Multiple fan PS mounting orientation

tommyd

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2002
I want to get a PS like the Antec TruePower with multiple fans. All of the cases I own mount the PS in the top rear just above the CPU. Unfortunately the mounting hole orientation restricts the PS to be mounted with the extra fan at the top, facing up. It would seem to me that the ideal setup would be for the extra fan to be at the bottom, facing down, just above the CPU, and for the fan to suck the heat away from the CPU. Why is the mounting hole orientation set up such that the fan is located at the top? Is there a way (short of drilling new holes in the case) of getting the PS mounted with the extra fan facing down? Thanks for the help.

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
The two antec's I have have dual fans, and they mount pefectly in my cases, with the fan facing the cpu. Hmmm...

If you don't want to drill holes to mount it, there's always many ghetto solutions. You could use Velcro, a pile of twisty-ties, rubber bands, or a combination of the three.

Sorry if this sounded sarcastic, it's not supposed to be.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I think i understand whats going on here.
For some unknown reason the rearplate to mount the PSU on is upside down. Bummer.

I think you yourself have suggested the solution. The only way you are to get ti to fit properly is to drill new holes or somewhow turn over the rear plate, but thats usually impossible as its a part of the case superstructure.

All in all its probably easiest to get a new case.

one thing you COULD do is turn the PSU over and superglue it to the top pannel of the case, assuming you have a mid-tower design.
Crude and very ghetto though.

<b>Cogposto tomsa, ergo sum - <i>Descartes</i>
</b>Translation:<b> I post at Toms Hardware, Therefor I am. :smile: </b>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
at least two of the holes should line up properly, you can just leave the other two off.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Personally i wouldnt like my PSU to be held on by just 2 screws.
And besides, isnt the rear faceplate the wrong shape? Will it not obsure the fan or the switch if the PSU is turned the wrong way?

<b>Is that a Sidetracked Thread I see before me? - <i>William Shakespeare, Macbeth</i></b>
Officially Certified <font color=green>Hooter Inspector.</font color=green>