Voodoo 5 5500 Windows 98 Drivers for old flight sim PC

I am contemplating assembling an older Windows 98 PC for older flight sims.
I have a Voodoo 5500 AGP video card and am wondering what are the best
drivers to use? Voodoofiles.com has tons of drivers, but I hate to go
through several before finding ones that work. I am mainly going to load all
my old Jane's games on it (F-15, Longbow 2, USAF, IAF, 688(i), ATF Gold,
etc) plus a few classics like Descent 2, Comanche 3, Total Air War, F/A-18
Korea, A-10 Cuba!, MiG Alley, among other's I'm sure.

I just want the most stable drivers. Most of the driver descriptions note
Voodoo 3 but no mention of Voodoo 5. But maybe that doesn't matter?

Thanks!

As I recall, the drivers I used were called "Wicked" - and I had a copy of
their .exe install before they decided to statrt charging money for them.
They pretty much doubled my framerates in Counter Strike. My wife is using
my old PC (actually, the PC I used before I got the new PC which I now
consider my old PC) - a Celeron 566 overclocked to 800MHz, with a Voodoo 5
5500. If you want, I can poke around on it and see if I still have the
install .exe - I typically save old files like that.

James

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am contemplating assembling an older Windows 98 PC for older flight
sims.
> I have a Voodoo 5500 AGP video card and am wondering what are the best
> drivers to use? Voodoofiles.com has tons of drivers, but I hate to go
> through several before finding ones that work. I am mainly going to load
all
> my old Jane's games on it (F-15, Longbow 2, USAF, IAF, 688(i), ATF Gold,
> etc) plus a few classics like Descent 2, Comanche 3, Total Air War, F/A-18
> Korea, A-10 Cuba!, MiG Alley, among other's I'm sure.
>
> I just want the most stable drivers. Most of the driver descriptions note
> Voodoo 3 but no mention of Voodoo 5. But maybe that doesn't matter?
>
> Thanks!

Thanks. I will also look for a downloadable "wicked" driver set, if they
don't charge for it. I found the official 1.09 beta 10 and Omega 1.03
drivers, but am willing to check out the Wicked ones too. I won't know if
any of them work until I get this PC together.

"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> As I recall, the drivers I used were called "Wicked" - and I had a copy of
> their .exe install before they decided to statrt charging money for them.
> They pretty much doubled my framerates in Counter Strike. My wife is
> using
> my old PC (actually, the PC I used before I got the new PC which I now
> consider my old PC) - a Celeron 566 overclocked to 800MHz, with a Voodoo 5
> 5500. If you want, I can poke around on it and see if I still have the
> install .exe - I typically save old files like that.
>
> James
>
> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I am contemplating assembling an older Windows 98 PC for older flight
> sims.
>> I have a Voodoo 5500 AGP video card and am wondering what are the best
>> drivers to use? Voodoofiles.com has tons of drivers, but I hate to go
>> through several before finding ones that work. I am mainly going to load
> all
>> my old Jane's games on it (F-15, Longbow 2, USAF, IAF, 688(i), ATF Gold,
>> etc) plus a few classics like Descent 2, Comanche 3, Total Air War,
>> F/A-18
>> Korea, A-10 Cuba!, MiG Alley, among other's I'm sure.
>>
>> I just want the most stable drivers. Most of the driver descriptions note
>> Voodoo 3 but no mention of Voodoo 5. But maybe that doesn't matter?
>>
>> Thanks!

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in

> I am contemplating assembling an older Windows 98 PC for older flight
> sims. I have a Voodoo 5500 AGP video card and am wondering what are
> the best drivers to use? Voodoofiles.com has tons of drivers, but I
> hate to go through several before finding ones that work. I am mainly
> going to load all my old Jane's games on it (F-15, Longbow 2, USAF,
> IAF, 688(i), ATF Gold, etc) plus a few classics like Descent 2,
> Comanche 3, Total Air War, F/A-18 Korea, A-10 Cuba!, MiG Alley, among
> other's I'm sure.
>
> I just want the most stable drivers. Most of the driver descriptions
> note Voodoo 3 but no mention of Voodoo 5. But maybe that doesn't
> matter?
>
> Thanks!

HT,

Since you're gonna only play older games, the last drivers from 3dfx should
be fine. You really dont need any updated drivers.

Oh, and the Wicked drivers are for OpenGL, you wont need it for native
glide games.

--
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

"Chuck" <Nonyabiz@all.com> wrote in message

> Since you're gonna only play older games, the last drivers from 3dfx
> should
> be fine. You really dont need any updated drivers.

I agree with Chuck. Although I usually tried any of the newer hacked
drivers as they were released I always went back to the 1.04.01 -beta driver
from 3dfx.

The file I have is called "wicked_gl_reg.exe" and is dated 12/22/2000
(proably the date I downloaded it). Right clicking for Properties yields
two file sizes for some reason: "Size: 1.76 MB (1,847,117 bytes), Size On
Disk: 2.00 MB (2,097,152 bytes)".

Let me know if you want the file.

Hello mbeaver <mbeaver14@no.spam.cox.net> you wrote:

> I agree with Chuck. Although I usually tried any of the newer hacked
> drivers as they were released I always went back to the 1.04.01 -beta
> driver from 3dfx.

I've stayed with 1.04.00 and never have any problems.
I've sent you an email Hockey, if you want these drivers you are welcome to them.

V5_1.07.00-beta_update_VSWin9xME.exe
V5_Beta_drivers_vs-w9x-1.04.01-beta.exe
V5_DX8_drivers_vs-w9x-1.04.00.exe

If anyone else wants these I'll put them on a web site.

--
Regards, Bob

dancho

HockeyTownUSA wrote:
> I am contemplating assembling an older Windows 98 PC for older flight sims.
> I have a Voodoo 5500 AGP video card and am wondering what are the best
> drivers to use? Voodoofiles.com has tons of drivers, but I hate to go
> through several before finding ones that work. I am mainly going to load all
> my old Jane's games on it (F-15, Longbow 2, USAF, IAF, 688(i), ATF Gold,
> etc) plus a few classics like Descent 2, Comanche 3, Total Air War, F/A-18
> Korea, A-10 Cuba!, MiG Alley, among other's I'm sure.
>
> I just want the most stable drivers. Most of the driver descriptions note
> Voodoo 3 but no mention of Voodoo 5. But maybe that doesn't matter?
>
> Thanks!

I have an old Athlon/VIA chipset combo. For my system, the only Voodoo
5 drivers that work are the Omega 1.03. Here's a link:

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

TRENDING THREADS