[Q] Aztech Wall-Plugged Wireless-N Extender WL556E

ginyen95

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
i heard that this Aztech Wall-Plugged Wireless-N Extender WL556E thing can increase the wifi signal... if so, is the speed of the connection will slow down altough the wifi signal is increase?

for example my internet wifi transmitter is in 2nd floor of my house.. and i plug in this device at the ground floor( wifi signal 1 bar example) if the signal is 1 bar.. definitely the wifi speed will also decrease.. with this device help, it able to increase the wifi strength(area) at the ground floor in my house but how bout the speed? because this device only receive 1 bar of wifi signal..

so my question is, is the wifi signal speed will be maintain??

sorry for my bad english :p

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Lets assume you had perfect signal. Just using the repeater will slow you down....increase the latency... because it must take the signal in and then retransmit it out. This adds to delay.

Next when you have poor signal quality and you get errors in the transmission the device retransmit the data until they get a clean copy. Note poor signal quality and signal strength are not the same you can get poor quality ie errors even at full signal strength.

So in both cases you are getting data retransmitted causing delay, you goal is to minimize these.

So if your PC in the room can receive the signal at the same level as repeater you actually hurt yourself by adding the delay between the repeater and the pc rather than having the pc directly talk to the router.

The time a repeater would make sense is when the repeater can be placed in a location where it can receive signal and then send that to another location where the pc receives no or less signal. The optimum place to place a repeater is half way signal level wise between the PC and the router.

ginyen95

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

wow... that's complicated hahahaha... so what should i do?? my mum keep forcing me to buy a new powerful modem.. but the problem is my house is too damn big and alot of wall :/ any solution??

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Put the repeater on the second floor above the room you want signal...unless that is where the routers is.

You other option is to run a cable from the second to the first floor and put in a wireless AP.

If ethernet cable is not a option you can try powerline extender devices. They use the house wiring for lan cable. You can then plug a AP into these to give you wireless. These powerline extenders work in most houses but some they do not work well so be sure there is a good return policy from the store you buy them from