Thrustmaster F22 + F16TQS & USB

Hello flyers,

Recently, for the first time in several years I felt the urge to play
some games / sims.

I dug out and de-dusted my old, trusty set of Thrustmaster
F22/SW-Digital + F16TQS. The problem is that im meanwhile my machine
has no Gameport.

Would a Digitaly updated F22 work fully with Gameport->USB converters
or should I get an addon Gameport card?

A Cougar surely looks sweet but since I am not a hardcore gamer
anymore I can hardly justify the investment :(

Kind Regards

Kirill
When replying via E-Mail, please remove duplicate
"@" from the address.

Bei Antwort via E-Mail, bitte doppelter "@" aus der
Addresse herausnehmen.

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:41:44 +0200, Kirill Ponazdyr
<ng1@@codeangels.com> wrote:

>Hello flyers,
>
>Recently, for the first time in several years I felt the urge to play
>some games / sims.
>
>I dug out and de-dusted my old, trusty set of Thrustmaster
>F22/SW-Digital + F16TQS. The problem is that im meanwhile my machine
>has no Gameport.
>
>Would a Digitaly updated F22 work fully with Gameport->USB converters
>or should I get an addon Gameport card?
>
>A Cougar surely looks sweet but since I am not a hardcore gamer
>anymore I can hardly justify the investment :(

Before you decide to buy something, check if your motherboard doesn't
have a gameport connector. If so, for a few bucks you can buy the
extender so you can connect your F22....

Cheers!

Remco

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:41:44 +0200, Kirill Ponazdyr
<ng1@@codeangels.com> wrote:

Hello Kirill,

> Would a Digitaly updated F22 work fully with Gameport->USB
> converters..

No. The signals that the stick sends won't go through the converter at
all.

> ..or should I get an addon Gameport card?

That's about all you can do (except that there aren't any gameport
cards<g>). You need to find a soundcard that's got a gameport on it
and use that. On some of them, you can disable the sound card portion
if you like the sound you've got, then it essentially becomes just a
gameport.

Also, be sure and check the motherboard manufacturer as Remco
suggests. In some cases, the chipset does have a gameport, it's just
not really brought out to the rear panel. Usually it just takes some
sort of cable, the manufacturer should be able to tell you.

Best regards,

- Bob

The StickWorks
http://www.stickworks.com

Bob Church wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:41:44 +0200, Kirill Ponazdyr
> <ng1@@codeangels.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Kirill,
>

>>Would a Digitaly updated F22 work fully with Gameport->USB
>>converters..
>

> No. The signals that the stick sends won't go through the converter at
> all.
>

>>..or should I get an addon Gameport card?
>

> That's about all you can do (except that there aren't any gameport
> cards<g>). You need to find a soundcard that's got a gameport on it
> and use that. On some of them, you can disable the sound card portion
> if you like the sound you've got, then it essentially becomes just a
> gameport.
>
> Also, be sure and check the motherboard manufacturer as Remco
> suggests. In some cases, the chipset does have a gameport, it's just
> not really brought out to the rear panel. Usually it just takes some
> sort of cable, the manufacturer should be able to tell you.
>
> Best regards,
>
> - Bob
>
> The StickWorks
> http://www.stickworks.com

Actually, Thrustmaster once made a game port specific card. Probably
hard to find a used one now.

Eric

If you're talking about the ACM, scarcity isn't the problem. The ACM
is an old ISA card, and I'm not even sure it'll fit any of today's
motherboards. I'm getting a dual-connector gameport-USB adapter.

On Thu, 05 May 2005 11:29:50 -0400, Eric Joiner
<ejoiner2@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Hi Eric,

> Actually, Thrustmaster once made a game port specific card. Probably
> hard to find a used one now.

Yeah. They sell on eBay for about $1 if you really want one. The
problem is nobody ever made one for a PCI slot as far as I know.
They're all ISA. If you've still got an ISA slot, there's no problem
at all. :)

Good to see you're still around!

Best regards,

- Bob

The StickWorks
http://www.stickworks.com

On Thu, 05 May 2005 19:39:17 GMT, Bob Church wrote:

>On Thu, 05 May 2005 11:29:50 -0400, Eric Joiner
><ejoiner2@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>> Actually, Thrustmaster once made a game port specific card. Probably
>> hard to find a used one now.
>
>Yeah. They sell on eBay for about $1 if you really want one. The
>problem is nobody ever made one for a PCI slot as far as I know.
>They're all ISA. If you've still got an ISA slot, there's no problem
>at all. :)

Save your dollar - I have TWO you can have for free! They are,
however- as the meister said - ISA [cough]. I keep them with my
Tornado box <ggggg>.

Adamski.

Bob Church wrote:
> On Thu, 05 May 2005 11:29:50 -0400, Eric Joiner

> Good to see you're still around!

Only the good die young...the rest get bored.

Im still here and your advice still needed!

Best,
Eric

Bob Church wrote:
> On Thu, 05 May 2005 11:29:50 -0400, Eric Joiner

> Good to see you're still around!

Only the good die young...the rest get bored.

Im still here and your advice still needed!

Best,
Eric

It doesn't get much cheaper than this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829117104 unless you
can find a computer store that has used parts like an old soundblaster 16
pci.

Dirk

"Eric Joiner" <ejoiner2@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Bob Church wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 May 2005 11:29:50 -0400, Eric Joiner
>
>> Good to see you're still around!
>
> Only the good die young...the rest get bored.
>

> Im still here and your advice still needed!
>
> Best,
> Eric

Gag!! I finally got it, and it doesn't work. It barely recognizes the
joystick. and completely ignores rudder and throttle. Looks like I'll
be getting a new sound card.

On Sat, 28 May 2005 04:11:48 GMT, Eric Joiner <ejoiner2@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Bob Church wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:41:44 +0200, Kirill Ponazdyr
>> <ng1@@codeangels.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Kirill,
>>

>>>Would a Digitaly updated F22 work fully with Gameport->USB
>>>converters..
>>

>> No. The signals that the stick sends won't go through the converter at
>> all.
>>

>>>..or should I get an addon Gameport card?
>>

>> That's about all you can do (except that there aren't any gameport
>> cards<g>). You need to find a soundcard that's got a gameport on it
>> and use that. On some of them, you can disable the sound card portion
>> if you like the sound you've got, then it essentially becomes just a
>> gameport.
>>
>> Also, be sure and check the motherboard manufacturer as Remco
>> suggests. In some cases, the chipset does have a gameport, it's just
>> not really brought out to the rear panel. Usually it just takes some
>> sort of cable, the manufacturer should be able to tell you.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> - Bob
>>
>> The StickWorks
>> http://www.stickworks.com
>
>Actually, Thrustmaster once made a game port specific card. Probably
>hard to find a used one now.
>
>Eric

I agree with all of the above. Especially the part about a gameport
is needed. I have an old ACM card (somewhere in my mess) but haven't
used it for years. Much prefer using the Gameport that's incorporated
on my old sound card. No longer remember why that preference, but
there was sufficient need that I bought a new sound card just for the
purpose. It was not the need for ISA card, since I do have an old MB
with one ISA slot.

Oh, Oh, that may be incorrect - at the time I was using a modem that
tied up my ISA slot, so probably that forced me to retire the ACM
card!! Someday in the near future I'll have to face up to all this
hot shot new stuff that obsoletes what I use now. Damn!

Olin

It was an ISA (8-bit) card and will not work with any motherboard
manufactured now. The only way to add a gameport now is by using a sound
card. To my knowledge, there are no PCI gameport cards.

Jay Williams wrote:
> It was an ISA (8-bit) card and will not work with any motherboard
> manufactured now. The only way to add a gameport now is by using a sound
> card. To my knowledge, there are no PCI gameport cards.

Which pretty much matches with what I know. I bought a PCI soundcard
yesterday, and plan to install it tonight. Hopefully I'll have a happy
report by then.

TRENDING THREADS