Any online combat sims based in UK?

Last response: in Video Games
April 9, 2005 5:35:16 PM

I'm thinking of getting into online fighter combat (when I get my new
hardware) but I'm concerned about lag. I'm based in the UK and don't
think that flying on US servers is likely to be very rewarding - planes
not being where they were when I shot them sort of thing.

Are there any UK based servers? Is anyone in the group from the UK and
able to tell me it's not as bad as I'm thinking it might be?

Thanks for any comments regarding the above.

Justin.

--
Justin C by the sea.
Anonymous

In article <slrnd5fmgk.jpp.justin.0504@stigmata.purestblue.com>,
justin.0504@purestblue.com says...
> I'm thinking of getting into online fighter combat (when I get my new
> hardware) but I'm concerned about lag. I'm based in the UK and don't
> think that flying on US servers is likely to be very rewarding - planes
> not being where they were when I shot them sort of thing.
>
> Are there any UK based servers? Is anyone in the group from the UK and
> able to tell me it's not as bad as I'm thinking it might be?

I live in Australia and play Microprose European Air War online
against/with people from Germany, Holland, UK, US, Canada, Australia.
Most of the time, it's like they're in the same room - lag is not an
issue. EAW is a 1998 WWII game with lots of mods which update it. It
runs well with mods on a PIII 550 or clean on a PII 333. I have cable
internet but even those with dial-up have success. Ping is more
important than bandwidth. Sometimes we use Teamspeak for Voice Comms.
Max No humans in a game is 8 but there are up to hundreds of AI too.
More info on the http://www.simhq.com forum and join up for games via
http://groups.msn.com/THEEAWLAUNCHPAD/ eaw launchpad. The community is
small but friendly. To play, you need to upgrade to v1.2 and there is an
upgrade called Online Air Wars "OAW" which makes it possible to be
compatible online while having a choice of Russian, Italian, French,
Japanese, US Pacific, etc planes, flight models, terrains, speech packs,
new ground objects, etc.
Graphics are not up with IL2/PF and others but gameplay is fantastic.
--
Mark Lee
Anonymous

I play exclusively Il2 and mainly online. Lots of folks from the UK
don't sleep and I end up flying with a few of them (I'm on the east
coast of the US) I typically get pings of about 180-300 with my
cousins from across the pond. Lag is not a factor, at least with the
chaps I fly with. There are many UK based Il2 squads - check out the
main Il2 Ubi site for a listing of squads.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 7:33:28 AM

I'm in the US, and my first wingman in a large online battle flew from
Finland. Except for finding a time to practice with a 10 hour time
difference, there was no real problem, and this was years ago.
Any online game will be designed to handle it.

Your enemy just has to adjust to the sum of your lags, and you also.
With experience, that comes naturally. "Enemies across the circle behind
you are closer than they appear" and all that.

- Matt
WB: para

!