upgrade, now cdrom doesn't play music???

Thesem

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
In the middle of an upgrade - new amd 1800+ cpu on msi kt3 ultra2 mobo, crucial 512mb ram, new case. Moved in 2 scsi cards. Scsi#1 with 2 hard drives, and 32x cdrom. Scsi#2 has Plextor cdrw. Installed windows xp on 40gb ide drive. It went ok except my cdrom drive refuses to play music cds now. It does read data cds, s/w, games,etc. just not music. I tried 3 different music programs, all with the same result. cd loads, it reads and checks the cddb database, then flips through the songs (2-3secs each) but with no music. The cdrom is a scsi IBM cdrm00203 (made by Plextor). Any ideas??

-Thesem-

Thesem

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Found the answer. Turns out for this cdrom drive in win xp you have to disable digital audio in device properties, (opposite of what makes sense to me). All is fine now, playoing music once again.

-Thesem-

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Interesting. I would have thought digital output would be disabed by default.

<b>Is that a Sidetracked Thread I see before me? - <i>William Shakespeare, Macbeth</i></b>
Officially Certified <font color=green>Hooter Inspector.</font color=green>

Octivus

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I was going to say check your audio cable and make sure it's plugged in correctly :p.

<i><font color=blue>If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.</font color=blue></i>