Sign in with
Your question

Trying to find a good router for gaming and downloading

Last response: in Networking
November 18, 2012 3:16:13 PM

I have an issue with how my router prioritizes the traffic in my network and the fact is that it doesn't.

It is a generic chinese router that was given to me when I made the contract for the internet connection.

I have a speed of 24 mbit down and 1 mbit up.

What happens is when I download a game from Origin for example and my internet speed maxes out, it is like I have no internet connection at all. I can't enter any websites whatsoever because my whole bandwidth is being given to the download and nothing else.

I have been messing around with the NetLimiter software for a couple of years but it just doesn't do the job, the only way to have internet when downloading is to limit significant the traffic being given to my download which I don't like doing.

Another problem I have is quite high pings in games when I download even if I have limited the traffic towards my download.

Hell even if I watch a youtube video at 1080p my whole traffic is being given to youtube and I have to wait for the video to finish downloading if I wanted for example to check my facebook while simultaneously watch the video.

All in all this is quite a problem for me and I want you people to suggest me good routers that will do good prioritization.

I live alone and don't I'll ever have more than 4 computers at home at the same time, so a maximum of 4 LAN ports would be perfectly fine.

Also it must have WiFi.

I have heard about WDs routers that do very good prioritization and even saw them getting hammered by multiple kinds of traffic in one of LinusTechTips videos but I just want to hear your personal opinion so I can have more options.
November 18, 2012 6:20:27 PM

This feature is normally called quality of service but it is mostly a big lie. The problem is you really only have the option to give traffic coming to your router priority AFTER it receives it. That does not do a real lot of good since the damage is already done. This type of solution try to drop the traffic after it is already received in a effort to cause the TCP slow down effect to happen because of lost packets. It is actually using a error recovery mechanism to try to limit traffic. It only works to a point. The real solution is to drop the packets before they are sent but the ISP would have to do it and you really can only get that as a option on a commercial account.

A router that can run DD-WRT is your best bet since it has more option that most...but all methods depend on trying to trick the error recovery feature to limit traffic.
November 19, 2012 12:01:15 PM

john-b691 said:
This feature is normally called quality of service but it is mostly a big lie. The problem is you really only have the option to give traffic coming to your router priority AFTER it receives it. That does not do a real lot of good since the damage is already done. This type of solution try to drop the traffic after it is already received in a effort to cause the TCP slow down effect to happen because of lost packets. It is actually using a error recovery mechanism to try to limit traffic. It only works to a point. The real solution is to drop the packets before they are sent but the ISP would have to do it and you really can only get that as a option on a commercial account.

A router that can run DD-WRT is your best bet since it has more option that most...but all methods depend on trying to trick the error recovery feature to limit traffic.

Oh I see, I did not know about that feature, thank you.
Related resources
November 22, 2012 3:37:54 PM

anyone else to suggest a good router to me?
November 22, 2012 4:44:06 PM

With a 24-1 ratio I'd bet that your upstream is becoming saturated by the ACK's at which point the downstream will be reduced to whatever the upstream is.
November 22, 2012 4:46:54 PM

There's really no way to tell one router as better than the other. I had a similar problem with torrent downloads when I would be unable to surf interent while downloading. I recently bought a new router and the prblem's gone. Before you buy 1 try borrowing a few from friends and test them to see which works. I have tried 4 different routers. The ISP's routers usually aren't good.

You can consider any router by Netgear, Belkin, Buffalo....
Good Luck.
!