Sign in with
Your question

Question about organization of folders

Last response: in Windows 7
May 15, 2012 6:49:15 AM

So I have been having trouble figuring out how to make my folders organize my files by the date I add them to the folder. Essentially I want certain folders to place the files in order of when I put the file into the folder.

For some reason the most obvious options tend to not work exactly. I would think that going to view, and then sort by "date" would make it so whenever I place a file in that folder it would automatically go to the bottom of the folder and be the last item there. But sometimes, when I place the file in the folder it is like 3rd from the last file in the folder.

I feel like I am really missing something obvious because back when I had Windows XP, this was never an issue and most of my folders would automatically sort by the date I put the file in the folder.

Just looking for some feedback.
a b $ Windows 7
May 15, 2012 7:52:52 AM

Could it be that under 'view' there are three options, 'Arrange by' 'Sort by' and 'Group by' and your folders are going into different groups, thus not always appearing at the top/bottom?
m
l
May 15, 2012 8:38:23 AM

Under view there is only "Arrange by" and "Group by" and they are both set to "date" ascending.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 15, 2012 10:16:01 AM

Hmm. Assuming we are discussing the same folder (Documents?) there must be a difference in versions, I have Win7 Pro...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 15, 2012 10:23:37 AM

remember its only a view, they aren't 'placed' in any order.
Make sure you are using the right date, there's created date, modified date, date accessed amongst others, this could be why they are not appearing as you expect them to.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 15, 2012 11:23:29 AM

More dates than you could shake a stick at! Thanks 13th...
'Group By' and 'More'
http://prntscr.com/99jyp

Don'y know why you don't have 'Sort by'...
m
l
a c 229 $ Windows 7
May 15, 2012 11:46:58 AM

You need to press F5 to refresh the explorer display. Make sure the window has the focus before hitting F5.
m
l
May 15, 2012 8:53:52 PM

I know that I can add options like "date modified" and "date accessed", I'm just curious which one I should use to make my folders sort by, I guess the date that I added the file to the folder. I also do have the "sort by" option, I just forgot to put that.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 16, 2012 6:46:46 AM

Guess 'date accessed' will at least keep them in the order you viewed them, if that's what you want...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 16, 2012 7:33:36 AM

dodger46 said:
Guess 'date accessed' will at least keep them in the order you viewed them, if that's what you want...

then it would change every time it was viewed.

If the OP copies them into the folder and then deletes the original then the create date would work.
m
l
May 21, 2012 7:50:01 PM

I still cant figure out how to make the folders organize the way I want. Is wanting to have your files sort themselves by the order you placed them in the folder really such a unique concept?

This was the way all my files automatically sorted themselves when I had XP, it was never an issue. Now I don't even understand what all the different "date accessed", "date", "date modified", and "date archived" options even mean. When I try to set the folder to sort by any of the different "date" options it just makes no sense the way the files organize themselves.

Has no one else ever needed to organize a folder in order of when the files were placed in the folder?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 21, 2012 7:57:18 PM

I do it that way by clicking on the date column, and it just works. But always folders first and then files .
m
l
May 21, 2012 8:26:56 PM

What do you mean date column? Also, what do you mean by folders first then files?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 21, 2012 8:44:59 PM

I click just above where all the dates are in a list (assuming you are in detailed view). And it will always show all of the sibfolders first and then all of the files second.
m
l
a c 229 $ Windows 7
May 22, 2012 12:12:27 PM

13thmonkey said:
I click just above where all the dates are in a list (assuming you are in detailed view). And it will always show all of the sibfolders first and then all of the files second.

^+1

That's what i do. I always use detailed view.
m
l
!