Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Motorola v551

Last response: in Brands
Share
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 12:26:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Hi all,

I am considering getting the v551. Most reviews indicate this is a
pretty good phone. However, several people are saying they get
horrible battery life. Like having to charge every night regardless of
use.

Is anyone here having this kind of problem?

I have an Nokia 5160 that I charge once a week, and don't want
to get a battery hog.

Mike

More about : motorola v551

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 1:26:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I have got my V551 last month. It's a pretty good phone. Battery goes
on for at least two days with bluetooth and a moderate use of camera
and palying midi file and mp3 files. Lot of nice features like
bluetooth, picture id, global phone, GRPS connectivity etc.. However,
speaker phone voice quality is not good enough. Moreover, your
personally downloaded ringtone will not play as loud as you want.
Overall it is a good phone. And i just paid $50 with new cingular plan.
So that's pretty cool too.

Milap

Mike Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am considering getting the v551. Most reviews indicate this is a
> pretty good phone. However, several people are saying they get
> horrible battery life. Like having to charge every night regardless
of
> use.
>
> Is anyone here having this kind of problem?
>
> I have an Nokia 5160 that I charge once a week, and don't want
> to get a battery hog.
>
> Mike
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 1:08:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

What plan?

Steve Fall

"milap" <info@stratusoft.com> wrote in message
news:1102962398.674817.159170@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>I have got my V551 last month. It's a pretty good phone. Battery goes
> on for at least two days with bluetooth and a moderate use of camera
> and palying midi file and mp3 files. Lot of nice features like
> bluetooth, picture id, global phone, GRPS connectivity etc.. However,
> speaker phone voice quality is not good enough. Moreover, your
> personally downloaded ringtone will not play as loud as you want.
> Overall it is a good phone. And i just paid $50 with new cingular plan.
> So that's pretty cool too.
>
> Milap
>
> Mike Smith wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am considering getting the v551. Most reviews indicate this is a
>> pretty good phone. However, several people are saying they get
>> horrible battery life. Like having to charge every night regardless
> of
>> use.
>>
>> Is anyone here having this kind of problem?
>>
>> I have an Nokia 5160 that I charge once a week, and don't want
>> to get a battery hog.
>>
>> Mike
>
Related resources
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:08:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I'm getting very horrible battery life with my V551. My supplier even
change my battey but it does the same thing... He said to me that the
guy at Motorola know the problem but the didn't know how to fix it
yet... I hope to have other news this week!




TDS wrote:
> What plan?
>
> Steve Fall
>
> "milap" <info@stratusoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1102962398.674817.159170@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>
>>I have got my V551 last month. It's a pretty good phone. Battery goes
>>on for at least two days with bluetooth and a moderate use of camera
>>and palying midi file and mp3 files. Lot of nice features like
>>bluetooth, picture id, global phone, GRPS connectivity etc.. However,
>>speaker phone voice quality is not good enough. Moreover, your
>>personally downloaded ringtone will not play as loud as you want.
>>Overall it is a good phone. And i just paid $50 with new cingular plan.
>>So that's pretty cool too.
>>
>>Milap
>>
>>Mike Smith wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I am considering getting the v551. Most reviews indicate this is a
>>>pretty good phone. However, several people are saying they get
>>>horrible battery life. Like having to charge every night regardless
>>
>>of
>>
>>>use.
>>>
>>>Is anyone here having this kind of problem?
>>>
>>>I have an Nokia 5160 that I charge once a week, and don't want
>>>to get a battery hog.
>>>
>>>Mike
>>
>
>
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 9:43:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

My V551 does just fine as far as battery life. I don't talk on it more
than 10 mins a day, but I only have to charge it once every 4
days...no more often than my old T720.


On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 22:08:51 -0600, "TDS" <sfall@tds.net> wrote:

>What plan?
>
>Steve Fall
>
>"milap" <info@stratusoft.com> wrote in message
>news:1102962398.674817.159170@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>>I have got my V551 last month. It's a pretty good phone. Battery goes
>> on for at least two days with bluetooth and a moderate use of camera
>> and palying midi file and mp3 files. Lot of nice features like
>> bluetooth, picture id, global phone, GRPS connectivity etc.. However,
>> speaker phone voice quality is not good enough. Moreover, your
>> personally downloaded ringtone will not play as loud as you want.
>> Overall it is a good phone. And i just paid $50 with new cingular plan.
>> So that's pretty cool too.
>>
>> Milap
>>
>> Mike Smith wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am considering getting the v551. Most reviews indicate this is a
>>> pretty good phone. However, several people are saying they get
>>> horrible battery life. Like having to charge every night regardless
>> of
>>> use.
>>>
>>> Is anyone here having this kind of problem?
>>>
>>> I have an Nokia 5160 that I charge once a week, and don't want
>>> to get a battery hog.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:19:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Power management of Bluetooth appears to be poor. It would probably take a
factory firmware update to improve it, if it's even possible.

In <WmjCd.31276$Us1.896914@wagner.videotron.net> on Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:08:25
-0500, FreddyDan <dbolduc99@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I'm getting very horrible battery life with my V551. My supplier even
>change my battey but it does the same thing... He said to me that the
>guy at Motorola know the problem but the didn't know how to fix it
>yet... I hope to have other news this week!
>
>TDS wrote:
>> What plan?
>>
>> Steve Fall
>>
>> "milap" <info@stratusoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:1102962398.674817.159170@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>>I have got my V551 last month. It's a pretty good phone. Battery goes
>>>on for at least two days with bluetooth and a moderate use of camera
>>>and palying midi file and mp3 files. Lot of nice features like
>>>bluetooth, picture id, global phone, GRPS connectivity etc.. However,
>>>speaker phone voice quality is not good enough. Moreover, your
>>>personally downloaded ringtone will not play as loud as you want.
>>>Overall it is a good phone. And i just paid $50 with new cingular plan.
>>>So that's pretty cool too.
>>>
>>>Milap
>>>
>>>Mike Smith wrote:
>>>
>>>>Hi all,
>>>>
>>>>I am considering getting the v551. Most reviews indicate this is a
>>>>pretty good phone. However, several people are saying they get
>>>>horrible battery life. Like having to charge every night regardless
>>>
>>>of
>>>
>>>>use.
>>>>
>>>>Is anyone here having this kind of problem?
>>>>
>>>>I have an Nokia 5160 that I charge once a week, and don't want
>>>>to get a battery hog.
>>>>
>>>>Mike
>>>
>>
>>

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 11:47:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:08:25 -0500, FreddyDan <dbolduc99@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I'm getting very horrible battery life with my V551. My supplier even
>change my battey but it does the same thing... He said to me that the
>guy at Motorola know the problem but the didn't know how to fix it
>yet... I hope to have other news this week!
>
>
>
>
I'm curious about this. With it off I can go three days. Maybe more
since I haven't let it run all the way down. I've only tried bluetooth
on for one day and it didn't seem to have a huge impact.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 9:46:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I have about 18 hours of battery life! Bluettoth off and no call (not
even opening the flip!) Maybe it's because of the supplier (Rogers) or
maybe I bought one of a bad batch...


dgk wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:08:25 -0500, FreddyDan <dbolduc99@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>
>>I'm getting very horrible battery life with my V551. My supplier even
>>change my battey but it does the same thing... He said to me that the
>>guy at Motorola know the problem but the didn't know how to fix it
>>yet... I hope to have other news this week!
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> I'm curious about this. With it off I can go three days. Maybe more
> since I haven't let it run all the way down. I've only tried bluetooth
> on for one day and it didn't seem to have a huge impact.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 10:35:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I had the same problems with my v551.
Cingular first replaced the phone because no cable would work on it for
transfers...
Then battery life was horrible.

They said it was my use but I insisted on a new battery and now it is much
better.

I get about 4 days with average use (30 minutes a day with bluetooth on).
The other battery didn't get 2 days.




On 1/5/05 1:46 PM, in article ___Cd.119179$7z.2614475@weber.videotron.net,
"FreddyDan" <dbolduc99@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have about 18 hours of battery life! Bluettoth off and no call (not
> even opening the flip!) Maybe it's because of the supplier (Rogers) or
> maybe I bought one of a bad batch...
>
>
> dgk wrote:
>> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:08:25 -0500, FreddyDan <dbolduc99@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> I'm getting very horrible battery life with my V551. My supplier even
>>> change my battey but it does the same thing... He said to me that the
>>> guy at Motorola know the problem but the didn't know how to fix it
>>> yet... I hope to have other news this week!
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> I'm curious about this. With it off I can go three days. Maybe more
>> since I haven't let it run all the way down. I've only tried bluetooth
>> on for one day and it didn't seem to have a huge impact.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 5:33:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I get about 30-35 hours of standby time with my Motorola V551.

It does not seem to matter how much I use the phone for talking, with
Bluetooth or web access (or all 3!). The phone consistently stops working
after about 30-35 hours. I also completed the full 12-24 hour initial
charge, then discharge, followed by the two 12-hour charges and discharges
in between that Motorola recommends.

The battery seems like a dud to me.

But I am hopeful that a new battery will fix the problem as it appears
that this has helped other V551 users.

--
Message posted via http://www.cellphonekb.com
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 6:16:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

My husband and I both just purchased a V551 and the battery lasts about
3 days on both. Mine goes a bit further since my husband uses his for
work. Of course, I am sure taking lots of pic's, video, games,etc.
would drain a battery pretty fast but we are really satisfied with
ours! No problems at all.


--
leeann44
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t159963.html
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:34:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"treaders via CellPhoneKB.com" <forum@CellPhoneKB.com> wrote in message news:<b8c6b0148b184681bbe4152ce696100b@CellPhoneKB.com>...
> I get about 30-35 hours of standby time with my Motorola V551.
>
> It does not seem to matter how much I use the phone for talking, with
> Bluetooth or web access (or all 3!). The phone consistently stops working
> after about 30-35 hours. I also completed the full 12-24 hour initial
> charge, then discharge, followed by the two 12-hour charges and discharges
> in between that Motorola recommends.
>
> The battery seems like a dud to me.
>
> But I am hopeful that a new battery will fix the problem as it appears
> that this has helped other V551 users.

I have the same problem. In fact we had three Motorola V551 phone. All
three were discharging the batteries within one or two days. We
replaced battery on one and replaced the other two phones. The result
is very discouraging. None of the phones lasts longer than 72 hours.
Usually, the battery suddenly dies within 2 days. I put all batteries
through the 24 hour charging cycles. Helps a little bit but it does
not make the phone work as it says in the specification.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 5:57:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Agreed. I recently purchased 2 new batteries for my Motorola V551 and I now
obtain around 72 hours battery life.

However, the specification at http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-
bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/phone_features.d2w/report?
prrfnbr=262367&prmenbr=126&phone_cgrfnbr=1 says "Provides up to 179 to 235
hours of standby time" (subject to the usual statement, "All talk and
standby times are quoted in Digital Mode, and are approximate. Battery
performance depends on network configuration, signal strength, operating
temperature, features selected, and voice, data and other application usage
patterns.")

72 hours is less than half of the lower number (179 hours) stated by
Motorola! It is very misleading.

I am using my V551 in Houston, Texas and the signal strength is very good.
I only use my V551 for a few minutes of talking each day and very little
else.

--
Message posted via http://www.cellphonekb.com
!