Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Possible virus?

Last response: in Windows 7
May 15, 2012 5:26:14 AM

Hey everybody, I have a very strange problem. My mouse clicks by itself, and my keyboard types things I've previously typed EVEN THOUGH it's not plugged in. It's random, but occurs after about 2 hours of use. Could I have gotten a virus or changed some weird setting?

More about : virus

May 15, 2012 5:36:13 AM

Gameralert said:
Hey everybody, I have a very strange problem. My mouse clicks by itself, and my keyboard types things I've previously typed EVEN THOUGH it's not plugged in. It's random, but occurs after about 2 hours of use. Could I have gotten a virus or changed some weird setting?

I trust you're running anti-virus software and keep it updated? Have you done a full system scan? Run any spyware removal tools?
m
l
May 15, 2012 5:38:20 AM

I haven't yet, I wanted to rule out accidentally altering a setting. And I don't have anti virus software, past antivirus software experiences have deterred me from getting it again. I'm guessing use the malware removal tools suggested in the sticky thread?
m
l
Related resources
May 15, 2012 6:26:27 AM

Yikes.

Yeah, if there's a sticky-thread - go for it :) 

Always run anti-virus. Some are better than others and it's one of those subjects where if you ask 20 people you'll probably get 20 different answers. But none of those 20 will recommend not running anything.
m
l
May 15, 2012 6:50:40 AM

I've just always been iffy on anti virus since my stepdad installed it once and then my laptop became basically useless with the amount of viruses it got from the anti virus itself. What would be your suggestion for antivirus software?
m
l

Best solution

May 15, 2012 7:04:06 AM

I use Norton Internet Security 2012. It's not free, but I like it more than some of the free offerings I've tried like avast and kapersky. I purchased one license and it's protecting three PCs.

Not sure what your Stepdad installed... there are also some fake ones out there :) 
May 15, 2012 7:18:31 AM

He installed avast but I think he did it from some wonky site, he's not very computer savvy. I'll go pickup Norton this week, thanks for your help!
m
l
May 15, 2012 7:18:49 AM

Best answer selected by Gameralert.
m
l
May 15, 2012 7:40:25 AM

don't go paying for anti-virus...jesus. Just download microsoft security essentials and malewarebytes (or another similar malware program) and you're good to go.

m
l
May 15, 2012 8:28:07 AM

gregck said:
don't go paying for anti-virus...jesus. Just download microsoft security essentials and malewarebytes (or another similar malware program) and you're good to go.

To each his own, I don't mind paying for it. I used free anti-virus software for several years and switched to Norton last year after doing a lot of research online.

Can't find the thread right now but I came across a post from one of the Veterans the other day. He has infected PCs coming into his shop every single day, despite them having antivirus installed. Very few of those, if any, were running Norton.

Like I said, ask 20 people and get 20 different answers. Google 'microsoft security essentials sucks' and you'll get plenty of hits too *shrug*
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 15, 2012 9:55:37 AM

I really do not recommend norton, its detection ratio is really really bad from what I've heard. the combo I'm using now is Avira + malware bytes + Comodo
m
l
May 15, 2012 10:08:58 AM

Ooerr...sounds like a bad case of possession, call a priest!!

Like others have said, get scanning. Ant virus software always causes some hot debate and the truth is none of them are perfect (but don't be tempted to install more than one at once)

I would try Avast first as it i pretty good without bringing the system to its knees. I hear the more recent versions of Norton are better than before, it used to be a real resource hog and interfere with everything.

The Malwarebytes scanner is very good too, I've used that a fair few times to remove some nasties on peoples' machines. This isn't an antivirus prog so safe to have on the system at the same time.

I would choose a full scan instead of a quick one for the first use.

Good luck and hope it gets sorted!
m
l
May 15, 2012 11:33:47 AM

mouse24 said:
I really do not recommend norton, its detection ratio is really really bad from what I've heard

Heard from whom... the haters because NIS isn't free? ;) 

You claim Norton's detection ratio is really bad, yet here you are relying on three pieces of software. I'd like to see some reputable sources for your claims.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 15, 2012 11:14:33 PM

pdxalex said:
Heard from whom... the haters because NIS isn't free? ;) 

You claim Norton's detection ratio is really bad, yet here you are relying on three pieces of software. I'd like to see some reputable sources for your claims.

It's simple hear say, take it for what it is. Obviously use what you are comfortable with. I personally prefer different companies for different pieces of software as I feel its better than a security suite by solely one company.

I've also heard good things about kaspersky and NOD32. Again, "heard" keyword, I'm not a guru or anyone special take me for what I am, a simple end user.

edit: And the 3 pieces of software was antivirus/anti malware/firewall. Does Norton come with all those? (not trying to be rude, I actually don't know)
m
l
!