PLEASE Help ... external mic for my GL2

Last response: in Home Audio
October 22, 2004 4:10:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.movies.misc,rec.video.production,alt.movies.independent,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.opinion (More info?)

Hi all,

I really need some assistance here. I want to get a shotgun mic for
my GL 2 camcorder for making a film. These are the brand and types I
am looking at.
OPINIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS?

Sennheiser MKE 300

Azden SGM X

Canon DM-50

Audio Technica ATR55

I have heard the MKE 300 is better than the canon dm-50, but the MKE
300 is mono compared to the dm-50, which is stereo. What DIFFERENCE
does it really make to have stereo compared to just mono in filming a
controlled movie scene? Also, are Audio Technica and Azden really
buttom of the line? I want the operating noise of the camera to be
absent when recording. I'm on a tight budget though.

But is it much better to have a Mic connected to a xlr adaptor? Such
as:

Sennheiser ME66

Azden SGM 1X or SGM 2X

For a high quality audio, am I really going to have to get the xlr
adaptor along with a mic compatible with that? Is it much more
convenient to have the capability of a mic on a boom stick off of the
camcorder?

Thank you.

blueIron

More about : external mic gl2

Anonymous
October 22, 2004 10:09:33 PM

"Blue_Iron" <blue_iron@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I really need some assistance here. I want to get a shotgun mic for
> my GL 2 camcorder for making a film. These are the brand and types I
> am looking at.
> OPINIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS?
>
> Sennheiser MKE 300
>
> Azden SGM X
>
> Canon DM-50
>
> Audio Technica ATR55
>
> I have heard the MKE 300 is better than the canon dm-50, but the MKE
> 300 is mono compared to the dm-50, which is stereo. What DIFFERENCE
> does it really make to have stereo compared to just mono in filming a
> controlled movie scene?

There are two newsgroups that will give you plenty of answers:
rec.arts.movies.production
rec.arts.movies.production.sound.
"sound" is very professionally oriented, so they may look down on your
question.
On camera microphones are not used professionally because they are GROSSLY
INFERIOR and provide UNACCEPTABLE QUALITY.
You cannot film a low budget feature or a festival short with an on-camera
mic, unless there is some peculiar magic going on, as with BLAIR WITCH or
Dogme 95.

Professionally speaking, there is no use at all for recording dialog in
stereo.
However, you want to put the mic on the camera. In this case, it is possible
that an amateur could compensate for the lack of sophisticated post
processing by use of a stereo mike.
But it is true that the Sennheiser is the better mic, and it will provide
better sound, which is always a consideration with on camera mics, since
they all provide bad sound.
My recommendation: go with the Sennheiser.
Even better: put a shotgun on a broomstick held by a boom operator. This
simple step will improve the sound far more than the effect of any
particular selection from the above list.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 11:35:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.movies.misc,rec.video.production,alt.movies.independent,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.opinion (More info?)

Blue_Iron <blue_iron@my-deja.com> wrote:

>I really need some assistance here. I want to get a shotgun mic for
>my GL 2 camcorder for making a film. These are the brand and types I
>am looking at.

You can't make a film with a GL-2, but you can make a video.

>Sennheiser MKE 300

This sort of works. It's not a 416 by any stretch, but it has the same
sort of presence peak. I think you'd be a lot better off with a used 416
than any of the Sennheiser electrets, though.

>Azden SGM X

This is trash.

>Canon DM-50

This is also basically trash.

>Audio Technica ATR55

These things are okay, but the pattern really is kind of wide, and it is
not exactly the best thing around for pulling a voice out of the muck.

I think of a shotgun as the kind of thing you use occasionally outdoors when
you can't boom with a hypercardioid, so I figure when you _do_ want one,
you want something with as narrow a pattern as possible at the expense of
everything else. And the MKE 300 is probably the best of the ones you have
described with that in mind.... but it ain't no 416, that's for sure.

>I have heard the MKE 300 is better than the canon dm-50, but the MKE
>300 is mono compared to the dm-50, which is stereo. What DIFFERENCE
>does it really make to have stereo compared to just mono in filming a
>controlled movie scene? Also, are Audio Technica and Azden really
>buttom of the line? I want the operating noise of the camera to be
>absent when recording. I'm on a tight budget though.

On a video camera, the noise isn't a problem. On film cameras with clattering
magazines, it can be a problem, but since the mike is so much closer to the
talent than the camera (assuming your boom man is competent anyway), the
motor noise is really a non-issue.

If you're on a tight budget, rent.
--scott

>But is it much better to have a Mic connected to a xlr adaptor? Such
>as:
>
>Sennheiser ME66
>
>Azden SGM 1X or SGM 2X
>
>For a high quality audio, am I really going to have to get the xlr
>adaptor along with a mic compatible with that? Is it much more
>convenient to have the capability of a mic on a boom stick off of the
>camcorder?

You will not find a microphone of any reasonable quality with an unbalanced
output.

You will not get any reasonable quality with a mike on camera. Hire a boom
man with his own kit.
--scott
October 24, 2004 4:16:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.movies.misc,rec.video.production,alt.movies.independent,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.opinion (More info?)

Hey. Thanks for your advice guys. I live in the upper peninsula of
Michigan though and there is no one to hire as a boom man. I'm
attempting to start my own business here, and my budget is not making
it easy to get all the equipment I want. And yes- technically I want
to make a "video". For now portrayal of the story comes before
quality of the picture. ~Chao

blueIron
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 5:33:28 PM

In article <ffec94d9.0410241116.2653ab9e@posting.google.com>,
blue_iron@my-deja.com (Blue_Iron) wrote:

> Hey. Thanks for your advice guys. I live in the upper peninsula of
> Michigan though and there is no one to hire as a boom man. I'm
> attempting to start my own business here, and my budget is not making
> it easy to get all the equipment I want. And yes- technically I want
> to make a "video". For now portrayal of the story comes before
> quality of the picture. ~Chao

Working the stick isn't all that hard, but it's something you have to
learn.

Get an AT 55 (or whatever it is; the cheap electret shotgun w/the 1/8"
mini plug) and build a boom. Strap any kind of recorder onto your belt
(a Walkman will do) and plug in both the mic and a good pair of
headphones, so you can hear - discretely - exactly what the mic's
picking up.

Start practicing.

Before too long you'll start to get the hang of on-axis, handling noise,
moving between two or three speakers in the same scene, etc. If you're
looking to hire someone else as your stick man/woman, give the rig to
them and let them do the same.

--
Life Continues, Despite
Evidence to the Contrary