netscape 6.2 = so slow??

iamnowkatie

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Hi i'm a newbie and maybe this is in the wrong section but here goes.
With a K6 500, 128 meg sys and Win98, should Netscape 6.2 be as fast as 4.7? I upgraded from 4.7 to 6.2 and find loading web pages and expecially forum pages so much slower. Could this be due to 128 bit encryption activation and if so could I deactivate this in options/security somewhere?
This is what Win98 says about sys resources:
88% free after boot and my normal apps in background
81% with same plus Netscape 4.7
84% with same but Netscape 6.2 instead
What is going on here please?
All comments will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

You don't want to disable 128-bit encryption... most websites that require usernames/passwords to log in use 128-bit encrpytion. Netscape 6.2 is a bit slower, have no clue why... go back to 4.79 or use Internet Explorer 5.5 or 6.0. I know a lot of web pages just plain did not work with Netscape 6 when it came out... and some pages still do have problems. Your best bet is just to use Communicator 4.79 or IE.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
you can also try to use mozilla which has the same user interface as netscape 6.2. i tried it on my brothers computer and it seems faster than 6.2 but he's on an axp 1600+.

:eek: :frown: :mad: :eek: :redface: :cool: :lol: :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :)

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Ok! Thanks guys. My install of 4.7 does not have 128 ensryption and the download file for that update is most litely to large for my pissy 56k dialup :-((
Might then look into a Ie install or perhaps mozilla(would have to look threw my magazine cd demo collection to find that, damn dialup!)

ps: ya ya, i was iamnowkatie, no big deal :))

by Kyoto! Hello high waters! <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/wallpaper2/img/081101_s_katie.jpg" target="_new">Katie</A>