most of the time, it's like they're in the same room - lag is not an
    issue. EAW is a 1998 WWII game with lots of mods which update it. It
    runs well with mods on a PIII 550 or clean on a PII 333. I have cable
    internet but even those with dial-up have success. Ping is more
    important than bandwidth. Sometimes we use Teamspeak for Voice Comms.
    Max No humans in a game is 8 but there are up to hundreds of AI too.
    More info on the http://www.simhq.com forum and join up for games via
    http://groups.msn.com/THEEAWLAUNCHPAD/ eaw launchpad. The community is
    small but friendly. To play, you need to upgrade to v1.2 and there is an
    upgrade called Online Air Wars "OAW" which makes it possible to be
    compatible online while having a choice of Russian, Italian, French,
    Japanese, US Pacific, etc planes, flight models, terrains, speech packs,
    new ground objects, etc.
    Graphics are not up with IL2/PF and others but gameplay is fantastic.
    --
    Mark Lee
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    I play exclusively Il2 and mainly online. Lots of folks from the UK
    don't sleep and I end up flying with a few of them (I'm on the east
    coast of the US) I typically get pings of about 180-300 with my
    cousins from across the pond. Lag is not a factor, at least with the
    chaps I fly with. There are many UK based Il2 squads - check out the
    main Il2 Ubi site for a listing of squads.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    I'm in the US, and my first wingman in a large online battle flew from
    Finland. Except for finding a time to practice with a 10 hour time
    difference, there was no real problem, and this was years ago.
    Any online game will be designed to handle it.

    Your enemy just has to adjust to the sum of your lags, and you also.
    With experience, that comes naturally. "Enemies across the circle behind
    you are closer than they appear" and all that.

    - Matt
    WB: para

    Justin C wrote:
    > I'm thinking of getting into online fighter combat (when I get my new
    > hardware) but I'm concerned about lag. I'm based in the UK and don't
    > think that flying on US servers is likely to be very rewarding - planes
    > not being where they were when I shot them sort of thing.
    >
    > Are there any UK based servers? Is anyone in the group from the UK and
    > able to tell me it's not as bad as I'm thinking it might be?
    >
    > Thanks for any comments regarding the above.
    >
    > Justin.

PC gaming Servers Video Games