Pacific Fighters - worth it?

I love WWII era planes and especially those in the Pacific Theater. I
am not a real hard-core flight sim fan; I don't worry if the flight
models are perfect or anything like that. I just wanna jump in and have
some fun. Would Pacific Fighters be a good choice for this? Does it
have a mission creator or instant action, or is it campaign-only?

Appreciate and feedback!
--
Jim S.

Jim S. wrote:
> I love WWII era planes and especially those in the Pacific Theater. I
> am not a real hard-core flight sim fan; I don't worry if the flight
> models are perfect or anything like that. I just wanna jump in and
> have some fun. Would Pacific Fighters be a good choice for this?
> Does it have a mission creator or instant action, or is it
> campaign-only?
>
> Appreciate and feedback!

Yes, it is well worth it.

I would recommend going ahead and gettting IL2FB with the Ace Expansion Pack
along with Pacific Fighters.
Best WWII sim I have seen, and there are some killer user made campaigns for
the European theatre available.

Pacific Fighters does have instant action as well as a full mission builder
and campaign mode. Personally I think the stock campaigns are pretty lame.
IL2DCG tends to help that some, which you can download and run to create
some better campaigns.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

On Sun, 1 May 2005 22:54:47 -0500, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

>Yes, it is well worth it.
>
>I would recommend going ahead and gettting IL2FB with the Ace Expansion Pack
>along with Pacific Fighters.
>Best WWII sim I have seen, and there are some killer user made campaigns for
>the European theatre available.
>
>Pacific Fighters does have instant action as well as a full mission builder
>and campaign mode. Personally I think the stock campaigns are pretty lame.
>IL2DCG tends to help that some, which you can download and run to create
>some better campaigns.

You neglected to mention there are no torpedoe bombers. It's kind of
important to have torpedoe bombers in a WWII Pacific campaign sim
seeing as they were used quite a lot.

Codex wrote:
> On Sun, 1 May 2005 22:54:47 -0500, "Don Burnette"
> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> Yes, it is well worth it.
>>
>> I would recommend going ahead and gettting IL2FB with the Ace
>> Expansion Pack along with Pacific Fighters.
>> Best WWII sim I have seen, and there are some killer user made
>> campaigns for the European theatre available.
>>
>> Pacific Fighters does have instant action as well as a full mission
>> builder and campaign mode. Personally I think the stock campaigns
>> are pretty lame. IL2DCG tends to help that some, which you can
>> download and run to create some better campaigns.
>
> You neglected to mention there are no torpedoe bombers. It's kind of
> important to have torpedoe bombers in a WWII Pacific campaign sim
> seeing as they were used quite a lot.

Perhaps important to some, not to me. I'm having plenty of fun with the sim.

--

Don Burnette wrote:

> Jim S. wrote:
> > I love WWII era planes and especially those in the Pacific Theater. I
> > am not a real hard-core flight sim fan; I don't worry if the flight
> > models are perfect or anything like that. I just wanna jump in and
> > have some fun. Would Pacific Fighters be a good choice for this?
> > Does it have a mission creator or instant action, or is it
> > campaign-only?
> >
> > Appreciate and feedback!
>
> Yes, it is well worth it.
>
> I would recommend going ahead and gettting IL2FB with the Ace Expansion Pack
> along with Pacific Fighters.
> Best WWII sim I have seen, and there are some killer user made campaigns for
> the European theatre available.
>
> Pacific Fighters does have instant action as well as a full mission builder
> and campaign mode. Personally I think the stock campaigns are pretty lame.
> IL2DCG tends to help that some, which you can download and run to create
> some better campaigns.
>
> --
> Don Burnette

Thanks, Don. That's exactly the kind of info I wanted. Appreciate it!

--
Jim S.

Don Burnette wrote:

> Codex wrote:
> > On Sun, 1 May 2005 22:54:47 -0500, "Don Burnette"
> > <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
> >

> >> Yes, it is well worth it.
> >>
> >> I would recommend going ahead and gettting IL2FB with the Ace
> >> Expansion Pack along with Pacific Fighters.
> >> Best WWII sim I have seen, and there are some killer user made
> >> campaigns for the European theatre available.
> >>
> >> Pacific Fighters does have instant action as well as a full mission
> >> builder and campaign mode. Personally I think the stock campaigns
> >> are pretty lame. IL2DCG tends to help that some, which you can
> >> download and run to create some better campaigns.
> >
> > You neglected to mention there are no torpedoe bombers. It's kind of
> > important to have torpedoe bombers in a WWII Pacific campaign sim
> > seeing as they were used quite a lot.
>
> Perhaps important to some, not to me. I'm having plenty of fun with the sim.
>
> --
> Don Burnette

It's sort of a bummer, but I am more interested in jumping into an A6M Zeke and
getting into some dogfights.
--
Jim S.

Don Burnette wrote:

> Pacific Fighters does have instant action as well as a full mission builder
> and campaign mode. Personally I think the stock campaigns are pretty lame.
> IL2DCG tends to help that some, which you can download and run to create
> some better campaigns.

Looks like I am going to pick up both, Don. At $19.95 each, it's a no-brainer.
BTW, does IL2 have Instant Action as well?

Thanks again,
Jim S.

"Codex" <no@email.here> wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 May 2005 22:54:47 -0500, "Don Burnette"
> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Yes, it is well worth it.
>>
>>I would recommend going ahead and gettting IL2FB with the Ace Expansion
>>Pack
>>along with Pacific Fighters.
>>Best WWII sim I have seen, and there are some killer user made campaigns
>>for
>>the European theatre available.
>>
>>Pacific Fighters does have instant action as well as a full mission
>>builder
>>and campaign mode. Personally I think the stock campaigns are pretty lame.
>>IL2DCG tends to help that some, which you can download and run to create
>>some better campaigns.
>
> You neglected to mention there are no torpedoe bombers. It's kind of
> important to have torpedoe bombers in a WWII Pacific campaign sim
> seeing as they were used quite a lot.

Well hey there, "Connected." What's the matter, noone responding to your
whines since I killfiled you?

On Mon, 02 May 2005 04:30:39 GMT, "James Calivar"
<amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Well hey there, "Connected." What's the matter, noone responding to your
>whines since I killfiled you?

*plonk*

"Jim S." <quint75@nowayinhellcharter.net> wrote in message
> Don Burnette wrote:
>
>> Pacific Fighters does have instant action as well as a full mission
>> builder
>> and campaign mode. Personally I think the stock campaigns are pretty
>> lame.
>> IL2DCG tends to help that some, which you can download and run to create
>> some better campaigns.
>
> Looks like I am going to pick up both, Don. At $19.95 each, it's a
> no-brainer.
> BTW, does IL2 have Instant Action as well?
>
> Thanks again,
> Jim S.

Yes. They are essentially the same sim. Pacific Fighters adds new aircraft
and campaigns.

There weren't supposed to be flyable torpedo bombers for CFS2, but
weren't some players able to make their sbd and TBF's flyable, torps
and all? Any chance of doing this on PF?

On 2 May 2005 08:46:25 -0700, "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote:

>There weren't supposed to be flyable torpedo bombers for CFS2, but
>weren't some players able to make their sbd and TBF's flyable, torps
>and all? Any chance of doing this on PF?

PF's isn't moddable. It's locked down, you can only create skins. All
new planes have to go through the approval channels of Oleg Maddox and
Ubisoft.

"Jim S." <quint75@nowayinhellcharter.net> wrote in message
> Don Burnette wrote:
>
> > Pacific Fighters does have instant action as well as a full mission
builder
> > and campaign mode. Personally I think the stock campaigns are pretty
lame.
> > IL2DCG tends to help that some, which you can download and run to create
> > some better campaigns.
>
> Looks like I am going to pick up both, Don. At $19.95 each, it's a
no-brainer.
> BTW, does IL2 have Instant Action as well?
>
> Thanks again,
> Jim S.

Be advised that if you want to install PF over top of IL2-FB, you also need
to have the Aces Expansion Pack (AEP). IL2-FB and AEP are sold together
nowadays as a "Gold Pack" so just pick that up instead of IL2-FB by itself.

The patching process is a bit weird so if you've got questions just ask them
here.

James

>I love WWII era planes and especially those in the Pacific Theater. I
> am not a real hard-core flight sim fan; I don't worry if the flight
> models are perfect or anything like that. I just wanna jump in and have
> some fun. Would Pacific Fighters be a good choice for this? Does it
> have a mission creator or instant action, or is it campaign-only?
>
> Appreciate and feedback!
> --
> Jim S.

I would say no definitely dont buy it if all you want is a fun sim. Pacific
Fighters is a hard core sim that doesnt provide much immersion in the game
itself - just really a series of one off missions. The graphics are quite
good along with all the IL2 games but the simulation itself is quite
unimpressive, I found, in terms of providing fun gameplay.

If you want an ultra detailed, graphically rich, Pacific based dogfight
simulation then buy it. If you want an immersive, fun game representative of
the real Pacific War with torpedo bombers, wingmen that train up as the
campaign goes along, carrier operations that represent the Americans and
Japs hiding and seeking each other out over a long drawn out campaign etc
etc this game will not be for you.

Flight sims have become really really dull these days. There are some
rehashes of older sims due shortly like B17 and Battle of Britain but in
terms of new sims we are well and truly stuffed for the near (or even far)
future. Sims are one of my favourite types of games - personally Ive played
some far more than I should have. But the IL2 games all leave me cold.

Nats

On Mon, 2 May 2005 18:23:29 +0100, "Nats"
<nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>I would say no definitely dont buy it if all you want is a fun sim.
<snip>
>Nats

Yep, that's about how I feel. It's a decent simulation of WWII planes
but it's not a very good game. I hear it's good if you're into MP
though, but I'm not into that myself.

"Nats" <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Jim S." <quint75@nowayinhellcharter.net> wrote in message
> >I love WWII era planes and especially those in the Pacific Theater. I
> > am not a real hard-core flight sim fan; I don't worry if the flight
> > models are perfect or anything like that. I just wanna jump in and have
> > some fun. Would Pacific Fighters be a good choice for this? Does it
> > have a mission creator or instant action, or is it campaign-only?
> >
> > Appreciate and feedback!
> > --
> > Jim S.
> >

> I would say no definitely dont buy it if all you want is a fun sim.
Pacific
> Fighters is a hard core sim that doesnt provide much immersion in the game
> itself - just really a series of one off missions. The graphics are quite
> good along with all the IL2 games but the simulation itself is quite
> unimpressive, I found, in terms of providing fun gameplay.
>
> If you want an ultra detailed, graphically rich, Pacific based dogfight
> simulation then buy it. If you want an immersive, fun game representative
of
> the real Pacific War with torpedo bombers, wingmen that train up as the
> campaign goes along, carrier operations that represent the Americans and
> Japs hiding and seeking each other out over a long drawn out campaign etc
> etc this game will not be for you.
>
> Flight sims have become really really dull these days. There are some
> rehashes of older sims due shortly like B17 and Battle of Britain but in
> terms of new sims we are well and truly stuffed for the near (or even far)
> future. Sims are one of my favourite types of games - personally Ive
played
> some far more than I should have. But the IL2 games all leave me cold.
>
> Nats

Nats, have you tried it with DCG? I find single player to be very immersive
with DCG in the Pacific as well as other theaters. Also, there are a ton of
user-made (and free) campaigns out there. My current favorite is "When
Tigers Could Fly" http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_campaigns_wtcf.htm),
an AVG P40 campaign in China.

The AI sometimes leaves a bit to be desired, you are right.

James

James Calivar wrote:

> Nats, have you tried it with DCG? I find single player to be very immersive
> with DCG in the Pacific as well as other theaters. Also, there are a ton of
> user-made (and free) campaigns out there. My current favorite is "When
> Tigers Could Fly" http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_campaigns_wtcf.htm),
> an AVG P40 campaign in China.
>
> The AI sometimes leaves a bit to be desired, you are right.

What is DCG?

--
Jim S.

James Calivar wrote:

> Be advised that if you want to install PF over top of IL2-FB, you also need
> to have the Aces Expansion Pack (AEP). IL2-FB and AEP are sold together
> nowadays as a "Gold Pack" so just pick that up instead of IL2-FB by itself.

Does the Gold Pack include the original IL2? From what I am reading, it doesn't
seem to. It seems to include the Aces pack and IL2-FB. Is that correct? If
so, is it worth spending the extra 10 bucks for the original ILM as well?

--
Jim S.

> James Calivar wrote:
>
>> Be advised that if you want to install PF over top of IL2-FB, you also
>> need
>> to have the Aces Expansion Pack (AEP). IL2-FB and AEP are sold together
>> nowadays as a "Gold Pack" so just pick that up instead of IL2-FB by
>> itself.
>
> Does the Gold Pack include the original IL2? From what I am reading, it
> doesn't
> seem to. It seems to include the Aces pack and IL2-FB. Is that correct?
> If
> so, is it worth spending the extra 10 bucks for the original ILM as well?
>
> --
> Jim S.

No, forget the original IL2. You get everything taht was in the original
IL2 in IL2-FB, plus complex engine management, more planes, more maps, etc.
So to reiterate:

- Get IL2-FB/AEP Gold Pack and install it
- Get PF and install it *over top of* your IL2-FB/AEP installation
- Patch to the latest version (3.04m as of this writing) - making sure to
use the combined installation patch, not the standalone patch
- Go to SimHQ's IL2 Sturmovik Essentials thread at http://tinyurl.com/b6vxw
(of particular recommendation are the Dynamic Campagin Generator "DCG", and
the campaigns and missions at Netwings.org and aircombat.net)
- Have fun!

Thanks so much for the info. I will do exactly as you said! :)

--
Jim S.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Nats" <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> I would say no definitely dont buy it if all you want is a fun sim.
> Pacific Fighters is a hard core sim that doesnt provide much immersion in
> the game itself - just really a series of one off missions. The graphics
> are quite good along with all the IL2 games but the simulation itself is
> quite unimpressive, I found, in terms of providing fun gameplay.
>
> If you want an ultra detailed, graphically rich, Pacific based dogfight
> simulation then buy it. If you want an immersive, fun game representative
> of the real Pacific War with torpedo bombers, wingmen that train up as the
> campaign goes along, carrier operations that represent the Americans and
> Japs hiding and seeking each other out over a long drawn out campaign etc
> etc this game will not be for you.

So what Pacific sim would you suggest then?
How about PF with the DCG addon? I dont think you've even played it

On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:37:18 +1200, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>So what Pacific sim would you suggest then?
>How about PF with the DCG addon? I dont think you've even played it

1942: Pacific Air War
No one has yet matched it for gameplay as far as the Pacific theater
goes and that's a 1993 sim.

jp

> On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:37:18 +1200, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>

> >So what Pacific sim would you suggest then?
> >How about PF with the DCG addon? I dont think you've even played it
> >

> 1942: Pacific Air War
> No one has yet matched it for gameplay as far as the Pacific theater
> goes and that's a 1993 sim.

Yes, I was always impressed by the gameplay of entire fleets traversing
across land masses, in my case, usually just before I was getting ready to
hit them. <g>

On Mon, 2 May 2005 17:52:53 -0500, "JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I was always impressed by the gameplay of entire fleets traversing
>across land masses, in my case, usually just before I was getting ready to
>hit them. <g>

Um, yea, but that was only if you played the strategic campaign
module. I don't remember that happening in the regular campaigns.
At least it had torpedo bombers. :)

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Codex" <no@email.here> wrote in message
> On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:37:18 +1200, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>

>>So what Pacific sim would you suggest then?
>>How about PF with the DCG addon? I dont think you've even played it
>>

> 1942: Pacific Air War
> No one has yet matched it for gameplay as far as the Pacific theater
> goes and that's a 1993 sim.

Fair one, the historical battles were brilliant. But good luck getting it
to run without alot of shagging around.
I tried with dosbox and vdm sound but no go.