Desktop won't connect to Laptop

Kierenblade

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Hi All,

I have a desktop and a laptop connected to one router, my desktop is connected via ethernet wire and my laptop is connected via wireless.

Here's the problem, on my desktop under "Network" in the Windows Explorer, I can see my laptop's name as well as my desktop's name. But when I want to go into my laptop it says "Windows cannot access \\<laptop name>".

But, if I go onto my laptop and do the same thing, it works perfectly, no errors, no problems.

Both of them have their IPs automatically assigned as well as the DNS server address. Both have File Sharing enabled and both have Network Discovery enabled.

My desktop has Windows 7 64-bit and my laptop has Windows 8 Pro 64-bit. I have tried disabling both firewalls, no luck.

I used to be able to connect to my laptop, but now I can't. But I can connect to my desktop through my laptop.

Any help?
Thanks

EDIT: My router is a NETGEAR DGN2200

reckoner

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Its probably because your laptop has win 8 installed. Did this start after you installed win8? if you need it badly then i would say that u upgrade ur PC to win 8 as well or u can try asking microsoft support. I had a similar problem with an XP & a win7 PC

Btw i have the same setup of PC+LP+router & win7 on both. Yet 2 try win8. how is it?

Another thing you can do is install an FTP server software.

Kierenblade

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Its probably because your laptop has win 8 installed. Did this start after you installed win8? if you need it badly then i would say that u upgrade ur PC to win 8 as well or u can try asking microsoft support. I had a similar problem with an XP & a win7 PC
I had Windows 8 installed before this issue started.

Btw i have the same setup of PC+LP+router & win7 on both. Yet 2 try win8. how is it?
It feels like it's a tablet OS mixed with Windows. I personally don't use the Apps and stuff, just the desktop. And there are some improvements like more things more added to the Task Manager.

Another thing you can do is install an FTP server software.
I thought about it, but I would rather keep things the way they are, maybe I'll do that later.

reckoner

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
The message you got is usually shown when the one of the computers is turned off but it still shows in the network and u try to connect to it. Check that both of them have the same workgroup.

I don't know if this will help but you can try to explicitly mention the ip addresses of the 2 instead of auto obtain