Questions about wireless routers(home use)

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I currently have a Netgear(Modem Router) DG834G. It came together with my package that i purchased with a certain UK ISP around three years ago now.
My package included a 'up to'(if i can remember rightly) around 16-18Mbit/s(download) and (based on speedtest.net) 0.8-1.2Mbit/s(upload).

My question is:

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Pressed something accidentally and it just posted.

My question is:
1. If i buy a router like a Belkin N600, its advertised as "300mbs", does that mean that it can handle up to that speed? So my 18Mbit/s internet will not have a problem with this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005626U9W/ref=nosim/6553229-rg4277-21

2. My internet is running on my phoneline and NOT fibre optic. Will this Belkin N600 be suitable or is there different versions for phoneline and fibre optic? Are the connections, the (as is says on my router atm) ADSL port thesame as fibre optic ones?

3. If i do buy the N600, will i just remove my current router now and replace it with the N600? Will i need to configure the internet connections setting for my ISP through the router settings?

4. What if i buy two routers. One will be downstairs and one upstairs, as each room in my house has a telephone line socket, obviously both will have the 'filter'. Will my internet be halfed, so 9Mbit/s(max) on one router and 9Mbit/s(max) on the other? Any problems with doing this?

5. Any other router out there <£100 that are good and you guys would recommend? Ideally needs to be 802.11n

reckoner

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
1> It can handle up to that speed but ensure that your ISP provides it. No use otherwise

2>N600 is for ADSL.

3>You will only have to configure your new router. copy the settings from your present one

4> You probably won't be able to use 2 modems on 1 phone line simultaneously!
this router will cover 2 floors i think

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Is the internet input connection for a fibre optic different to an ADSL one?

Yes, sure it does cover the floors but what im after is that, even if the router downstairs is swtiched off i can still have a router upstairs (formyself) that is switched on and good to be used for my PC.
If its cant be done on a phone line, can it be done on fibre optic?

reckoner

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
as far as i know they have different ports. since fibre optic uses well... optical fibre while adsl uses copper wire. So if you want to use fibre optic broadband then this modem+router will be useless.

about using 2 routers, what you can do is use 1 modem-router at the telephone line and take a lan wire from this router's lan port and connect it to another modemless router. it will take a long lan cable though!

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Okay scrap that N600, how about this:
Netgear N600(DGND3700) http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/DGND3700.aspx#two
Just been looking at it and unless im totally wrong, this router can handle both ADSL and Fibre Optic? -obviosly whenever you(I in my case) upgrade to Fibre.

Netgear N600(WNDR3700) http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/WNDR3700.aspx#two
There's this too, correct me if im wrong but what i understand from this is it can ONLY handle the ADSL therefore making Fibre obselete whenever i will be able to access it, correcT?

Yes, ive thought of this before but this beats my objective, If the router is turned off downstairs where the long LAN cable's from then i will not have access to internet anyway upstairs, correct? haha

reckoner

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Look the basic thing is wether you want a router or a modemrouter. if u're gonna use optical fibre brdband in future buy a router like DGND3700. if u plan to continue with telephone(ADSL) brdband use a modemrouter.

About the 2router setup, u can keep the modem router in your room and the router downstairs. alternately buy a wireless repeater or a range extender. u can't use 2 modemrouters wid 1 phone connection simultaneously.