S.O.S.: Please help me obtaining that special house sound ..

Last response: in Home Audio
October 22, 2004 6:00:14 AM

Hey guys,

First and foremost, if anybody is remotely interested in teaming up
and boucing ideas and concepts back and forth with me please do so.

Alright, I am just beginning to get into remixing and producing
house/dance music but am facing a huge challenge: how do I obtain the
jazzy keyboard/piano sound found used by remixers such as David
Morales, Frankie Knuckles, and C&C Music Factory in the early to
mid-nineties?

I have literally experimented with various combinations chords
(playing 3 notes simultaneously) and cannot get that jazzy feel found
in those guys' sounds (or their respective keyboardists').

Currently I am using an inexpensive Yamaha keyboard connected to an
Alesis Nano Piano sound module.

Do I need a synthesizer I can tune like a piano and will that perhaps
give me the sound I need?

I realize part of this involves certain types of piano sounds, but
regardless of the type of sample I am using I should still be able to
come up with this "feel". This is so confusing!

Yes, I really admire what Robert Clivilles and David Cole
accomplished. Remixers, producers, lyric and song writers, wow, I
would shake their hands if I could.

Secondly, what are the types of house pianos used? Oh, while I'm at
it; what are the typical types of string sounds used in house and
disco recordings? I cannot find these samples anywhere, unless there
is some magical tweaking required.

Help!

Thank you,

David Estefan

DJ/Remixer/Aspiring Producer
Tampa, FL
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 3:40:30 PM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 02:00:14 -0700, DJ David Estefan wrote:

> Secondly, what are the types of house pianos used? Oh, while I'm at
> it; what are the typical types of string sounds used in house and
> disco recordings? I cannot find these samples anywhere, unless there
> is some magical tweaking required.

I think the Korg M1 piano was prety much the classic house piano sound.
There should be some samples of it on the net somewhere.
Possibly here...
http://www.hollowsun.com/vintage/m1/

Strings... The Ensoniq Mirage strings were popular for detroity stuff.
(Going back a few years here!) I would image most any synth strings would
work.
!