Trying to find a good router for gaming and downloading

TheByt3

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I have an issue with how my router prioritizes the traffic in my network and the fact is that it doesn't.

It is a generic chinese router that was given to me when I made the contract for the internet connection.

I have a speed of 24 mbit down and 1 mbit up.

What happens is when I download a game from Origin for example and my internet speed maxes out, it is like I have no internet connection at all. I can't enter any websites whatsoever because my whole bandwidth is being given to the download and nothing else.

I have been messing around with the NetLimiter software for a couple of years but it just doesn't do the job, the only way to have internet when downloading is to limit significant the traffic being given to my download which I don't like doing.

Another problem I have is quite high pings in games when I download even if I have limited the traffic towards my download.

Hell even if I watch a youtube video at 1080p my whole traffic is being given to youtube and I have to wait for the video to finish downloading if I wanted for example to check my facebook while simultaneously watch the video.

All in all this is quite a problem for me and I want you people to suggest me good routers that will do good prioritization.

I live alone and don't I'll ever have more than 4 computers at home at the same time, so a maximum of 4 LAN ports would be perfectly fine.

Also it must have WiFi.

I have heard about WDs routers that do very good prioritization and even saw them getting hammered by multiple kinds of traffic in one of LinusTechTips videos but I just want to hear your personal opinion so I can have more options.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
This feature is normally called quality of service but it is mostly a big lie. The problem is you really only have the option to give traffic coming to your router priority AFTER it receives it. That does not do a real lot of good since the damage is already done. This type of solution try to drop the traffic after it is already received in a effort to cause the TCP slow down effect to happen because of lost packets. It is actually using a error recovery mechanism to try to limit traffic. It only works to a point. The real solution is to drop the packets before they are sent but the ISP would have to do it and you really can only get that as a option on a commercial account.

A router that can run DD-WRT is your best bet since it has more option that most...but all methods depend on trying to trick the error recovery feature to limit traffic.

TheByt3

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

Oh I see, I did not know about that feature, thank you.

reckoner

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
There's really no way to tell one router as better than the other. I had a similar problem with torrent downloads when I would be unable to surf interent while downloading. I recently bought a new router and the prblem's gone. Before you buy 1 try borrowing a few from friends and test them to see which works. I have tried 4 different routers. The ISP's routers usually aren't good.

You can consider any router by Netgear, Belkin, Buffalo....
Good Luck.

TRENDING THREADS