Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mackie 1202 (non vlz) or Tapco 6306?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 8:29:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Mackie 1202 (non vlz) or Tapco 6306?

I need a small format mixer for live gigs and I can't decide between the
two. I know its kind of splitting hairs, but I'm worried about these chinese
made mixers and haven't had the chance to actually touch one.

I can get an older Mackie off ebay for the same price as a new Tapco. They
both would serve my needs. Anyone used both? Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks.
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 1:42:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <Izaed.272$Ae3.241@trndny02> seedmuse@verizon.net writes:

> Mackie 1202 (non vlz) or Tapco 6306?
>
> I need a small format mixer for live gigs and I can't decide between the
> two. I know its kind of splitting hairs, but I'm worried about these chinese
> made mixers and haven't had the chance to actually touch one.
>
> I can get an older Mackie off ebay for the same price as a new Tapco.

I'd go for the TAPCO. It's ten years newer technology, it comes with a
warranty, and you never know what you're really going to get from an
eBay seller until you have it in your hands and if there's anything
wrong with it, the seller probably knows that and will give you a hard
time taking it back and returning your money.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 10:27:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Matthew Pierce wrote:

> Mackie 1202 (non vlz) or Tapco 6306?

> I need a small format mixer for live gigs and I can't decide between the
> two. I know its kind of splitting hairs, but I'm worried about these chinese
> made mixers and haven't had the chance to actually touch one.

> I can get an older Mackie off ebay for the same price as a new Tapco. They
> both would serve my needs. Anyone used both? Anyone have an opinion?

While I've been using a "vintage" 1202 for a long time I'd not suggest
you buy mine nor any other old one. They wear out, like you'd expect for
a cheap mixer. I'm on the verge of needing to pop mine open and see if
some <j> WD40 </j> will help the pots. If not it's probably going to be
history a year from now.

That said, you might want better EQ for live, depending on your style of
music, and though they cost more, the Mackie Onyx series is a whole new
ballpark for that.

--
ha
Related resources
October 24, 2004 7:08:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 23 Oct 2004, walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich) wrote in
news:1gm3uzq.wuavy110gdj7N%walkinay@thegrid.net:

> While I've been using a "vintage" 1202 for a long time I'd not
> suggest you buy mine nor any other old one. They wear out, like
> you'd expect for a cheap mixer. I'm on the verge of needing to pop
> mine open and see if some <j> WD40 </j> will help the pots. If not
> it's probably going to be history a year from now.

My good ol' 1202 developed some problem where the output section
distorted badly. Mackie refurbished it for about $100 - they fixed the
scratchy pots, too. Now, about 2 1/2 years later, the pots are getting
scratchy again. I probably won't have it fixed again.
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 6:19:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <Xns958BEB6834171nilch1@216.148.227.77> rednoise@REMOVETHIScomcast.net writes:

> My good ol' 1202 developed some problem where the output section
> distorted badly. Mackie refurbished it for about $100 - they fixed the
> scratchy pots, too. Now, about 2 1/2 years later, the pots are getting
> scratchy again. I probably won't have it fixed again.

That's a good service life, and it's probably reasonable to decide to
retire it now rather than get it fixed again. It's like a car. When
it's 15 years old and needs $2,000 worth of work to get it back to
working smoothly but that doesn't replace all the parts, you have to
decide if it's worth putting the money into it just to see what will
fail next or replace it. There are some of each kind of people.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
October 25, 2004 8:19:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 24 Oct 2004, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote in
news:znr1098620504k@trad:

> That's a good service life, and it's probably reasonable to decide
> to retire it now rather than get it fixed again. It's like a car.
> When it's 15 years old and needs $2,000 worth of work to get it
> back to working smoothly but that doesn't replace all the parts,
> you have to decide if it's worth putting the money into it just to
> see what will fail next or replace it. There are some of each kind
> of people.

Don't think that I'm not satisfied! I think I've gotten PLENTY of use
out of what I spent on the 1202. Definitely got my money's worth. As I
said, I would probably not spend another $100 on this, but I will
certainly consider getting another small Mackie mixer when this one
needs to be replaced.

Not really about the same subject, but I'm looking at my old
Harman/Kardon receiver that powers my computer's sound. I bought it in
about 1976. I never bother to turn it off... it's been powered on
constantly for about the last 6 years. Works PERfectly, outside of some
scratchy pots and switches. This has got to be the most reliable
electronic device I've ever owned.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 10:18:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <Xns958D7D715AD2Fnilch1@204.127.199.17> rednoise@REMOVETHIScomcast.net writes:

> Not really about the same subject, but I'm looking at my old
> Harman/Kardon receiver that powers my computer's sound. I bought it in
> about 1976. I never bother to turn it off... it's been powered on
> constantly for about the last 6 years. Works PERfectly, outside of some
> scratchy pots and switches. This has got to be the most reliable
> electronic device I've ever owned.

My boss on the first job I had after college in 1965 used to talk
about "television set reliability." He said that if we could build
whatever we were building at the time to be as reliable as a
television set, he'd be happy, and so would the customers.

Honestly, I've had very few failures of audio equipment, and most of
those have been power supplies, easy to fix. Of course when a piece of
contemporary gear fails, it's most likely not cost effective to
repair.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 4:17:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> That said, you might want better EQ for live, depending on your style of
> music, and though they cost more, the Mackie Onyx series is a whole new
> ballpark for that.
>
Tell more about the Mackie Onyx and EQ please, as compared to the VLZ pro
series... Thanks
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 4:17:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

John F wrote:
>> That said, you might want better EQ for live, depending on your style of
>> music, and though they cost more, the Mackie Onyx series is a whole new
>> ballpark for that.
>
>
> Tell more about the Mackie Onyx and EQ please, as compared to the VLZ pro
> series...

On all but the smallest Onyx, there are two sweepable mids and an EQ bypass switch. The EQ sounds pretty decent. Both of these are major improvements over previous Mackie boards.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 12:47:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
>John F wrote:
>>> That said, you might want better EQ for live, depending on your style of
>>> music, and though they cost more, the Mackie Onyx series is a whole new
>>> ballpark for that.
>>
>> Tell more about the Mackie Onyx and EQ please, as compared to the VLZ pro
>> series...
>
>On all but the smallest Onyx, there are two sweepable mids and an EQ bypass switch. The EQ sounds pretty decent. Both of these are major improvements over previous Mackie boards.

No Q control, though?
The EQ bypass is a really wonderful idea, though, and it's one of the things
that have driven me up the wall about earlier Mackie boards.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 12:47:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
>
>> John F wrote:
>>
>>>> That said, you might want better EQ for live, depending on your style of
>>>> music, and though they cost more, the Mackie Onyx series is a whole new
>>>> ballpark for that.
>>>
>>> Tell more about the Mackie Onyx and EQ please, as compared to the VLZ pro
>>> series...
>>
>> On all but the smallest Onyx, there are two sweepable mids and an EQ bypass switch. The EQ sounds pretty decent. Both of these are major improvements over previous Mackie boards.
>
>
> No Q control, though?

Whaddaya want for $660?



> The EQ bypass is a really wonderful idea, though, and it's one of the things
> that have driven me up the wall about earlier Mackie boards.

Yes, flat is now flat.

They seem to have incorporated most of the LSC Canada mods (sans the tone oscillator and 12V power option) making it a passable low budget location board.

Balanced (well, impedance balanced anyway) direct outs on DB-25's for recording are rather handy as well. Haven't tried the 1394 card yet but finding out that Echo dedigned it makes me a little more confident.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 2:52:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <30npojF338rguU1@uni-berlin.de> kurt@nv.net writes:

> They seem to have incorporated most of the LSC Canada mods (sans the tone
> oscillator and 12V power option)

Whuzzis?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 2:52:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <30npojF338rguU1@uni-berlin.de> kurt@nv.net writes:
>
>
>> They seem to have incorporated most of the LSC Canada mods (sans the tone
>> oscillator and 12V power option)
>
>
> Whuzzis?

Location Sound Corporation in Vancouver has been modifying 1402's for field production <http://locationsound.ca/mixe.html#mima&gt;
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 9:47:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <30p9f2F33ngbuU3@uni-berlin.de> kurt@nv.net writes:

> Location Sound Corporation in Vancouver has been modifying 1402's for field
> production <http://locationsound.ca/mixe.html#mima&gt;

Interesting, but their added features aren't things I need. Good
resource, though, and apparently they think highly enough of the 1402
to bother selling it to customers who usually work with boutique-level
gear.



--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 9:48:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <30p9f2F33ngbuU3@uni-berlin.de> kurt@nv.net writes:
>
>
>> Location Sound Corporation in Vancouver has been modifying 1402's for field
>> production <http://locationsound.ca/mixe.html#mima&gt;
>
>
> Interesting, but their added features aren't things I need.

The Onyx has talkback and individual channel meterlets which are things I did need. I would like to hack up a 12V power solution but I don't have the time right now.




> apparently they think highly enough of the 1402 to bother
> selling it to customers who usually work with boutique-level gear

Most of the sales are probably to guys who just got a job bigger than their bag mixer can handle and don't yet have the income stream to support the typical $8-15k location board. The Mackie name is not exactly a career enhancer in the location sound business but for certain jobs it meets the needs and budget.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 12:32:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
>Mike Rivers wrote:
>> In article <30p9f2F33ngbuU3@uni-berlin.de> kurt@nv.net writes:
>>
>>> Location Sound Corporation in Vancouver has been modifying 1402's for field
>>> production <http://locationsound.ca/mixe.html#mima&gt;
>>
>> Interesting, but their added features aren't things I need.
>
>The Onyx has talkback and individual channel meterlets which are things I did need. I would like to hack up a 12V power solution but I don't have the time right now.

I thought I would need the individual channel meters, but to be honest I have
been surprised at how much information the "signal present" light provides. I
can do a really good job of judging rough levels with those.

Talkback... well, if the console doesn't do it, you use an outboard metering
section.

>> apparently they think highly enough of the 1402 to bother
>> selling it to customers who usually work with boutique-level gear
>
>Most of the sales are probably to guys who just got a job bigger than their bag mixer can handle and don't yet have the income stream to support the typical $8-15k location board. The Mackie name is not exactly a career enhancer in the location sound business but for certain jobs it meets the needs and budget.

There really isn't anything else built to fit that market. For a while, there
were some Sony battery-powered mixers that you saw there, but I have not seen
one of those in years.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
!