Security of wired connection to wirelss router

Sheaffer

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Hello,
My computer is directly wired to a wireless modem and an unsecured wirelss connection is available. Is the directly wired computer secure?

RealBeast

Titan
You are okay if you treat the wired connection like a public network, that setting in Windows is sufficient and would be the same as if your wireless were at Starbuck's or wherever.

Leaving your wireless unsecured is a bad idea though -- anyone nearby with the desire to could use you to download/upload pirated material and commit other crimes.

Sheaffer

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

Thank you for your response. There are two reasons for the unsecured router: 1) since a phone technician "fiddled" with the D-Link router I have been unable to connect my wife's ipad to the secure wireless connection and, 2) the Linksys router I have has an unsecured connection which I have been unable to delete? I should probably invest in a new wireless router.
Thanks again for your response.

RealBeast

Titan
For her iPad issue, he probably changed the wireless security type between WEP/WPA/WPA2, and the key type AES/PSK-TKIP and maybe the password; check to see that her settings for those match the router settings.

To clear up the issues on the Linksys, I would hard reset it with the reset button on the back and then manually set it up again correctly; and delete any networks on your computers that are no longer valid.

You might also check to see if there is an updated firmware for either router.