Log transcript with HP Technician

nh2

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2004
Chat Transcript Begins Here
--------------------------------------------------------------

Sean
Welcome to HP Total Care. How may I assist you today?

nh2 baroud
hello sean, I was wondering if the new drivers for the officejet are out ?

nh2 baroud
they are supposed to fix the 20 page memmory limit problem with the ADF

nh2 baroud
and the crashes with the software.

Sean
Nh2, may I have the model of the printer you own ?

nh2 baroud

nh2 baroud
Officejet

Sean
Please give me a moment, let me check .

nh2 baroud
ok. I talked to a technician a month back and he told me that these issues are known and are being tackled...

nh2 baroud
and that a new driver set is due soon...

Sean
Okay.

Sean
Thanks.

Sean
Please be online with me.

nh2 baroud
what ?

nh2 baroud
I am online...

Sean
Okay.

Sean
Which version of Windows (i.e. 98, ME, or XP) do you use?

nh2 baroud
xp

Sean
Okay.

nh2 baroud
well ?

Sean
Thanks for being online. I apologize for the delay caused.

Sean
I checked my database. The issue is yet to be addressed.

nh2 baroud
YET to be addressed ?

nh2 baroud
Comooon, it's been month...

Sean
The research team is working on it.

nh2 baroud
this is actually preventing me from using the over 400 dollars peice of [-peep-] i bought

nh2 baroud
Let me tell you my man, it's been a problem wince september 2003

nh2 baroud
This is unacceptable from a company your size

nh2 baroud
You don't know who i am, I was being polite till now, but you can tell your supperiors that they are gonna get bad publicity

Sean
I do understand the situation and I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

nh2 baroud
[-peep-] that sentence, i've been told the same thing over 5 times in this place...

nh2 baroud
I had faith in

nh2 baroud
HP, now i can't even return this peice of hardware, and i'm not happy about wasting 400 dollars...

nh2 baroud
Either you dish out that peice of software, or i'm gonna sue your asses for false technical specs, misleading the customer and selling peices of [-peep-] that don't work... It's an OFFICEJET... OFFICE, means, business, i'm gonna spend my money on a lawyer, and it's gonna be well spent...

Sean
I will sincerely request you to be polite in your language.

Sean
We are trying our level best to resolve the issue.

nh2 baroud
Forgive my anger, but it is well channeled... Beleive me.

Sean
Thanks.

nh2 baroud
These threats should be taken very seriously... I'm a man of words... I don't like to be taken for a puppy...

nh2 baroud
It's been 6 months now, I think you should refurb this "NOT WORKING" hardware...

Sean
The software release department and the Technical chat support teams are entirely different teams.

nh2 baroud
They don't even communicate ?

nh2 baroud
you can't communicate to your superiors at HP, that the so called famous company is selling hardware that doesn't even comply with it's own spec sheets to companys and businesses all over the world ?

Sean
You can check the website for new releases.

nh2 baroud
Listen Sean, I'm no middle earning, middle morron american who is bullshitting here. I checked the website already... I am talking to you to see if we can resolve this issue peacefully...

nh2 baroud
Tell anyone in the departement, to tell whoever is in charge to put more coders and programmers on the drivers.... If you have one indian Teenage boy working his ass off to release drivers for all your products, that's not gonna help...

Sean
Could you please give me more details about the issue ?

nh2 baroud
Now i've been told 5 times that this manner will be dealt with, and it's hasn't... Now i'm just going with my logs somewhere where i'm heard.

nh2 baroud
Dear god, not again...

Sean
I am here to assist you resolve your issues. So please let me know more about your issue.

nh2 baroud
Just fetch me the changelog of the 1.13 CD version of your drivers...

nh2 baroud
it doesn't show on the website

Sean
The driver is available on the web site.

nh2 baroud
It's not available for download

nh2 baroud
it's available for ordering...

Sean
The driver is certainly available for download from the web site.

Sean
I will send you the link right away.

Sean
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareList.jhtml?reg=&cc=us&prodId=hpofficeje91466&lc=en&plc=&softitem=Microsoft Windows XP&sw_lang=en&pagetype=software

Sean
Has a web page popped up on your screen ?

nh2 baroud
did you even checked the link you sent ?

nh2 baroud
it's available on ORDERING

nh2 baroud
please, don't insult my intelligence

Sean

Sean
Just check the web page.

Sean
It is, in fact available for download.

Sean
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareList.jhtml?reg=&cc=us&prodId=hpofficeje91466&lc=en&plc=&softitem=Microsoft Windows XP&sw_lang=en&pagetype=software

nh2 baroud
the download is for version 1.12

nh2 baroud
NOT 1.13

nh2 baroud
Where am I here ? Open Source HardWare Tech Support ?

Sean
That is the latest version which has been released.

Sean
Yes, you are with Hardware Chat Support.

nh2 baroud
I was wondering IF the 1.13 version which is dated 02-02-2004, AFTER the 1.12 version dated from september=, resolved my issues...

nh2 baroud
notice the 1.13 and 1.12 version change ?

Sean
Please check the web site. When the 1.13 version is released, it will be listed there in the web site.

nh2 baroud
the 1.13 version is ALREADY released for ordering.

nh2 baroud
don't you have a changelog ?

nh2 baroud
don't you have the CD ?

Sean
May I know from which country are you chatting from ?

Sean
May I know which country are you chatting from ?

nh2 baroud
France

Sean
I regret to inform you that this is the support site for only US products. You will need to contact the support team for France.

Sean
I will give you the link for that.

nh2 baroud
Hahaha.... That was easy... Don't worry, you'll hear from me soon in the US... Country of passage doesn't matter...

Sean
http://welcome.hp.com/country/fr/fr/support.html

Sean

nh2 baroud
you know more than me that this HP Section does not produce drivers

nh2 baroud
it's not good to dump an unhappy customer over to his froggy collegues

Sean
We are the support team only for US products.

nh2 baroud
this is a US product, you think it was manufactured in PARIS ?

nh2 baroud
it was manufactured in india or china by a US company, HP.

Sean
Had you purchased the product from US ?

nh2 baroud
yes

Sean
The driver Cd that we have is the same as the driver put up on the website.

nh2 baroud
then why is it labeled 1.13 instead of 1.12 ? and why is the release date as of 2004 whether the download driver is of september ?

nh2 baroud
You know what, never mind, you're not going to help, and you're not going to forward this to your superiors either, because you don't want them to know that you are incompetent. But they should know who Sean is, and I have a way to get to them.

Sean
Could you let me know what the issue is ?

nh2 baroud
the software is unusable with high quantity documents fed through the ADF

nh2 baroud
over 20 and it will crash

Sean
Which version of Windows (i.e. 98, ME, or XP) do you use?

nh2 baroud
and the option to export the images to another software is very limited, I cannot use ANY professional software with the scanner.

nh2 baroud
Sean, you already asked, it's XP

Sean
Which program do you use to scan documents ?

nh2 baroud
the original one

nh2 baroud
supplied by the CD

Sean
I will advise you to uninstall the software completely and then reinstall it again sing the CD.

nh2 baroud
listen dude, i'm no newbie, I already did those a thousand times... Can you do better than a format c:\ and a clean install ? NO ...

nh2 baroud
whatever you're gonna say next, i did it...

nh2 baroud
it's the drivers/software... It's not a problem on my side

Sean
I will advise you to download the driver from the web site and then install that. I am sure that will resolve the issue.

nh2 baroud
been there, done that

Sean
I have got such an issue for the first time.

nh2 baroud
these drivers are from a SEPTEMBER release date

nh2 baroud
I will explain to you what it means, it means they have been released back in SEPTEMBER 2003 ..;

Sean
Okay.

nh2 baroud
which means i ALREADY tried 1000 Times... with no results

M39shadow

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
Shesh dude whats your big huff.

Did it ever occur to you that the crash is probably related to how much virtual memory that many pages takes to process. I can only assume that by "high quality" you mean your scanning at a high resolution. Do you have any idea how much space is required for just one page at just 600 dpi in 24 bit color? Even a simple page with a medium sized graphic takes 50+ MB. 20 puts you well over a Gig. Most PCs can't handle that and keep running apps at trhe same time. More of a Windows issue than anything else. Just because the dang thing can take 50 pages doesn't mean you can scan 50 pages. What were you scanning and at what dpi anyway?

I'd also like to know what you tried to scan into and couldn't. I have yet to see any software that is TWAIN compliant that I can't scan into. If you can't scan into something its more likely the software you are trying to scan into. I'm a graphical artist and haven't had any problems scanning into any common scanning apps. It takes all the MS Office stuff as well as all the graphics programs I've tried.

nh2

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2004
Ok. First of all, i don't see the point of making a product with 50 pages automatic feeding if the software provided with it crashes at 20 pages.

and NO, the pages are not high quality, they are the lowest quality i could dish up. (Low dpi like 150, etc...)

and the twain compatible softwares CAN take a page, but cannot steer the automatic paper feeder, it get paper jams everytime i use third party software.

M39shadow

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
The document feeder is there more for copies and faxing than for scanning. Thats why you'll see the 50 pages spec there. Most people don't try to scan that many pages. Scanning multiple pages is highly subjective to the computer, OS, and application. No scanner manufacturer can predict what will happen when connect their scanner to your PC and start trying to scan. Personally I don't have real high expectations for ANY scanner once you get beyond that 1st page, in fact many won't do much more than 1 page.

Not sure why it would jam only on 3rd party apps. Should feed the same regargless but I will tell you that many 3rd party apps don't handle document feeders real well. Heck many won't except more than one page at a time at all unless the scanner software handles that for them. They are mainly designed for use with a flatbed with no document feeder. From what I've seen feeder jams are usually caused by dirty rollers or the paper being fed in.

I still think that another driver isn't going to help you and much but that guy was right about you needing the drivers for France. At least he is if you want the right languages and such. Also I know if the language file isn't the same as the language in your regional settings in Windows, you are asking for trouble. He was only trying to help you but you jumped down his throat. You ever think about what it would be like if the roles were reversed?