Should I buy windows 8?

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hello

I will build a new computer soon.
Is Windows 8 worth it? Will it run my old games, like WOW, Warcraft III, Starcraft, Diablo II, etc.

What's the difference between 8 and 7 besides the touch screen interface?

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

NO.

It's horrible for desktop use. On smartphones/Tablets it's great, because it was developed solely for touch-screen usage to begin with. On desktops it sucks heavily.
Better use Windows 7.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
It is actually a nice OS once you get used to the Start Screen. Just remember you can always click the desktop app on the start menu to go to the desktop.

WOW works just fine as does Diablo II on Windows 8.

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Yes, it still is..not as much as at first, but it still is. When I have to work on a machine that has windows 8, the first first thing I think is..oh crap, windows 8.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Take a couple deep breaths and remember that it is only a start screen and 4 hot corners. The desktop works the same (ok you have to right click the "start button zone" to get to the admin tools).

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

One can assume that when he builds his new computer it will need a full version OS. The 30 bucks version was just the upgrade and can't be used on a new computer.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Unless you have an awesome touchscreen monitor (and actually want to start using its features) I'd say no, skip W8! It's not as bad as some think - but it's not worth it either with a conventional PC setup.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Cry me a river.

That's exactly what I said, lol.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Why would I cry you a river? I am not the one with the unresolved emotions about Windows 8. I have been running it since the developers preview. Start Screen and all. I don't have a touch screen, and yes it is easier to use on my Surface. But once you learn how to use the hot corners and start screen. How to go to start and just start typing to search. Using the charms menu or right clicking the lower left hot corner to get to system tools.

You can still pin things to your task bar on the desktop. You can rearrange your start screen (something that you can't do in Windows 7).

You can uninstall the Live tiles if they bug you sooooo much.

That Task manager is greatly improved in Windows 8.

All my games work just fine including the old DOS games.

And since I am running Windows 8 Pro x64, if I do find need to run something that will only run on XP I will just install XP as a virtual machine using the built-in Hyper-V manager.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
You can keep advertising it as much as you want, man. You're not fooling anyone.
You basically lie to yourself when you're trying to justify for others it's usage on the desktop. You can make up as many excuses as you want for this POS, it won't help it even one bit.

jthill909

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
This thread has kinda gone off the deep end, but here's my opinion.

I love Win8. The boot speed alone is so much better in 8. From a cold boot, I'm in the OS in less than 30s and I am using a HD. I also don't use the Metro interface. I installed Start8 and you'll never see the Metro start menu, only unless you want to. Win7 is also not being supported anymore and Win8 will continue to get support for the next few years. I've never had any compatibility issues with drivers or software not working either. The people that hate on 8 have either never used it or are too ignorant to realize that Win8 is Win7, but with more features and better performance. Hope this helps.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Sizzling:
Nobody's talking about Surface, man.
Only about version for desktop. I absolutely don't mind Windows 8 on Tablets and Smartphones, because THESE ARE THE PLATFORMS IT WAS MADE FOR.
On those platforms it works fabulously and I'll personally recommend Windows 8-based Tablet/Smartphone for anyone and any day.

But NOT for desktop usage. People who try to justify desktop usage of Windows 8 are either absolutely biased advertisers, or simply haven't had anything else before it AT ALL.

Eugen M

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
if you own either a desktop or a normal laptop then windows 8 its not only about it beying unintuitive but also hinders production pretty much every interaction on windows 8 is comparatively slower to windows 7, that includes things like doing a simple search, closing down applications, starting them and more...
No matter how pretty MS attempts to make win8 look by adding childish coloured rectangles and call them tiles or adding ugly shortcuts to some random phone os bar and call it charms, if you look at it objectively i think its easy to realise theres nothing special about win8 that would make you switch from 7. its gadget UI has no place in the pc busines in my opinion.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
master_chen, try to understand though that the OP is trying to gather facts, and it's really hard to stay objective about feelings - well, that's a contradiction in itself I guess. I hate Windows 8, I truly do. It not only feels wrong, it is wrong. The execution of the idea is flawed because it was a corporate decision based on business projections, not on technical merit. OK I guess my comment is full of contradictions but whatever - I can't say to the OP to not get Windows 8 so I tired to focus in on the one very obvious flaw of 8 - that without a touch surface, it's like using a broken Windows 7 - so why not just stick with the good Windows 7. That's all. I hate Windows 8, oh God I hate it so much...

Windows 8 Haters of the World, UNITE!