Cheap chargers ok for V551?

Last response: in Brands
December 9, 2004 5:45:12 PM

The guy down the block sells cheap ($7) for all cell phones. He has
one that fits the V551 but I'm worried about using it. There are no
specs at all written on it. Are they standard? Safe?

More about : cheap chargers v551

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 6:03:28 PM

Do you really want to trust a $400 phone to a $7 charger?

I don't.

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:45:12 -0500, dgk
<sonicechoes-spamless@hot-nospamp-mail.com> wrote:

>The guy down the block sells cheap ($7) for all cell phones. He has
>one that fits the V551 but I'm worried about using it. There are no
>specs at all written on it. Are they standard? Safe?

___________

**Remove NOSPAM from email address to reply**
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 11:21:52 PM

Actually a $250 phone; less if you shop around.

In <1sbhr0h59av2i8km8p9r6jl5lijgv9ffkq@4ax.com> on Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:03:28
-0500, Khris <prewiredNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:

>Do you really want to trust a $400 phone to a $7 charger?
>
>I don't.
>
>On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:45:12 -0500, dgk
><sonicechoes-spamless@hot-nospamp-mail.com> wrote:
>
>>The guy down the block sells cheap ($7) for all cell phones. He has
>>one that fits the V551 but I'm worried about using it. There are no
>>specs at all written on it. Are they standard? Safe?

December 9, 2004 11:21:53 PM

And if you buy one on Amazon with Cingular plan, it's free!

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 20:21:52 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>Actually a $250 phone; less if you shop around.
>
>In <1sbhr0h59av2i8km8p9r6jl5lijgv9ffkq@4ax.com> on Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:03:28
>-0500, Khris <prewiredNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Do you really want to trust a $400 phone to a $7 charger?
>>
>>I don't.
>>
>>On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:45:12 -0500, dgk
>><sonicechoes-spamless@hot-nospamp-mail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>The guy down the block sells cheap ($7) for all cell phones. He has
>>>one that fits the V551 but I'm worried about using it. There are no
>>>specs at all written on it. Are they standard? Safe?
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 11:21:54 PM

I'm in Canadian Funds :D

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 13:30:21 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

>And if you buy one on Amazon with Cingular plan, it's free!
>
>On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 20:21:52 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>Actually a $250 phone; less if you shop around.
>>
>>In <1sbhr0h59av2i8km8p9r6jl5lijgv9ffkq@4ax.com> on Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:03:28
>>-0500, Khris <prewiredNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Do you really want to trust a $400 phone to a $7 charger?
>>>
>>>I don't.

___________

**Remove NOSPAM from email address to reply**
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 11:56:46 AM

wrote:

>Do you really want to trust a $400 phone to a $7 charger?
>
>I don't.

That's why I'm asking. I'm sure that there are perfectly acceptable
chargers that are cheaper than the Motorola one. Having two is very
useful. Does anyone know of someone actually damaging a phone by using
a third party charger, or anyone using a TPC that did not damage the
phone?
December 11, 2004 12:39:09 AM

In article <jddhr01mjc0sll28j5sdmemda14thns73i@4ax.com>,
Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

> And if you buy one on Amazon with Cingular plan, it's free!

Yes, free today, but if he uses that charger and it blows up tomorrow,
that same replacement phone costs at least $250, and that is the real
cost number here, not the free number.

> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 20:21:52 GMT, John Navas
> <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
> >Actually a $250 phone; less if you shop around.
> >
> >In <1sbhr0h59av2i8km8p9r6jl5lijgv9ffkq@4ax.com> on Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:03:28
> >-0500, Khris <prewiredNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Do you really want to trust a $400 phone to a $7 charger?
> >>
> >>I don't.

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 12:31:51 PM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:39:09 -0500, Steve <Steve@IHATESPAM.com> wrote:

>In article <jddhr01mjc0sll28j5sdmemda14thns73i@4ax.com>,
> Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>
>> And if you buy one on Amazon with Cingular plan, it's free!
>
>Yes, free today, but if he uses that charger and it blows up tomorrow,
>that same replacement phone costs at least $250, and that is the real
>cost number here, not the free number.

I think that I will search around for a better quality second charger.
Any suggestions appreciated.
December 14, 2004 7:42:21 PM

I use third-party chargers, especially for off-phone battery charging.
I have done this since I got a cell. One of the great features of the
OEM chargers is that they had discharge features, because we had NiCd
batteries!

If you just charge the battery off the phone, there are no worries about
damage to the phone.

For plugging a charger into the phone itself, I have the car and home
chargers left over from a few previous phones, including the v60/Color
which fits, rates and tests at the right voltage...and haven't had any
trouble. If I do, I have insurance on the phone, so it's still not my
problem.

-Ron
Motorola v551, which is so new, I still have the original photos and
videos in the camera's memory!

dgk wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:03:28 -0500, Khris <prewiredNOSPAM@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Do you really want to trust a $400 phone to a $7 charger?
>>
>>I don't.
>>

> That's why I'm asking. I'm sure that there are perfectly acceptable
> chargers that are cheaper than the Motorola one. Having two is very
> useful. Does anyone know of someone actually damaging a phone by using
> a third party charger, or anyone using a TPC that did not damage the
> phone?
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:42:22 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:42:21 GMT, Ron <rdswart@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>I use third-party chargers, especially for off-phone battery charging.
>I have done this since I got a cell. One of the great features of the
>OEM chargers is that they had discharge features, because we had NiCd
>batteries!
>
>If you just charge the battery off the phone, there are no worries about
>damage to the phone.
>
>For plugging a charger into the phone itself, I have the car and home
>chargers left over from a few previous phones, including the v60/Color
>which fits, rates and tests at the right voltage...and haven't had any
>trouble. If I do, I have insurance on the phone, so it's still not my
>problem.
>
>-Ron
>Motorola v551, which is so new, I still have the original photos and
>videos in the camera's memory!

I never thought about off-phone charging. Does all the stuff stored on
the phone remain intact while the battery is removed?
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:42:23 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:19:44 -0500, dgk
<sonicechoes-spamless@hot-nospamp-mail.com> said in
alt.cellular.motorola:

>I never thought about off-phone charging. Does all the stuff stored on
>the phone remain intact while the battery is removed?

On most modern phones yes, but if you have a spare battery you can use
one and charge one.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:42:24 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:55:56 -0500, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org>
wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:19:44 -0500, dgk
><sonicechoes-spamless@hot-nospamp-mail.com> said in
>alt.cellular.motorola:
>
>>I never thought about off-phone charging. Does all the stuff stored on
>>the phone remain intact while the battery is removed?
>
>On most modern phones yes, but if you have a spare battery you can use
>one and charge one.

I've rarely looked forward more to the PC Fair. There is a medium
sized one this Saturday at JFK airport. I don't recall them having too
much cell stuff but I never really looked hard. I will this weekend.
There is another one at the Meadowlands (New Jersey) but that is a bit
of a haul for me.

Odd, no big ones before Christmas. That's unusual. Says something
about the economy I'd guess. Nothing good.
December 15, 2004 4:35:01 AM

Yes - although they say you should power the phone off properly before
changing the battery...don't just yank the battery when the phone is
still on.

I have used multiple batteries with most of my phones I've had - even
the non moto models, and changing the battery is completely supported.
Nothing is lost. It's a good way to get an extra few hours of talk
time, should you need it!!

=Ron!

dgk wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:42:21 GMT, Ron <rdswart@worldnet.att.net>
> wrote:
>

>>I use third-party chargers, especially for off-phone battery charging.
>>I have done this since I got a cell. One of the great features of the
>>OEM chargers is that they had discharge features, because we had NiCd
>>batteries!
>>
>>If you just charge the battery off the phone, there are no worries about
>>damage to the phone.
>>
>>For plugging a charger into the phone itself, I have the car and home
>>chargers left over from a few previous phones, including the v60/Color
>>which fits, rates and tests at the right voltage...and haven't had any
>>trouble. If I do, I have insurance on the phone, so it's still not my
>>problem.
>>
>>-Ron
>>Motorola v551, which is so new, I still have the original photos and
>>videos in the camera's memory!
>

> I never thought about off-phone charging. Does all the stuff stored on
> the phone remain intact while the battery is removed?
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 10:06:35 AM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <9xMvd.125818$7i4.90334@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Wed, 15 Dec
2004 01:35:01 GMT, Ron <rdswart@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Yes - although they say you should power the phone off properly before
>changing the battery...don't just yank the battery when the phone is
>still on.

It's actually good for many (most?) phones to just yank out the battery at
least now and then because that forces the phone into a hard reset.