New Vid Card

I made out ok on my tax return for the first time in a long time..

I plan on going ahead and upgrading my 9800 Pro that I have in my new
XP3500+ 64 bit system.
I want to stick with ATI at this time, so Nvidia I am not considering.

What is the best bang these days, the X800? I feel my 9800 Pro is a
bottleneck in this system, and want to use it to revive my XP2800+ system
for my daughter to use..

I would be very interested in comments from folks that have upgraded from
either a 9700 or 9800 Pro to one of the more current generation cards...

It will need to be agp for my Nforce3 Ultra mb.

Also, is 256 mb the way to go rather than 128 these days?

Thanks,

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."

drifter

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

You may want to list what your mainboard has ... AGP or PCI-E

ATI's AGP offerings are pretty slim compared to Nvidia. They have
really filled the PCI-E market top to bottom tho.

Bang for buck? X800Pro (300.00 range). Can you get that in AGP?
Best card? X850pe or some sort. 550.00.

GL.

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 15:56:40 -0500, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

> I made out ok on my tax return for the first time in a long time..
>
>I plan on going ahead and upgrading my 9800 Pro that I have in my new
>XP3500+ 64 bit system.
>I want to stick with ATI at this time, so Nvidia I am not considering.
>
>What is the best bang these days, the X800? I feel my 9800 Pro is a
>bottleneck in this system, and want to use it to revive my XP2800+ system
>for my daughter to use..
>
>I would be very interested in comments from folks that have upgraded from
>either a 9700 or 9800 Pro to one of the more current generation cards...
>
>It will need to be agp for my Nforce3 Ultra mb.
>
>Also, is 256 mb the way to go rather than 128 these days?
>
>Thanks,

A 6800GT 256mb (PNY) for not much more than $300 and you get the full 16
pipes vs ATI x800 pros12.
Im not a particular fan of either ATI or Nvidia I just go with the flow and
right now Nvidia is really the only choice for a midrange AGP card. You can
spend a lot more but you dont get very much more bang.

Mitch

"Drifter" <nohandle@righthere.com> wrote in message
> You may want to list what your mainboard has ... AGP or PCI-E
>
> ATI's AGP offerings are pretty slim compared to Nvidia. They have
> really filled the PCI-E market top to bottom tho.
>
> Bang for buck? X800Pro (300.00 range). Can you get that in AGP?
> Best card? X850pe or some sort. 550.00.
>
> GL.
>
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 15:56:40 -0500, "Don Burnette"
> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I made out ok on my tax return for the first time in a long time..
>>
>>I plan on going ahead and upgrading my 9800 Pro that I have in my new
>>XP3500+ 64 bit system.
>>I want to stick with ATI at this time, so Nvidia I am not considering.
>>
>>What is the best bang these days, the X800? I feel my 9800 Pro is a
>>bottleneck in this system, and want to use it to revive my XP2800+ system
>>for my daughter to use..
>>
>>I would be very interested in comments from folks that have upgraded from
>>either a 9700 or 9800 Pro to one of the more current generation cards...
>>
>>It will need to be agp for my Nforce3 Ultra mb.
>>
>>Also, is 256 mb the way to go rather than 128 these days?
>>
>>Thanks,

I am eyeballing the X800XT.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-423&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE

I notice it has core of 500 and mem of 1000, my 9800 Pro runs overclocked at
408 core 372 ( 744) mem. And I am sure it will overclock some..
I should see significant increase in performance?

Wonder how it would compare with the 6800? I am really wanting to stay with
ATI for now..

Don

Mitch_A wrote:
> A 6800GT 256mb (PNY) for not much more than $300 and you get the full
> 16 pipes vs ATI x800 pros12.
> Im not a particular fan of either ATI or Nvidia I just go with the
> flow and right now Nvidia is really the only choice for a midrange
> AGP card. You can spend a lot more but you dont get very much more
> bang.
> Mitch
>

> "Drifter" <nohandle@righthere.com> wrote in message
>> You may want to list what your mainboard has ... AGP or PCI-E
>>
>> ATI's AGP offerings are pretty slim compared to Nvidia. They have
>> really filled the PCI-E market top to bottom tho.
>>
>> Bang for buck? X800Pro (300.00 range). Can you get that in AGP?
>> Best card? X850pe or some sort. 550.00.
>>
>> GL.
>>
>> On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 15:56:40 -0500, "Don Burnette"
>> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I made out ok on my tax return for the first time in a long time..
>>>
>>> I plan on going ahead and upgrading my 9800 Pro that I have in my
>>> new XP3500+ 64 bit system.
>>> I want to stick with ATI at this time, so Nvidia I am not
>>> considering. What is the best bang these days, the X800? I feel my 9800
>>> Pro is a
>>> bottleneck in this system, and want to use it to revive my XP2800+
>>> system for my daughter to use..
>>>
>>> I would be very interested in comments from folks that have
>>> upgraded from either a 9700 or 9800 Pro to one of the more current
>>> generation cards... It will need to be agp for my Nforce3 Ultra mb.
>>>
>>> Also, is 256 mb the way to go rather than 128 these days?
>>>
>>> Thanks,

drifter

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

What types of games do you play?

A general feeling is that for OGL, NVIDIA has the uper hand and ATIs
OGL drivers are not all that great. For D3D, the opposite is true.

Either way, you are looking high enough on the food chain that, unless
you spend all your time running benchmarks, you probably won't see
much of a performance difference between the ATI and NVIDIA offerings.
After that, it is all a pissing contest.

You really want to stay with ATI? Then get the ATI.

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:48:57 -0500, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

>I am eyeballing the X800XT.
>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-423&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE
>
>I notice it has core of 500 and mem of 1000, my 9800 Pro runs overclocked at
>408 core 372 ( 744) mem. And I am sure it will overclock some..
>I should see significant increase in performance?
>
>Wonder how it would compare with the 6800? I am really wanting to stay with
>ATI for now..
>
>Don
>

>Mitch_A wrote:
>> A 6800GT 256mb (PNY) for not much more than $300 and you get the full
>> 16 pipes vs ATI x800 pros12.
>> Im not a particular fan of either ATI or Nvidia I just go with the
>> flow and right now Nvidia is really the only choice for a midrange
>> AGP card. You can spend a lot more but you dont get very much more
>> bang.
>> Mitch
>>

>> "Drifter" <nohandle@righthere.com> wrote in message
>>> You may want to list what your mainboard has ... AGP or PCI-E
>>>
>>> ATI's AGP offerings are pretty slim compared to Nvidia. They have
>>> really filled the PCI-E market top to bottom tho.
>>>
>>> Bang for buck? X800Pro (300.00 range). Can you get that in AGP?
>>> Best card? X850pe or some sort. 550.00.
>>>
>>> GL.

Mostly flight sims, Il2FB/AEP/PF, FS2004, EECH.
I plan on getting Lomac and SH3 as well.

ATI has come a long way with their OGL drivers, they used to cause
corruption in Pacific Fighters, but the later ones are doing very well..

Don

Drifter wrote:
> What types of games do you play?
>
> A general feeling is that for OGL, NVIDIA has the uper hand and ATIs
> OGL drivers are not all that great. For D3D, the opposite is true.
>
> Either way, you are looking high enough on the food chain that, unless
> you spend all your time running benchmarks, you probably won't see
> much of a performance difference between the ATI and NVIDIA offerings.
> After that, it is all a pissing contest.
>
> You really want to stay with ATI? Then get the ATI.
>
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:48:57 -0500, "Don Burnette"
> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I am eyeballing the X800XT.
>> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-423&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE
>>
>> I notice it has core of 500 and mem of 1000, my 9800 Pro runs
>> overclocked at 408 core 372 ( 744) mem. And I am sure it will
>> overclock some..
>> I should see significant increase in performance?
>>
>> Wonder how it would compare with the 6800? I am really wanting to
>> stay with ATI for now..
>>
>> Don
>>

>> Mitch_A wrote:
>>> A 6800GT 256mb (PNY) for not much more than $300 and you get the
>>> full 16 pipes vs ATI x800 pros12.
>>> Im not a particular fan of either ATI or Nvidia I just go with the
>>> flow and right now Nvidia is really the only choice for a midrange
>>> AGP card. You can spend a lot more but you dont get very much more
>>> bang.
>>> Mitch
>>>

>>> "Drifter" <nohandle@righthere.com> wrote in message

Check it out here:

http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html

Dirk

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>I am eyeballing the X800XT.
> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-423&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE
>
> I notice it has core of 500 and mem of 1000, my 9800 Pro runs overclocked
> at 408 core 372 ( 744) mem. And I am sure it will overclock some..
> I should see significant increase in performance?
>
> Wonder how it would compare with the 6800? I am really wanting to stay
> with ATI for now..
>
> Don
>

> Mitch_A wrote:
>> A 6800GT 256mb (PNY) for not much more than $300 and you get the full
>> 16 pipes vs ATI x800 pros12.
>> Im not a particular fan of either ATI or Nvidia I just go with the
>> flow and right now Nvidia is really the only choice for a midrange
>> AGP card. You can spend a lot more but you dont get very much more
>> bang.
>> Mitch
>>

>> "Drifter" <nohandle@righthere.com> wrote in message
>>> You may want to list what your mainboard has ... AGP or PCI-E
>>>
>>> ATI's AGP offerings are pretty slim compared to Nvidia. They have
>>> really filled the PCI-E market top to bottom tho.
>>>
>>> Bang for buck? X800Pro (300.00 range). Can you get that in AGP?
>>> Best card? X850pe or some sort. 550.00.
>>>
>>> GL.

Good info, that helps.

Thanks for the link.

Don

Dirk Gross wrote:
> Check it out here:
>
> http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html
>
> Dirk
>
> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I am eyeballing the X800XT.
>> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-423&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE
>>
>> I notice it has core of 500 and mem of 1000, my 9800 Pro runs
>> overclocked at 408 core 372 ( 744) mem. And I am sure it will
>> overclock some.. I should see significant increase in performance?
>>
>> Wonder how it would compare with the 6800? I am really wanting to
>> stay with ATI for now..
>>
>> Don
>>

>> Mitch_A wrote:
>>> A 6800GT 256mb (PNY) for not much more than $300 and you get the
>>> full 16 pipes vs ATI x800 pros12.
>>> Im not a particular fan of either ATI or Nvidia I just go with the
>>> flow and right now Nvidia is really the only choice for a midrange
>>> AGP card. You can spend a lot more but you dont get very much more
>>> bang.
>>> Mitch
>>>

>>> "Drifter" <nohandle@righthere.com> wrote in message

drifter

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:08:58 -0500, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

>ATI has come a long way with their OGL drivers, they used to cause
>corruption in Pacific Fighters, but the later ones are doing very well..

They still lag behind NVIDIA's. There have been rumors for a long
time that ATI is rebuilding their OGL engine that will show up in a
Catalyst release some day. No sign of it yet. In general, for OGL
games (that don't seem to be driving the games you play anyway) NVIDIA
still performs better.

The last NVIDIA card owned what a TNT2 Ultra, or was it a GEforce 2
Ti? They make good equipment, but I have been on the ATI bandwagon
since then. I am not a benchmark hound. ATI is my brand and give me
the picture quality I like even if I do loose a few FPS here and there
to the NVIDIA stuff.

I think that when you consider these high end cards, what you want is
as important as what works the fastest or overclocks the most (unless
bench marks are your thing). If you really like ATI, get the ATI and
enjoy. If NVIDIA is your bag, go to it. There is always a trade off,
so choose what you want and you won't worry that NVIDIA draws shadows
faster on some game you don't play anyway.

GL!

The main issue with IL2 is that the game doesn't really exploit video
cards to their fullest. For whatever reason, Il2 is very dependent
upon the CPU. So you probably won't see a profound FPS improvement
when making the upgrade. To be honest, I'm surprised you want to
upgrade from your 9800 Pro. That's a killer card. Anyway, for those
games coded to really expoit graphics cards, you might see a 5 to 10%
improvement in FPS. By the way, I have SHIII running on a modest
system (using the fx5200) and I get decent fps even when a ship is
blowing up. Personally since you have a stream of fat stacks coming
back from uncle sam, you might want to consider getting a mobo-video
card combo to really see an improvement.

SH3 isnt very representative of flight sims on the 3d performance side. SH3
res is locked at 1024X768 so its not surprising a FX5200 can run it
reasonably well. Not much else in the 3d world though ;0)

Mitch

<jamesarlene@comcast.net> wrote in message
> The main issue with IL2 is that the game doesn't really exploit video
> cards to their fullest. For whatever reason, Il2 is very dependent
> upon the CPU. So you probably won't see a profound FPS improvement
> when making the upgrade. To be honest, I'm surprised you want to
> upgrade from your 9800 Pro. That's a killer card. Anyway, for those
> games coded to really expoit graphics cards, you might see a 5 to 10%
> improvement in FPS. By the way, I have SHIII running on a modest
> system (using the fx5200) and I get decent fps even when a ship is
> blowing up. Personally since you have a stream of fat stacks coming
> back from uncle sam, you might want to consider getting a mobo-video
> card combo to really see an improvement.

jamesarlene@comcast.net wrote:
> The main issue with IL2 is that the game doesn't really exploit video
> cards to their fullest. For whatever reason, Il2 is very dependent
> upon the CPU. So you probably won't see a profound FPS improvement
> when making the upgrade. To be honest, I'm surprised you want to
> upgrade from your 9800 Pro. That's a killer card. Anyway, for
> those games coded to really expoit graphics cards, you might see a 5
> to 10% improvement in FPS. By the way, I have SHIII running on a
> modest system (using the fx5200) and I get decent fps even when a
> ship is blowing up. Personally since you have a stream of fat stacks
> coming back from uncle sam, you might want to consider getting a
> mobo-video card combo to really see an improvement.

Well, I think I have the motherboard with this MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Nforce3
Ultra socket 939 , with Athlon 64 winchester core 3500+.
:)

I suspect the 9800 Pro would be the bottleneck now, but we'll see....