Sign in with
Your question

Two Wireless Routers with Different Security Settings?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 4, 2012 9:34:41 PM

Hello,

I have a wireless "N" network in my home that works fine for all my devices except one, my son's Nintendo DS.

Apparently it doesn't like the higher security settings I chose and in order to connect it wants me to lower my security settings, but I don't want to jeopardize the security of my files on the other devices on my network by lower the security settings.

What can I do in order to keep all my other devices highly secure but yet allow my son access to my home wireless network so he can connect his Nintendo DS?

Two routers running off of one modem still would drop my security to all devices because they all belong to the same network correct?

Security would be limited to the router with the lowest security settings correct?

It would be kind of like locking my front door to my house but leaving the back door wide open, correct?

I do have two routers, but again setting up one router off the same modem with lower settings is like leaving the back door wide open isn't it?

How can I configure my network to still keep my other devices highly secure but drop security settings for just the Nintendo DS to access my one network?

Thanks,

Bill
a b 8 Security
October 5, 2012 2:26:09 AM

billw3346 said:
Two routers running off of one modem still would drop my security to all devices because they all belong to the same network correct?

No, you can 'chain' them so that the DS router cannot see the rest of your network.

Connect the DS router to your modem, then connect your secure router to one of the DS router ports. If someone hacks into the DS router they will only be able to see the DS and your Internet connection.
m
l
October 5, 2012 1:06:14 PM

Some routers have the ability to run multiple SSID with different protection and different networks. You can also prevent routing between them. If your router does not have this you may be able to load dd-wrt firmware on it to get these features.
m
l
!