Problem Installing Jane's F-15

Last response: in Video Games
May 1, 2005 2:52:28 AM

I was wondering if anyone has a similar issue with installing Jane's F-15
and had it resolved.

The basic issue is that I cannot install Jane's F-15 on a Windows98 SE setup
that I have. When I execute the setup program it states "Setup is inspecting
your system..." Then the window disappears and the system hangs, and won't
install.

It installs fine on another Windows XP machine I have. I thought it would be
no problem for Windows 98 SE.

Is there a way to copy files to the HD, and write some registry values?

Thanks!
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 2:10:51 PM

Hey HT.

I'm not sure, but how about copying the folder first. Then see if it'll
run, from a raw copy. Long shot I know.
If not, go back into XP and using regedt32 look for every EA or Jane's
entry.
Export those registry entries, then try importing them into 98.

Other than that, try to sort out the original issue. Maybe Google around or
check over at SIMHQs archive.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 2:10:52 PM

"4-Example" <Id-rather@n0t.say> wrote in message
> Hey HT.
>
> I'm not sure, but how about copying the folder first. Then see if it'll
> run, from a raw copy. Long shot I know.
> If not, go back into XP and using regedt32 look for every EA or Jane's
> entry.
> Export those registry entries, then try importing them into 98.
>
> Other than that, try to sort out the original issue. Maybe Google around
> or check over at SIMHQs archive.

Hey thanks! I ended up installing F-15 on my WinXP machine, copied the
contents of the installed folder to the Win98 machine. Did a regedt32 search
for F-15, and exported the two entries as Win9x and merged them into my
Win98 registry and it worked. The only thing I didn't do previously was save
as Win98, as I didn't know you had that option (I know there's a drop down
box, duh). And also, what is the difference between regedit and regedt32?

Thanks!
May 1, 2005 5:44:58 PM

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message

> "4-Example" <Id-rather@n0t.say> wrote in message
>> Hey HT.
>>
>> I'm not sure, but how about copying the folder first. Then see if it'll
>> run, from a raw copy. Long shot I know.
>> If not, go back into XP and using regedt32 look for every EA or Jane's
>> entry.
>> Export those registry entries, then try importing them into 98.
>>
>> Other than that, try to sort out the original issue. Maybe Google around
>> or check over at SIMHQs archive.
>>

> Hey thanks!

Excellent, glad to help.

> I ended up installing F-15 on my WinXP machine, copied the contents of the
> installed folder to the Win98 machine. Did a regedt32 search for F-15, and
> exported the two entries as Win9x and merged them into my Win98 registry
> and it worked. The only thing I didn't do previously was save as Win98, as
> I didn't know you had that option (I know there's a drop down box, duh).
> And also, what is the difference between regedit and regedt32?

From the horses mouth.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141377

Who said this group is dead! :-)
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 12:59:02 PM

To barg in on this one: the Jane's installation programs are also
notoriously picky about drives, since the damn things scan your drives.
Having a CD/RW is one way to kill the installation program. Having,
say, a USB memstick as a virtual drive is another way to kill the
installation program. Finally, each install program is different --
Fleet Command's installer is completely borked in XP no matter what
(you have to download a Sonalyst's installer patch to even get it to
go).

--scharmers
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 12:00:34 AM

<scharmers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> To barg in on this one: the Jane's installation programs are also
> notoriously picky about drives, since the damn things scan your drives.
> Having a CD/RW is one way to kill the installation program. Having,
> say, a USB memstick as a virtual drive is another way to kill the
> installation program. Finally, each install program is different --
> Fleet Command's installer is completely borked in XP no matter what
> (you have to download a Sonalyst's installer patch to even get it to
> go).
>
> --scharmers

Thanks. Actually, once the "Setup is checking your system configuration"
window ran, I just left the PC run, and literally about 5-6 minutes later, I
could go ahead and install normally. Not ideal, but hey, it works just fine
now. Now if anyone has a Voodoo 4500 PCI, it'd be nice to get ahold of one.
:)

I have a Voodoo 5500 AGP that is in great shape, but won't work with my
newer AGP slot. I'd actually even be willing to do an even trade. The Voodoo
5500 PCI is also too long to fit in my PCI slot. I'm in a real pickle. It
seems only the 4500 PCI will work. The 4500 PCB is much shorter so won't
interfere with my memory slots.
!