Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I buy windows 8?

Last response: in Windows 8
February 20, 2013 1:36:44 PM

Hello

I will build a new computer soon.
Is Windows 8 worth it? Will it run my old games, like WOW, Warcraft III, Starcraft, Diablo II, etc.

What's the difference between 8 and 7 besides the touch screen interface?

More about : buy windows

February 20, 2013 2:00:59 PM

g335 said:
Is Windows 8 worth it?

NO.

It's horrible for desktop use. On smartphones/Tablets it's great, because it was developed solely for touch-screen usage to begin with. On desktops it sucks heavily.
Better use Windows 7.
m
l
February 20, 2013 2:04:21 PM

It's very frustrating at first.
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
February 20, 2013 2:07:04 PM

It is actually a nice OS once you get used to the Start Screen. Just remember you can always click the desktop app on the start menu to go to the desktop.

WOW works just fine as does Diablo II on Windows 8.
m
l
February 20, 2013 2:16:34 PM

larrym said:
At first.

And later too...and later...and later...
m
l
February 20, 2013 2:20:36 PM

master_chen said:
And later too...and later...and later...

Yes, it still is..not as much as at first, but it still is. When I have to work on a machine that has windows 8, the first first thing I think is..oh crap, windows 8.
m
l
February 20, 2013 2:27:29 PM

LOL, is this some kind of deliberate masochism? Because no one in the entire world can talk me into sitting on that deliberately. I'd rather use Windows ME from scratch. %)
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 20, 2013 2:33:52 PM

master_chen said:
LOL, is this some kind of deliberate masochism? Because no one in the entire world can talk me into sitting on that deliberately. %)

Take a couple deep breaths and remember that it is only a start screen and 4 hot corners. The desktop works the same (ok you have to right click the "start button zone" to get to the admin tools).
m
l
February 20, 2013 2:39:01 PM

You missed the boat, could have bought it in january for 30 bucks
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 20, 2013 2:42:44 PM

rheg915 said:
You missed the boat, could have bought it in january for 30 bucks

One can assume that when he builds his new computer it will need a full version OS. The 30 bucks version was just the upgrade and can't be used on a new computer.
m
l
February 20, 2013 2:47:00 PM

Unless you have an awesome touchscreen monitor (and actually want to start using its features) I'd say no, skip W8! It's not as bad as some think - but it's not worth it either with a conventional PC setup.
m
l
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 20, 2013 2:47:04 PM

I would not use windows 8 personally think it's garbage.However there are members here that like it so you might want to wait for more replies.
m
l

Best solution

February 20, 2013 2:51:40 PM

Aside from its lake of Aero Glass, I like it.
a b * Windows 8
February 20, 2013 2:53:28 PM

JasonAkkerman said:
Aside from its lake of Aero Glass, I like it.

Just Glass is missing. Peek, Shake and Snap are all still in Windows 8
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 20, 2013 2:56:09 PM

Start8 or Classic Shell and you won't ever see the tiles again or hot corners unless you want to and get your start button back with all the options.
m
l
February 20, 2013 3:02:05 PM

kyllien said:
Just Glass is missing. Peek, Shake and Snap are all still in Windows 8

I miss the [Win-Key] + [TAB] then most... that was always fun.
m
l
February 20, 2013 3:02:46 PM

kyllien said:
Blah-blah-blah.

Cry me a river.

omnimodis78 said:
Unless you have an awesome touchscreen monitor (and actually want to start using it's features) I'd say no!
It's not as bad as some think - but it's not worth it either with a conventional PC setup.

That's exactly what I said, lol.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 20, 2013 3:12:10 PM

master_chen said:
Cry me a river.

That's exactly what I said, lol.

Why would I cry you a river? I am not the one with the unresolved emotions about Windows 8. I have been running it since the developers preview. Start Screen and all. I don't have a touch screen, and yes it is easier to use on my Surface. But once you learn how to use the hot corners and start screen. How to go to start and just start typing to search. Using the charms menu or right clicking the lower left hot corner to get to system tools.

You can still pin things to your task bar on the desktop. You can rearrange your start screen (something that you can't do in Windows 7).

You can uninstall the Live tiles if they bug you sooooo much.

That Task manager is greatly improved in Windows 8.

All my games work just fine including the old DOS games.

And since I am running Windows 8 Pro x64, if I do find need to run something that will only run on XP I will just install XP as a virtual machine using the built-in Hyper-V manager.

m
l
February 20, 2013 3:57:51 PM

You can keep advertising it as much as you want, man. You're not fooling anyone.
You basically lie to yourself when you're trying to justify for others it's usage on the desktop. You can make up as many excuses as you want for this POS, it won't help it even one bit.
m
l
February 20, 2013 4:09:01 PM

I agree with Kyllien. I like it now I have got used to it but I have been helped by having a Surface.
m
l
February 20, 2013 4:12:02 PM

This thread has kinda gone off the deep end, but here's my opinion.

I love Win8. The boot speed alone is so much better in 8. From a cold boot, I'm in the OS in less than 30s and I am using a HD. I also don't use the Metro interface. I installed Start8 and you'll never see the Metro start menu, only unless you want to. Win7 is also not being supported anymore and Win8 will continue to get support for the next few years. I've never had any compatibility issues with drivers or software not working either. The people that hate on 8 have either never used it or are too ignorant to realize that Win8 is Win7, but with more features and better performance. Hope this helps.
m
l
February 20, 2013 4:13:35 PM

Sizzling:
Nobody's talking about Surface, man.
Only about version for desktop. I absolutely don't mind Windows 8 on Tablets and Smartphones, because THESE ARE THE PLATFORMS IT WAS MADE FOR.
On those platforms it works fabulously and I'll personally recommend Windows 8-based Tablet/Smartphone for anyone and any day.

But NOT for desktop usage. People who try to justify desktop usage of Windows 8 are either absolutely biased advertisers, or simply haven't had anything else before it AT ALL.
m
l
February 20, 2013 4:30:03 PM

if you own either a desktop or a normal laptop then windows 8 its not only about it beying unintuitive but also hinders production pretty much every interaction on windows 8 is comparatively slower to windows 7, that includes things like doing a simple search, closing down applications, starting them and more...
No matter how pretty MS attempts to make win8 look by adding childish coloured rectangles and call them tiles or adding ugly shortcuts to some random phone os bar and call it charms, if you look at it objectively i think its easy to realise theres nothing special about win8 that would make you switch from 7. its gadget UI has no place in the pc busines in my opinion.
m
l
February 20, 2013 4:33:27 PM

What nobody else has mentioned is that to get a traditional start menu you have to use 3rd party software. There is no traditional start menu built into the OS.
m
l
February 20, 2013 4:48:01 PM

master_chen, try to understand though that the OP is trying to gather facts, and it's really hard to stay objective about feelings - well, that's a contradiction in itself I guess. I hate Windows 8, I truly do. It not only feels wrong, it is wrong. The execution of the idea is flawed because it was a corporate decision based on business projections, not on technical merit. OK I guess my comment is full of contradictions but whatever - I can't say to the OP to not get Windows 8 so I tired to focus in on the one very obvious flaw of 8 - that without a touch surface, it's like using a broken Windows 7 - so why not just stick with the good Windows 7. That's all. I hate Windows 8, oh God I hate it so much...

Windows 8 Haters of the World, UNITE!
m
l
February 20, 2013 4:49:43 PM

DiaSin said:
What nobody else has mentioned is that to get a traditional start menu you have to use 3rd party software. There is no traditional start menu built into the OS.

Well, technically there is, it's the Start Screen, that is the start menu. But yes, not in the traditional sense.
m
l
February 20, 2013 4:58:10 PM

jthill909 said:

I love Win8. The boot speed alone is so much better in 8. From a cold boot, I'm in the OS in less than 30s and I am using a HD. I also don't use the Metro interface. I installed Start8 and you'll never see the Metro start menu, only unless you want to. Win7 is also not being supported anymore and Win8 will continue to get support for the next few years. I've never had any compatibility issues with drivers or software not working either. The people that hate on 8 have either never used it or are too ignorant to realize that Win8 is Win7, but with more features and better performance. Hope this helps.

I also like Win 8. a 30s boot for me is really slow- after BIOS, its more like 10s, maybe less. And the tiles are OK- has all the info I care about right there immediately. To use apps, I still usually go to the Desktop. Some of the tiles launch the desktop anyways. I'm used to the corners as my other machine is a macbook pro and I live and die with expose. I wish Windows had multiple desktops but other than that, I like it. Also like how it seems to do a great job detecting all the devices in my machine.

You may as well try it- it's not like MS is going to go back to the way things were in Windows 9...
m
l
February 20, 2013 4:59:51 PM

omnimodis78 said:
Well, technically there is, it's the Start Screen, that is the start menu. But yes, not in the traditional sense.

I think the best analogue to the start menu is the search applet which shows you all the apps on the box spread out across the whole screen.
m
l
February 20, 2013 5:08:44 PM

omnimodis78 said:

Unless they changed it since the Win8 RC there are no shortcuts to windows explorer (Computer) or the control panel. No accessories menu to get to notepad and calculator..
m
l
February 20, 2013 5:33:27 PM

master_chen said:
Sizzling:
Nobody's talking about Surface, man.
Only about version for desktop. I absolutely don't mind Windows 8 on Tablets and Smartphones, because THESE ARE THE PLATFORMS IT WAS MADE FOR.
On those platforms it works fabulously and I'll personally recommend Windows 8-based Tablet/Smartphone for anyone and any day.

But NOT for desktop usage. People who try to justify desktop usage of Windows 8 are either absolutely biased advertisers, or simply haven't had anything else before it AT ALL.

Well, no offence intended but I have had PC's since 1994, I've had 95/98/2000/xp/win7 and Windows 8 is fine by me. Its plays every game I've thrown at it so far and thats really all I care about. If anyone wants to pay me for this 'biased advertising' then feel free to contact me via PM ;) 
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 20, 2013 6:58:15 PM

shADy81 said:
Well, no offence intended but I have had PC's since 1994, I've had 95/98/2000/xp/win7 and Windows 8 is fine by me. Its plays every game I've thrown at it so far and thats really all I care about. If anyone wants to pay me for this 'biased advertising' then feel free to contact me via PM ;) 

For me it started in 1984 with a Commodore 64. I have run every version of DOS including the buggy DOS 4. I have run every version of Windows from 3.1 to Win 8, including WinME, XPx64 and Vista. The only version that I had an real trouble with was Windows XP x64 due to a complete lack of drivers.

I like the start screen because it gets me to what I want to do faster. When I first start the computer, after logging in, it is one click to get to the program I want or to the desktop. For apps I use regularly I pin them to the taskbar so I don't have to go back to the start screen very often.

I love how everything is synchronized automatically with SkyDrive to my other Windows 8 devices like my Surface and Windows 8 phone. And from the other devices back to my desktop.

Windows 7 doesn't even start to get close with this kind of syncing.

I can run my whole test lab using Hyper-V right on my desktop for free (Hyper-V is free the OSs are not). No more need to dual boot when I an just spin up a virtual machine.
m
l
February 20, 2013 11:05:39 PM

Oh another thing i left unmentioned, windows 8 booting 10000000000 times faster than windows 7, thats not true, windows 8 doesnt even boot up and shutdown in the first place, its hibernation modification by default and its called "fast boot", try restarting your win8 pc and youll see how slower it is.

Frankly if oblitterating the desktop functionality out of windows wasnt enough, they even put ads in the core apps of the OS itself, thats awsome, you pay to get ads.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 20, 2013 11:33:12 PM

Hi :) 

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a c 417 * Windows 8
February 21, 2013 12:41:18 AM

One click in the morning to open Outlook for my mail and I never see the Start screen again unless I want to search for something or use one of the Apps. I've installed it on as many machines locally as I could that were running Vista, none of the owners have complained, most are delighted with it. I also favour it for installing SSDs as it takes up so little space. (I'm currently running 8 on this machine on a 60gig SSD with 34gig free, same install for 7 left 16 gig) I actually installed 8 on an old HP 6720s lappy with a Celeron just for fun, and it was totally transformed, boot time and everything improved. Sure, the funky Start screen is probably superfluous to my requirements, but kids love it... Plus it has the quickest install time of any OS I've used so far, and the ability to 'Refresh' Windows without losing data is simplicity itself. Hope these mainly OBJECTIVE observations help someone make an informed decision.
m
l
February 21, 2013 1:02:57 AM

I think Windows 8 is an excellent OS and I've been using it since it was in beta. We've been deploying it at work and I've gotten positive feedback from a lot of my users so far. Most of it is because they love the speed of the machine now. I loaded it onto my work computer (clean install) and going from Win7 to Win 8 was like getting a new PC. The speed is undeniable! Also too, this thing never crashes, like it did with Win7. Those of you out there crying about losing the Start Menu are probably not old enough to remember when everyone cried and complained about when Microsoft introduced the Start Menu in Windows 95, back in September '95. I remember everyone complaining that they just wanted the "old" Windows back with the program manager, ie. 3.11 or below. How things have changed. LOL. Overall, Win8 is a great OS and I highly recommend it.
m
l
February 21, 2013 2:28:11 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi. :) 

All the best. Brett. :) 

This.

/thread

>: )
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:00:10 AM

master_chen said:
This.

/thread

>: )

Hello I see lots of people still like 7.

But I need language pack, I live in Japan so sometimes I have to use Japanese software and write in Japanese. The Ultimate 7 is almost 200 dollars.

Is it really worth sticking with 7 and paying that much for that?

What exactly do they mean by no more support for 7?

Are there any other operation differences beside the placing of different menu's and buttons between 7 and 8? I have never used 7 so I do not what I would be missing.
I am moving up from Vista.
m
l
a c 417 * Windows 8
February 21, 2013 3:42:05 AM

g335 said:

But I need language pack, I live in Japan so sometimes I have to use Japanese software and write in Japanese. The Ultimate 7 is almost 200 dollars.

Is it really worth sticking with 7 and paying that much for that?

What exactly do they mean by no more support for 7?

Are there any other operation differences beside the placing of different menu's and buttons between 7 and 8? I have never used 7 so I do not what I would be missing.
I am moving up from Vista.

Language Pack available
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/language#1...
and Japanese is included.
7 not worth the extra, plus you can make 8 so similar to 7 if you wish.
No longer supported means no more Windows Updates, but the OS will still run regardless. Dates are here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lif...
I wouldn't hesitate, go for 8 you'll soon get used to it. Search the web for 8 tips and tricks, there are many keyboard shortcuts to learn involving the Windows key that make life a lot easier...
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:54:37 AM

jthill909 said:

No More support for Win 7? You mean xp don't you?
m
l
a c 417 * Windows 8
February 21, 2013 4:04:54 AM

safari801 said:
No More support for Win 7? You mean xp don't you?

Windows 7 Mainstream support ends Jan 2015. i.e. 22 months from now
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:15:40 AM

Extended support till Jan 2020.
m
l
a c 417 * Windows 8
February 21, 2013 4:23:27 AM

24oz said:
Extended support till Jan 2020.

Only applies to Business users...(Commercial Customers)
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:45:28 AM

g335 said:

Because it's THE best Micro$oft had to offer so far. It's Like XP Service Pack 3, but much fresher, better, and on steroids. %)

g335 said:
I need language pack, I live in Japan so sometimes I have to use Japanese software and write in Japanese.

You can download official multilingual packs from official site and for free, if I remember correctly.
m
l
February 26, 2013 2:21:13 AM

Hello Everyone

Thanks for your help.

There is a PC DEPOT here in Japan and they had a System Buildings Windows 8 dics here. It is called DSP. Going to try 8, no time to wait to order from the states even if wanted to go with 7.

m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 26, 2013 4:16:55 PM

Quote:
Win 8
http://bfvets.dyndns.org/xcpus/mark1.png

Win 7
http://bfvets.dyndns.org/xcpus/mark2.png

all benchmarks including windows index score shows windows 8 to be faster, one more reason to buy 8. In game framerates that I've done using 8 are faster. I can display all results
There is no ifs about it win 8 in 5 months is faster then 7 in 3 years of updates All test are using the same hardware and drivers. Windows 8 has less diskspace and more running programs

Please STOP posting partial links to support your argument...

NEITHER of those partial links says ANYTHING about 8 or 7 :( 

m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 26, 2013 4:30:49 PM

Í could not care what you say, they are what I say they are, if you don't like what I have to say ban me.
Tomshardware conclusion

After a week of exploratory benchmarking, it would seem that your favorite apps run just as well under Windows 8.
Nomatter how you look at it you are wrong in judging windows 8 not to be good for gaming its better in games You would have no clue how win 8 works, since you don't use it, or have used 8, or showed any actual data, you have not showen an prove 7 to be any better then 8 they are = except win 8 has some impovments over 7. Before you go slaming me anymore give some results, why not to buy rather then hearsay. and not results from the first release, there has been updates since that has improved 8 you would not know about that
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 26, 2013 4:47:52 PM

gomerpile said:
Í could not care what you say, they are what I say they are, if you don't like what I have to say ban me.
Tomshardware conclusion

After a week of exploratory benchmarking, it would seem that your favorite apps run just as well under Windows 8.
Nomatter how you look at it you are wrong in judging windows 8 not to be good for gaming its better in games You would have no clue since you don't use it or have used it or showed any actual date you have proved 7 to be any better then 8 they are = except win 8 has some impovments over 7. Before you go slaming me anymore give some results why not to buy rather then hearsay

As you wont give a PROPER link , I have deleted that post...

m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 26, 2013 4:51:36 PM

Tomshardware conclusion

Nomatter how you look at it you are wrong in judging windows 8 not to be good for gaming its better in games You would have no clue how win 8 works, since you don't use it, or have used 8, or showed any actual data, you have not showen an prove 7 to be any better then 8 they are = except win 8 has some impovments over 7. Before you go slaming me anymore give some results, why not to buy rather then hearsay. and not results from the first release, there has been updates since that has improved 8 you would not know about that

BAD LINKS DELETED BY MODERATOR
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 26, 2013 4:57:24 PM

20012,50,36800 said:
Tomshardware conclusion

BAD LINKS EDITED BY MODERATOR

For REPOSTING A Moderators deleted post , I am going to ban you for 3 days....please learn some respect for Toms rules and Moderators from this small ban...

m
l
!