tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
ok... im really scared about this. All my problems that ive been having with startup crashes etc etc were caused by my monitor. It turns out by plugging in my old CRT monitor all of thses problems go away. My LCD is to blame. My question is, how can a monitor cause a computer to crash in DOS. Is it the new resolution im using? Or is it doing something to the Graphics Card? Or is it drawing more power from my mains socket and therefore causing everything else to be unstable. Please dont say I need to chuck the monitor, Ive just spent £500 on this thing. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

My sig's faster than yours, and it overclocks better too....

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
What the f*ck. Are you serious about this? I can hardly believe that a monitor in anyway can be responsible for that.
The only thing I can think of is that plug-n-play monitors uses 2-signals in the VGA connector (I2C protocol I think) for autodetection etc. Perhaps your old monitor doesnt have this, and your new one does?
But that really shouldnt cause the PC to crash in DOS. Unless your graphics card really f*cks something up inside the machine when you connect such a monitor. Do you have another graphics card you can try?

You dont need to worry about power drain from the mains socket. It standard to design a PC supply to accept a +10/-20% mains power variation. Before you can put so much load on the mains that it actually will cause the voltage to drop significantly, you'll blow the mains fuses.

<i><b>"I don't understand what it is! Let me kill it!" -- Worf</b></i>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Thanks for the reply Hammerbot. Ok, ive tried a few things since I last posted. But im serious, this is real, and very weird. Right I tried running the monitor from a different mains socket same problem (just like you just said, it wasnt this). I also tried a much lower windows resolution (800x600 rather than 1280x1024), same thing. So, it has to be my Graphics Card. This really is strange.
Well, I was planning to get a new Graphics card next week anyway (A Radeon 7500 with DVI so that I can digitilise my monitor), I guess ill just have to see what happens with the DVI. Im sure there must be a problem with my graphics. One thing I did notice was that in DOS, the image was displayed wrongly with the new monitor (some of the text is off of the screen), whereas with my old one it was alright. Im guessing this has somethin to do with the number of pixels on the LCD etc, so its probably nothing.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is pretty commond for part of text out of screen in DOS. My old computer does that in DOS too but in Windows everything is fine.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Ok update, ive just discovered by trial and error that if I leave the monitor switched off during the boot up period, it does not freeze at all. Hammer, im beginng to believe that the thing you said about a monitor requiring two signals is true. Perhaps, the bios of my graphics card is old, and will stop if it detects a monitor that needs two signals. Something is probably incompatible with the LCD etc etc. Still, it is rather annoying that in order to solve this I need to make sure the computer starts to boot before I switch on the monitor. Perhaps, this incompatibility is why I get a beep code if I try to reset after one of the lockups. Perhaps my graphics card doesnt have a support for this new two-signal standard etc. To answer Johnoh's question, they are both normal VGA connectors but the CRT cable is missing pin 9 whilst the LCD has them all. However, considering that the CRT lead is soldered in whilst the LCD is not, perhaps Iiyama use on connector for all of their monitors and therefore need all pins (i.e for a feature that is used on a different monitor in their range). Perhaps im wrong and this pin is the one which makes the difference, perhaps not. Anyway, all I can hope for is that the DVI in the radeon 7500 will be compatible.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Perhaps my graphics card doesnt have a support for this new two-signal standard etc
Its quite old actually. And I suspect the graphics card must support it otherwise they would be harmless (ignored by GFX card)

Its ok that Pin9 is missing since it is not <A HREF="http://www.cablingdirectory.com/techinfo/video/video.htm" target="_new">used</A>

<i><b>"I don't understand what it is! Let me kill it!" -- Worf</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=6062#6062" target="_new">My System</A>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Thanks Hammerbot and upec, until I get my new card and try that out I can survive by telling my family not to switch on the LCD until they hear the HDD in the IDE detection. Im hoping that using DVI may solve these problems, so I guess ill just have to wait and see.

TRENDING THREADS